JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think no amount is enough. End of the day you always want more than your target and who knows how many that is, so better be prepared. Plus more than two may make me on the offensive but if someone's in my house unwelcomed your darn right the predator now becomes the prey!

I'm pissed-off in general about this topic. In the past few months, I've bought an AK and AR just to have them. I don't even really want them - I'd rather put the money toward an O/U shotgun, bolt rifle or any number of handguns. But, better to get them now, when I can, rather than wait until the future when I might not be able to get them.

Never pays to wait until some moron floats a bill to ban them. Gets too damned expensive. I've always managed to have a long-term view of such things. I picked up stuff like mags when I spotted them at decent prices well before I really needed them, knowing I'd need them someday. Like carbine mags and Garand clips. Never overboard, but I never considered 4 or 6 mags overboard. And after purchasing the weapon, 20 isn't overboard!

Magazines as a removable part of the firing system, and treat them as such.

They are expendable, so when you get a problem child.......either keep it for range use, or dump it, and get another.......they do wear out.

True. Always true. I'm more concerned with having enough to distribute to my caches and loss or damage over time than having enough stacked up for some epic firefight. Rifles like the Mini aren't made for that and the open flames that result seriously give away your location...:angry:

Good rule of thumb for me is

4+ for pistol
10+ for rifle

Load at home shoot on the range.

everyone's $ is different though so buy as many as you $/wife will let you.

My rule for high capacity magazines is a minimum of 12 for each pistol. And for assault rifles is minimum magazine height should equal minimum rifle length which I’m about one short.

My rule for high capacity magazines is a minimum of 12 for each pistol. And for assault rifles is minimum magazine height should equal minimum rifle length which I'm about one short.

I hope you don't apply that math to the Barret .50 if you ever have one! :s0001:

(yeah, I'm bored and reviving "old" threads")

((mods... check the language in this old thread and FIX it!! :D ))

I'm going to disagree with that. Unless the springs are inferior to begin with, it isn't being compressed that wears them out, its the cycling/repeated compression-decompression cycles that does it. And good springs don't wear out easily. Good mags tend to have good springs. Chintzy mags, chintzy springs.

I've taken out a Thermold mag that had been left loaded over 10 years, unloaded it the fun way. Functioned 100%. Same with a couple GI M14 mags.

I've heard this about old 1911's found decades after the owner put it away, cocked and locked, and the pistol functioned as if it were the next day.

It seems counterintuitive but I think Mark's post is probably right.

How many mags? Under "normal" circumstances 4-5 for pistol and 6-7 for rifle seems like the way it's worked out around here.

Under these current circumstances, who can say? They could be an investment intended for later resale as "pre-re-ban" couldn't they?

During the last "ban" I really wasn't paying attention to the shooting world, so I kind of missed the whole thing.

This is not too different than preparing for a power outage, blocked roads to food stores, or any other interruption of goods and services.

It is annoying but better than kicking yourself later when you can't do anything about it!

We don't want to get rid of any of our 'preparedness' gear (MRE's, water, bug-out-bag, emergency lights, heat and stove, etc.) once we have it, and that's a powerful test of the wisdom of the investment.

I'm pissed-off in general about this topic. In the past few months, I've bought an AK and AR just to have them. I don't even really want them - I'd rather put the money toward an O/U shotgun, bolt rifle or any number of handguns. But, better to get them now, when I can, rather than wait until the future when I might not be able to get them.

One sure way to find yourself with more than you need is to be an inveterate experimenter and/or packrat, especially when there are several aftermarket choices available. I hate selling anything: if they work OK, why? I can always include an excess mag in a can of ammo. And if they don't, I hate to resell crap someone once sold me. :complain::s0002:

Looks like we need to start a thread on "bug out gear"

I've only recently become acquainted with this concept. Do share.

I'm more of a "bug-in" kind of guy. I've got diabetes, so if things hit hard enough where I've gotta run around in the woods with a bag over my shoulder for the long-term, I'm pretty much SOL. But, I suppose it'd depend on the circumstances.

In general, I'm more focussed on prepping my home for whatever may arise.

But, someone should start a thread on emergency prep and/or bug-out ideas. I think there may be one started somewhere already - maybe it needs to be bumped back up.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top