JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A "good" one is hard to find around here. There are a few in the PDX area, and just 1 over here that is worth going to.

It is for sure a dying art.

I work for a gun manufacturer and our head gunsmith who has been in the trade since he was 14 and is now 59, says that even the "good" gunsmiths are hardly gunsmiths. 45 years of smithing and he still doesnt consider himself a master. Only a journeyman.

I love gunsmithing and learning about it. What type if work are you looking to do if you start?

I work for a gun manufacturer and our head gunsmith who has been in the trade since he was 14 and is now 59, says that even the "good" gunsmiths are hardly gunsmiths. 45 years of smithing and he still doesnt consider himself a master. Only a journeyman.

I love gunsmithing and learning about it. What type if work are you looking to do if you start?
Not thinking about refinishing/bluing/cerakoting, Class 3 mfg, or any of that. Just typical diagnose/repair; functional safety checks; barrel threading; sights installation, etc. The stuff one can learns with AGI Prof gunsmithing videos (complete handgun, rifle shotgun course, not just the individual gun DVDs). I'd also go through a brief apprenticeship with the guy I'am buying the business from. Why you ask?

About the journeyman/master thing, no matter how long you've been on a business or trade, it is always healthy to consider oneself a journeyman: "Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall" Prov 16:18

Last Edited:
Not thinking about refinishing/bluing/cerakoting, Class 3 mfg, or any of that. Just typical diagnose/repair; functional safety checks; barrel threading; sights installation, etc. The stuff one can learns with AGI Prof gunsmithing videos (complete handgun, rifle shotgun course, not just the individual gun DVDs). I'd also go through a brief apprenticeship with the guy I'am buying the business from. Why you ask?

About the journeyman/master thing, no matter how long you've been on a business or trade, it is always healthy to consider oneself a journeyman: "Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall" Prov 16:18
I was just curious as to what type of work you were going to be doing.

Only a handful of competent 'Smiths in the area, and they are ether dying off, quitting, or so over booked that it's getting hard to find availability!
Plenty of work available, but this area is VERY picky on the quality and customer care that is offered, and more telling is word of mouth in places such as this sight which can kill a 'Smith surely as a bullet to the head!

If you are serious in your intentions, you might consider becoming a supporting vendor here at North West Firearms, which among the benefits offered, gives you very broad exposure to a 44,000 and growing membership base, That kind of exposure is YUGE!
@Joe Link will be happy to discuss this with you at your pleasure, and I know the members here will be chomping at the bit to get another good 'Smith into the area ready to service their needs!

In the area you mention there is a need for a gunsmith. Marcus passed away ( Al's Gun Shop Verboort) a few months ago now. I've already noticed an overall increase in work.

Need to get a sense of how many gunsmiths are in the Hillsboro/Beaverton/Aloha/Cornelius/Forest Grove area. Anyone here care to chime in? I am trying to get a sense of whether this area can accept more competition.
Check with MK Tactical. Michael over there is a great guy and might have some leads for you.

I would suggest you consider specialty work such as Pistolsmithing and stay away from the Bugs. If you want to consider General Gunsmithing; you should really consider going to one of the schools. I'm not sure if they are still offering a program but there was a school called Trinidad State Junior College down in Trinidad Colorado. They have a VERY Good track record.

Like most art, it is dying because people want things cheap and fast.

So true. In this day and age when you can buy a decently usable deer rifle with a scope at Bi-Mart for $279, few people want to pay a gunsmith what he needs to make a living. Overhead, self-employment costs, paperwork, licensing, insurance, etc..

I looked into it at one time, since I've had interest and aptitude for many years. I came to realize that even once I went through everything it would take to get established, it would probably still pay less than what I make now.

I know there are some good, experienced smiths out there who do OK. I'm glad for that, but personally I wouldn't care to try to get started nowadays. Just my opinion.

no doubt. titles such as "master" are for those who like to THINK they know what theyre doin.i know some complete morons who are "masters"(on paper) in the trade im in.

Only a handful of competent 'Smiths in the area, and they are ether dying off, quitting, or so over booked that it's getting hard to find availability!
Plenty of work available, but this area is VERY picky on the quality and customer care that is offered, and more telling is word of mouth in places such as this sight which can kill a 'Smith surely as a bullet to the head!

If you are serious in your intentions, you might consider becoming a supporting vendor here at North West Firearms, which among the benefits offered, gives you very broad exposure to a 44,000 and growing membership base, That kind of exposure is YUGE!
@Joe Link will be happy to discuss this with you at your pleasure, and I know the members here will be chomping at the bit to get another good 'Smith into the area ready to service their needs!
Will becoming a supporting vendor buy me protection from dissatisfied customers?!?! :p

Last Edited:
In the area you mention there is a need for a gunsmith. Marcus passed away ( Al's Gun Shop Verboort) a few months ago now. I've already noticed an overall increase in work.
Sad knew about Marcus, I heard the other day about it from Michael (MK Tactical). Is Roger from Revelation still in business? (rhetorical question, if I wanted to know for real, I'd give him a call).

Last Edited:
Like most art, it is dying because people want things cheap and fast.
Several years ago I had someone do some work for me. After I complained about the shoddy work he did he said, "there is quality, cheap and fast; you can have any two, but not all three." I learned that day, if I were ever in service industry and can't give high quality, I would not take a job, and refer it to someone else. Do unto others...

Come on, Ura-Ki, don't you have a sense of humor?

I completely agree with your post! I am one very picky customer, too. Word-of-webboard can be double edged sword. And, yes, I would also become a supporting vendor, for better or worse. HAHAHA I just couldn't resist...

So true. In this day and age when you can buy a decently usable deer rifle with a scope at Bi-Mart for $279, few people want to pay a gunsmith what he needs to make a living. Overhead, self-employment costs, paperwork, licensing, insurance, etc..

I looked into it at one time, since I've had interest and aptitude for many years. I came to realize that even once I went through everything it would take to get established, it would probably still pay less than what I make now.

I know there are some good, experienced smiths out there who do OK. I'm glad for that, but personally I wouldn't care to try to get started nowadays. Just my opinion.
Agreed. Can't raise a family or even pay your most basic bills if this is your sole source of income. Some folks just want to supplement retirement income. That's my story.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top