JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
How long?
Probably the first night without street lights in large urban areas then radiating out from there for as long as it takes authorities to get their act together.

I think is states like Oregon even though they are liberal friendly our NW states are also full of firearms. Walking up and taking firearms will be harder then they think. What they will do is try and use examples to scare others to comply. Hate to use TV movies but Red Dawn was a prime example how through terror alone citizens were rounded up that is no doubt a viable tactic given Fema or what ever really would not have the man power after the initial threat was over.
Once regular Joes find themselves locking up kids and women it wont be long before if not in the beginning many will not comply with federal orders.

Or the constant threat of volcano zombies!
th?id=OIP.Mf304bcb75ab11d555fe8ddfc48c3bf9cH0&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300.jpg

th?id=OIP.M750e2d99ebe87ff7dcedff742954b9a6H0&pid=15.1&P=0&w=301&h=170.jpg

A full rupture of the CSZ will be much, much more sigificant than any earthquake we've ever had in modern history. It will affect 700 miles of coastline and approximately 250 miles inland.

Portland alone is expected to be without running water or sewage for 6-10 months.

If you thought taxes to pay for the Big Pipe project were bad, wait til they have to rebuild that & every single sewer line. I'd say a year to get it back to 1900 standards. Rebuilding the Big Pipe would take a decade, not to mention the damage from all buildings, roads & the Willamette River falling into the giant holes in the ground. And none of that could start until the freeway ingress & ports were repaired.

I have read the Oregon Resilence Plan among others. There are some very accurate predictions and assumptions there, but I also submit that there is no way in hell anybody or agency or group could model with any accuracy what could possibly happen. If a government says it will take 3 months to restore infrastructure, then it will take at least one year.

The minute the food stuffs in the grocery stores and Plaid Donkeys start running out is when the bottom feeders will start preditating on the unprepared. This will happen within 24 hours of incidence, and in town and urban conflicts will be violent and the weak will soon be vanquished and their stores (if any) will be taken.

Lower social economic sections of society will have a more rapid movement towards anarchy, since they live in tighter closer groupings, and have a tendency to only have a day or so of food on hand, and no spare water.

Utility infrastructure failure, especially water will cause the most immediate unrest. Just assuming that if the bridges are fine that the rest of the transportation infrastructure ill be fine as well is simply not true. There will be multiple other types of road failures, pavement compromises, that in wet Western Oregon will render surface transportation impossible. That means very little surface transported relief will reach the masses in any kind of a timely manner, and when it did, interdiction by armed groups at choke points is going to happen.

Hell, the whole Portland metro area is located on a flood plain and has some of the most unstable soil conditions around. Mountain passes in both the Cascades and Coast Range will be completely rearranged and unpassable for months if not years.

There is simply no way to accurately predict what level of damage there will be and what infrastructure restoration will look like or how long it will take.

Soon after the Oregon Resilience Plan was released we had a state official give a presentation here in V-town on what we could expect here locally.

His words..."Expect to be on your own for a long time."

E

i'll stay right where i am in keizer. got plenty of meat in the freezer and access to an artesian well. portland will be an absolute sh!t show.

Surprised no one has mentioned dams. Many of us live below a series of dams. True they are well built and inspected, however some have given way without much incentive.
I have considered this quite often for the past 25 years. Many folks dismiss this claiming it would be a suicide mission to blow a dam to which my reply is "and?"
the method is not obscure, nor difficult

Surprised no one has mentioned dams. Many of us live below a series of dams. True they are well built and inspected, however some have given way without much incentive.

".....well built"????To what standards? Fern Ridge isn't built to any standard! Blue River, Cougar, Hills Creek, Lookout Point, Dexter, Fall Creek are way under current Oregon seismic standards. If anyone watched the last CSZ thingy on OPB, our Oregon seismic standards are below minimum.

For those that attended the inundation map presentation by the ACoE; did anyone ask about redundancy? In other words, how long are the dams expected to function after the "the big one"? The answer I received was; quote "three days".

It takes electrical power to move those gates, if they still function after the big one. The speaker didn't go into how, if at all, there is a plan to get diesel or what ever else might be needed to get er going again.

Then there is the rock with earth fill or earth with rock fill portion to question. The taller the structure the more it shakes & will flex. Keep your drift boats at the ready.

Foreverlost,

How long before chaos starts?

Look at the Katrina experience. If that's any indication, it will be immediately if the event happens during daytime, or as soon as daylight breaks, and the good citizens realize there's not gonna be any police response.

In fact a lot of the scenario describes a slightly amplified version of normal life- we have a couple shootings here in the Puget Sound area every day, routine shoplifiting, carjackings, home invasions. That's while things are "normal". We've just become accustomed to it.

In my experience the chaos is already happening every day in the metro areas without any earthquake or other major catastrophe.

It's not when does it start really, it's a question of how soon does it get worse! :)

Perhaps the better question is, When does it end? Once they realize someone is going to put them in jail.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top