JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
How many here carry a revolver?

Which one?

I've been considering trying a revolver in 38 for daily concealment.

Thanks!

Reno

I have a Ruger SP101 in. 38 special that I tote from time to time. I bobbed the hammer and took down all of the sharp edges for snag free pocket carry. Only thing I don't like about it is that it's stainless. Well, ammo is cheap enough anyway.

I don't carry it as much as I used to, but I've had a Taurus 605 in .38 Special / .357 Magnum for a while and like it. It carries easy and has a nice trigger. I carry with .38 Special +P loads rather than full-house .357 Magnums. When hiking, I carry some snake shot too.

466140-e75a1ff473e0b9ea141bf94570a4e80a.jpg

At one time I daily carried a Ruger Security Six with the 2 3/4 inch barrel...that was a heavy but excellent carry revolver.
My usual carry load was the 158 grain SWCHP .38 Special load.

I'd love to get a 4 inch barreled version....
Andy

I have a Ruger SP101 in. 38 special that I tote from time to time. I bobbed the hammer and took down all of the sharp edges for snag free pocket carry. Only thing I don't like about it is that it's stainless. Well, ammo is cheap enough anyway.
I've thought about the SP101 in 38 or 9mm. Without the hammer it seems like a good revolver.

I'm too small for pocket carrying anything bigger than a LCP sized pistol, but I'm pondering the thought of a good OWB rig with something small like the SP101 or similar.
S&W 342 PD.......at 10.8 oz., about as light weight a revolver as you'll find.

View attachment 540083
I'm not horribly familiar with S&W products but I'll definitely look at these.

329 in the woods.
J-frame under 13oz Titanium [Pre lock] around the house at times when in sweats.

The little J-frame's cylinder is still a pain to carry compared to something as small and flat as a G-43.
It's very light. But lumpy. :s0114:

IMG_0486.JPG IMG_0488.JPG

Last Edited:
I've thought about the SP101 in 38 or 9mm. Without the hammer it seems like a good revolver.

I'm too small for pocket carrying anything bigger than a LCP sized pistol, but I'm pondering the thought of a good OWB rig with something small like the SP101 or similar.

I'm not horribly familiar with S&W products but I'll definitely look at these.
I have a Versacarry for it, which works. However it's a bit weird (for me) to IWB a revolver. So usually I will carry it in a jacket inside breast pocket or outer pocket, depends on the jacket.

When I'm not carrying one of my SIG P938s I carry this S&W Model 60 no dash, loaded with Hornady Critical Defense, and two speedloaders loaded with the same.

9sm6j7l.jpg

When I got it it was new in the box and had a horribly heavy double action trigger pull, beyond the 12 lb. maximum on my Lyman trigger pull gauge. The stiff trigger pull and narrow grooved trigger was actually painful.

DSC_0489_zpsyvasmbgs.jpg
Ks2Tjn7.jpg

I did a trigger job including a lighter rebound slide spring, installed a smooth combat trigger and bobbed hammer (because I agree with this Why All Defensive Revolvers Should be Double Action Only), and replaced the grips with Crimson Trace LG-305 Lasergrips. I still have all of the original parts so I can always return it to its original configuration.

Last Edited:
329 in the woods.
J-frame under 13oz Titanium [Pre lock] around the house at times when in sweats.

The little J-frame's cylinder is still a pain to carry compared to something as small and flat as a G-43.
It's very light. But lumpy. :s0114:

View attachment 540088 View attachment 540089
Good visual.

I'm uncertain, I'm a narrow guy so I'm trying to see if the shape of the revolver may wrap around better.

I'm a 32" waist and only maybe 5" deep so my hips don't allow for the grips on most guns to go anywhere but out into my shirt unless I put my holster basically on my backside where I hate having it.

My thoughts are the boomerang shape of a revolver may hug my hip better than the more strainght angle of semi autos.

So far if it ain't tiny like my LCP, it sticks out anywhere on my hip from 3-5.

I've been wanting to check out a .327 mag small frame revolver. Ballistics look pretty good and I think they come in 7 round cylinders.
I do like the S&W ultra lights. Heard there were issues with the scandium frames but must be through that as they are still making them.

My favorite carry gun is a S&W Model-19 with a 2-1/2" barrel.:) My Bride calls it Baby.:) It's only been around since I bought it in the '70s.:) It's been refinished three times now. From Blue to Electroless Nickel and then back to Blue.:) Which was done by a fine gentleman by the name of Mel Doyle, over in ID.:) Because of my health I had recently stopped carrying it.:(:(:(

Edited to include:it
I forgot to mention that I also removed the Hammer Spur and cut grooves in the top so by very carefully pulling back on the Trigger you can still Vick the Hammer.:) Of course, it has been turned(also by me) so it has an extremely light Trigger pull.:)

Besides being my carry and BUG it also was my Beer gun and helped me to win several Cases of Brewsky!:)

Last Edited:
I used to carry a KelTec P-11, but I wanted something more reliable, in a fashion, than a semi-auto offered. I picked up an LCR in 38 and carried it with Hornady 38 spl +p. Super light but not real fun to shoot. I'm also a bit of a stainless fan, so I got an SP101 (spurless) in .357 a while back and carry the same Hornady ammo in it. It certainly is heavier but that makes it more pleasant to shoot so I practice more and am able to stay on target better. Besides, with the right belt and holster, it carries fine and is only slightly larger than the LCR. In fact, I carry it in a DeSantis LCR holster and it fits like it was made for it. I've tried several other custom holsters, but the DeSantis works for me better than the others. I carry a speed strip just in case, in a little holder on my belt, which is an A&G Gun Leather reinforced bull hide belt. Hasn't deformed at all in the past several years.

Whatever your choice, good luck and chose what works for you.

I'm a 32" waist and only maybe 5" deep so my hips don't allow for the grips on most guns to go anywhere but out into my shirt unless I put my holster basically on my backside where I hate having it.
I guess appendix isn't an option?

That solved it for me and I am of a similar build.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top