JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Spitpatch- Sorry I wasn't more specific on military actions. The "gas guns" are definitely less capable of handling pressures we would consider normal in a Bolt Action. Loading .223 to bolt action specs can be a disaster in an AR. Likewise for M-1's, M-14/M-1A's. Have you noticed how some manufacturers are now marking the headstamps of their .308 ammo "M1-A" when sold for use in a 7.62x51 "gas gun"?

As for the 1903, it's one of my favorite rifles and I shoot one regularly. It appears to be the basis of the Remington 700 design minus the extractor claw and third bolt lug.

I also agree that proof pressures are not to be used as targets but merely mentioned them for the purpose of pointing out that modern rifles are tested way beyond the published "Max".

Almost all of the catastrophic failures I have either witnessed or observed the results of have been the result of other than high pressure loads. Obstructed barrels from squibs and wrong powder/double charges are the other most common.

What's really interesting is that almost all of my "difficult bolt lift" incidents have involved Factory Ammo.

Here you are on another forum spitting your bogus information as usual. Gas guns, military or civilian are designed to run at lower pressures than bolt guns. In my experience, which is obviously a good bit more than yours, is that M110s, Larue OBRs, GAP10, ARMALITE SASS models, all run at a substantially lower pressure than say the M24. Theres this thing called carrier bounce that happens with AR-10 pattern rifles, if the load is too hot the gun feed reliably. And M1As dont explode when you run them hot, the piston just cracks and the oprod batters, you can make a simple adjustment to the gas system to take care of that.

The only thing I go off the reservation with is my Winchester Model 1895 in 30-40 Krag. ALL loads found in the books are based on very conservitive pressures because of the 1896 Krag Jorgenson bolt action. Yet the exact same rifle was chambered in .405 Win and 30-06 Spr. Now the -06 offerings did suffer from some compression of the bolt face due to the steel not being up to the 58-60K CUP pounding.

I load my 30-40Krag loads to just over the published data (I can accutually find the same loads listed on various web sites and other non book sources) and have never had a lick of issue with the pressures its generating.

I'm seeing almost .308 level performance from the loads which is all I need. The rifle likes it the target likes it I like it and the cases appear to deal with it quite well.

Here you are on another forum spitting your bogus information as usual. Gas guns, military or civilian are designed to run at lower pressures than bolt guns. In my experience, which is obviously a good bit more than yours, is that M110s, Larue OBRs, GAP10, ARMALITE SASS models, all run at a substantially lower pressure than say the M24. Theres this thing called carrier bounce that happens with AR-10 pattern rifles, if the load is too hot the gun feed reliably. And M1As dont explode when you run them hot, the piston just cracks and the oprod batters, you can make a simple adjustment to the gas system to take care of that.

So what exactly did I say in my post that wasn't "in line" with what you said. Don't recall using the word "explode". To many, broken (cracked) pieces can be a disaster.

As for your "expertise", why is it wherever you go you seem to want to start a "unit" measuring contest.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top