JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The right number of guns for me seems to be pretty consistently one more than what I have, however many that is.

I am close to the end. However a certain weapon of war has my attention. The owner is unclear whether it first saw combat in the revolutionary war, or maybe 1812. That and a 4 gauge blunderbuss. To go with the spaceguns.

So how many guns are enough? Is it 10, 20 , 30 50? I have never believed in a number that says you have enough. What I run into into is I shoot the same ones all the time. The others just sit around and get reoiled from time to time. I like having the options of others but they never seem to make it to the range. Just wondering how many others run into this. It doesn't cross my mind to get rid of any either.

WHATEVER your number is.... it is NOT enough!

Well, I joined the Army right after Saigon fell in 1975 and ended up 64C (truck driver) at Leonard Wood in Missouri. Real exciting. (not really) Morale was at an all-time low, and frankly it was more like the movie Stripes than any service you would see today. Then they posted me to a Basic Training Company as permanent party right up the frickin' street from the company where I actually trained. I had to pull CQ a lot at night and lie to my Top Sergeant's wife when she called asking where he was. This was usually the EM club where he drank and tried to pick up girls. Talk about boring...my other job was driving lunch out to the trainees or something wherever they happened to be that day.

BUT...the one thing we COULD do was we had almost unlimited access to the Arms Room, as well as the ammunition. ('Training purposes' lol) M-16 ammo all day, quite a lot of 30 caliber, but we couldn't touch the grenades, 50 cal ammo, or that stuff. 40 MM shells for Thumper (M79)...eh...semi-okay as long as we didn't get too carried away on the ammo.

So on weekends me and a couple of my buddies would do the range bit and have a lot of fun.
The point of all this is that once I got out, I figured I only needed the basic weapons and I would be pretty picky, and I would go for the classic stuff. That's how it's been ever since. But then...I'm old as dirt so it's sort of expected.

Well, I need enough for 3-gun, so there's that. Then there's Wild West 3-gun 4-gun, then there's rimfire speed steel, then rimfire precision, PRS in multiple flavors, carry gun...

My problem is I like to play a lot of games...and damn, are there a lot of games in the firearms world.

To be fair, I do find myself, after doing a quick mental inventory, to be peculiarly rich in heavy barreled 308 Win bolt action rifles. It just sort of happened, but I have a bunch of them in various configurations, none of which, hilariously enough, I've ever fired. Perhaps I should shoot some and trade some.

So.....How many is enough?

I still haven't found that number yet, but tell you what.....My kids will let you all know after I'm dead and buried. 'Cause that's what it's gonna take for me to stop collecting and shooting! :cool:

Enjoy the ride, it don't last forever!

Well it depends, are you a bona fide collector? Or just want a firearm best suited to fit every role you require? If its the later, like me, this is how I view a good rounded TO&E

Full size pistol
EDC pistol (compact)
22LR pistol
Pistol cartridge carbine
Combat rifle (5.56)
Combat rifle heavy (7.62x51 etc.)
Hunting rifle
22LR rifle
Shotgun (sporting)
Combat shotgun

Some of the above can fill dual roles, but you get the idea. I also recommend you double some of them. 2 is 1, 1 is none;)

So 10 if you dont have replacements or none are serving a dual role.

The tried and true. The same ones for years and no plans for future purchases unless they are black powder, which I have taken a liking to lately:

S/W Model 4506
Ruger MK-2 for plinking
30/30 Win NOT pre-64. Hunting I suppose.
Marlin 22 tube loader, with dial up to 16x scope and windage adjustments. That's for crows. I HATE crows.
Pietta 1851 Navy Colt in 36 caliber. Most recent one. You point it, and hits no problem. The roundball will go right through and out the other side of a green propane canister with a 20 grain load.

That's about it. About as old school as it gets. :) The only gun I miss is when I sold that 22 Belgian Browning Challenger. A more accurate 22 pistol at longer ranges I had not seen. Once you figured out that big blade sight it was party over for whatever you aimed at.

Last Edited:
To be fair, I do find myself, after doing a quick mental inventory, to be peculiarly rich in heavy barreled 308 Win bolt action rifles. It just sort of happened, but I have a bunch of them in various configurations, none of which, hilariously enough, I've ever fired. Perhaps I should shoot some and trade some.
[/QUO
I hear you but to me it is 9's.Out of close to 50 I have fired maybe 4 of them. Will I ever fire them all? God let me live another 15 years and we will see;)
I think I'm done buying and then another 2 or 3 pop up that get put on my must have list. :D

I have pretty much stopped buying guns and am concentrating on accessories to make the ones that I have better. I have plenty of ammo and reloading supplies. Upgrading triggers, optics and stocks are what I am concentrating on right now. Prices for those items are good right now and since retailers don't have the ammo or guns to sell, they seem to be having great sales on accessories.

I have pretty much stopped buying guns and am concentrating on accessories to make the ones that I have better. I have plenty of ammo and reloading supplies. Upgrading triggers, optics and stocks are what I am concentrating on right now. Prices for those items are good right now and since retailers don't have the ammo or guns to sell, they seem to be having great sales on accessories.

Yup, for me it is filling in a few holes in my ammo inventory, picking up optics/etc., and probably going to have a few rifles parkerized. Then maybe send a few SIGs to the SIG Armorer for trigger/action mods. Get some conversion barrels for some SIGs too. I am gathering and organizing mags, but I think I mostly have enough.

I also am a fan of items like the Beretta Cx4, the tavor and a couple other guns that routinely show up in sci fi movies as a gun used in the distant future in space. I tend to be a fan of ultra modern and very old school. If it looks like Hollywood might think it is an actual ray gun, I refer to it as a spacegun. This would qualify as well.

HERAM-Arms-CQR.jpg

I also am a huge fans of antique arms. I do not own many originals, just 1 of those. A percussion cap pistol that likely went through the Mexican-American and Civil War. Well, and a few original swords.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top