JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If it looks like Hollywood might think it is an actual ray gun, I refer to it as a spacegun.
I asked because I acquired a rifle some time back as part of an estate thing that the owner referred to as a "space gun", but it's a very special purpose looking custom built bolt action rifle with extremely precise iron sights, in 6.5 Creedmore. I assume it's built for some very specific competition but it's all metal and the 'stock' is coated in metallic blue.

My son refers to it as "the blue glitter gun", if that gives you any idea.

I'm thinking it's possibly made for Standard class High Power shooting or something.

I have always enjoyed shooting as a sport. I love target shooting whether it's Trap, pistols or rifles. I've always carried a handgun, so how many is a very subjective question. I don't smoke or drink, so I justify gun purchase costs based on that. So my answer would be: a .22 target pistol, .22 target rifle, an EDC handgun, a couple of shotguns and an AR. Oh! I also have a nice pellet gun and a fully automatic MP 40 BB gun just because it's fun to shoot.

A proper firearms enthusiast needs:

enough firearms to avoid the silent judging, integrally part the whole PNW passive-aggressive culture, of the rest of the firearms community; and

A number less than the amount that the not-so-silent deem a characteristic of mental disorder.

Even if they don't get shot all the time there is always fondle time. Hold them and tell them they are just as important as the others and you don't love them any less or more than any of their siblings. That way none of them will have hurt feelings and will remain psychologically balanced. Unlike their daddy.
So tru
I started out with two, but then I put them away in the safe... And the next day a few more appeared... Been happening like this for years.

Two would have been fine but they keep reproducing. And now I can't play favorites, it would hurt the others feelings.
I usually say to my wife my little girl needs a new gun ( my dog loves to hunt squirrels ) , wife smiles and says yes she does .

I know the answer on this one, at least personally: When the bases are covered, projects are done (or essentially so), and you find the whole topic pretty damn boring all around.

I've got a couple lingering projects that are essentially only waiting on Federal incompetence. (And a few extra parts.) One of the two, in hindsight, I probably wouldn't have bothered with starting, but as it has, I'll see it through, and have some fun. Regardless, both should be done in the coming months.

I still look occasionally on GB and one of our primary rifles should likely be replaced, but I bother less often with the former and am not too concerned about the latter. I've dumped a bunch of guns earlier in the year, am seriously considering another one or two this week, time permitting. I sent off a large box of parts to Numrich last week, and might have one more final this week to send off. If the wife wants to jettison any of her firearms, I'll do so, though she's been at least as slammed for time as I have, and is headed back to school tomorrow. I'd say about a quarter of our collection is NFA, so too much of a PITA to sell, but I would get rid of a couple if the moronic law didn't result in a limited secondary market.

I still shoot on the home range at times, including more so this month, since I finally got some time off. Its been on my list for a while to clean up and improve said and I've made some steps, but am not in any hurry, and our setup works for our purposes. I likely will not have time to return to hunting soon, though would like to go varminting again. Other activities (e.g., clays, silhouettes, et. al.) either little interest or are done informally here.

More than anything I just find the subject matter pretty uninteresting these days and it seems more like a chore and hassle than anything. Odd space to be in, but it be. No idea why really; bases covered, general burn out, limited time earlier in the year, shifting priorities, disgust with some of aspects of the gun culture ... who knows. It is not the only fascination I've recently grown disinterested in and can't say that I really care either, beyond an academic analysis of the situation. But what is present now can change on the morrow. (Honk-honk. :s0112:)

I set my limit in the triple digits.

"Collecting" was fun. "Gathering" was fun too. But after a long hard look at everything...... you can only have so-many of the "rare and unusual" firearms to make it all worth while. The rest just take up space and may be better suited for someone else's "collection". ;)

I think I've sold off all the guns I'm going to for awhile. Have been in the prepping mindset for awhile, trying to outfit the farm with the tools needed if society takes a bad turn.

The only hole I have in my preps (that I'm aware of) is a rifle in 556. The rest of the calibers/uses are covered well enough that I think I can get back to working on my inventions.

The answer to "how many is enough" is, for me, eleven - and I have ten. I'll get the 556 later.

I'm sure I'll find some shiny hunk of iron that I "need". Like another Davidson's 5" GP100...

The way things are shaping up, I'm more interested in stocking up on ammo than in getting another gun.

EDIT: I decided to get another of those Ruger revolvers. Not that I need another one...

Last Edited:
Have the major self defense calibers covered, long guns, handguns, shotguns, in sufficient numbers to arm the family. Then ensure there's enough on the shelf to feed them should a protracted shortage ensue.

Turning attention to water filtration, dry goods, and backup power...

I asked because I acquired a rifle some time back as part of an estate thing that the owner referred to as a "space gun", but it's a very special purpose looking custom built bolt action rifle with extremely precise iron sights, in 6.5 Creedmore. I assume it's built for some very specific competition but it's all metal and the 'stock' is coated in metallic blue.

My son refers to it as "the blue glitter gun", if that gives you any idea.

I'm thinking it's possibly made for Standard class High Power shooting or something.
I'll bet that it's an "open sight, machine, gun" that is made for extreme distance and accuracy shooting. They are actually clamped to a table. I'e seen some that are fired with an electric solenoid instead of a trigger.

So how many guns are enough? Is it 10, 20 , 30 50? I have never believed in a number that says you have enough. What I run into into is I shoot the same ones all the time. The others just sit around and get reoiled from time to time. I like having the options of others but they never seem to make it to the range. Just wondering how many others run into this. It doesn't cross my mind to get rid of any either.
I recall being told once, 'Beware the one gun owner'.

I sold a gun a couple of years ago and still regret it. I had three variations of the same pistol and sold the pretty case hardened one. I thought that it would just be a safe queen, but then started thinking about parts availability if things go south with the 2nd Amendment. I did purchase a similar compact pistol with the proceeds, but overall I think that I did not get the value from the sale and the FFL took advantage of me by not following the contract - only got one chance at that and will never do business with him again.

I do have some shotguns and rifles that need repair/refurbishing that I will sell when done, but none of my primary guns will ever get sold. I have what I believe is a good selection of rifles and pistols to cover all of my wants and needs. Yeah right:s0140:

It is easier to say what is the minimum than what is the maximum. "Enough" is somewhere in between.

Also, to what end? I.E. for what purpose?

First thing that comes to my mind is SHTF - since I am a prepper. Self-defense is a subset of that - think of prepper guns as self-defense plus hunting.

So, going down that road, 3-4 per person; a self-defense handgun, a self-defense rifle and a .22 rimfire of some sort - preferably, a shotgun in addition to the rest.

Now add onto that, "stash" or backup guns; what happens if for whatever reason you are deprived of your primary weapons? It would be nice to know you have other guns "stashed" somewhere as a backup. So 3 more guns as a backup - per person.

Now add onto that - what about family and neighbors? How about a handgun and rifle for each of those?

How about special purpose guns? A gun for deer, a gun for elk, guns for bear (I have a gun for black bear, one for brown bears and one for polar bears).

It adds up.

To bring this back to reality, most of that is just excuses for owning more guns - right.

So maybe 3-4 guns per person in the household should be enough.
LOL, my 8 year old grandson who was recently out from Kentucky for three weeks asked to see some of my guns. When he asked how many I had-I replied "enough for you, me and his Gigi to have 4 each and that still isn't enough...."

I'll bet that it's an "open sight, machine, gun" that is made for extreme distance and accuracy shooting.
That's a good guess, but that's not what it is. It's a 6.5 CM custom with aperture sights, very sophisticated, and a sling. The finish is metallic blue and silver. My son refers to it as the "blue glitter gun", I call it the smurf rifle.

I assume it's made for some sort of offhand competition shooting.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top