JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So how many guns are enough? Is it 10, 20 , 30 50? I have never believed in a number that says you have enough. What I run into into is I shoot the same ones all the time. The others just sit around and get reoiled from time to time. I like having the options of others but they never seem to make it to the range. Just wondering how many others run into this. It doesn't cross my mind to get rid of any either.

Take what you have now, add one then shampoo, rinse and repeat.

Or you could say 3 - a pistol for easy EDC. A rifle for fighting and food gathering, and a shotgun also for fighting and food gathering. All can provide fun.

If you like variety - 3 of each type you like.

Or you can ask your wife, I bet she'll have a firm answer, but you might not like it :p

I used to think the number was infinite. Then I realized shooting was more important that simply having options, ammo was the better investment. Turns out you can do a lot more with less if you have enough trigger time.

If a gun in my collection doesn't get shot much I sell it or trade it off.
Some guns I've gotten rid of because I got bored of shooting them.
Some guns I admit, I simply couldn't shoot very well,which sucks,because I really wanted to like the FEG BHP clone and Gen 1 Walther P99 I had.

Right now I have less than 10 and feel entirely satisfied, just wish I had more time to go to the range.

Last Edited:
So how many guns are enough? Is it 10, 20 , 30 50? I have never believed in a number that says you have enough. What I run into into is I shoot the same ones all the time. The others just sit around and get reoiled from time to time. I like having the options of others but they never seem to make it to the range. Just wondering how many others run into this. It doesn't cross my mind to get rid of any either.
The answer is simple and works for everyone. Just one more:s0140:

The problem for me currently is that I love the idea of so many different guns. Oh, that single stack 9 I held felt great! Time to do some research because I have a thing for stainless guns. Oh look! A Kahr T9! A few mags later, the novelty has worn off but I'm still in love with the idea of it and they are hard to come by. If I got rid of it, I'd miss it. The same is true for so many of my guns. If I kept just the ones I shoot more regularly now, it'd be my Winchester 9422, a Ruger American Rimfire with Tech Sights, and my new CZ 457 scoped for accurate rimfire plinking. All in 22lr.

So, do I NEED a bunch of guns? Probably not. Do I WANT a bunch of guns? Definitely! With the hassle of selling, am I likely to get rid of any? Nope. Of the few guns I have eventually got around to selling, I regret most of them to some degree.

As for why I have a certain number, it's because I keep finding new bits of the hobby that interest me. Recently, that's been bolt action rifles. Before that, lever guns. Before that, revolvers. Before that, semi auto rifles. Before that, semi auto pistols. Before that . . . well, you get the idea.

Gotta catch 'em all!

So how many guns are enough?

it depends on what purpose you own them for. Are you a collector? Then there's never enough. Are you just in it for range fun? Then the ones that you actually shoot at the range are enough. CC/HD? Then four or five are probably enough. Hunter? Then a dedicated weapon for whatever you hunt plus a few spares is enough. Ranch work, competition, etc, etc.

It doesn't cross my mind to get rid of any either

It does mine. I have a few I never shoot that I sometimes think about getting rid of to upgrade others, buy better optics etc for the ones I do shoot.

If you're a collector, then as many as it takes to complete the collection.

If you're a pure self-defense gun owner who has no interest in shooting as a past-time, then 2: your self-defense gun and an identical spare to take to the range for practice.

I'm not a collector, but I shoot for fun, and in addition to the fun guns I carry a compact gun and have a larger HD gun. I get more fun out of concentrating on a few guns and really getting to know them, as opposed to shooting lots of different guns, so I have fewer than a dozen, and of those, I have 2 that I don't really shoot at all, but keep because they're good guns and I may need them someday. This is a manageable number so I don't need a huge safe or multiple safes and few enough calibers (4) that I can handload all my range ammo, except for 22LR.

I have about twice the number of guns in my safe as years I've been alive and there's a purpose to every last one. Even if that purpose is curiosity, such as my single stack AK with a thumbhole stock and unthreaded barrel I've never shot.

It is easier to say what is the minimum than what is the maximum. "Enough" is somewhere in between.

Also, to what end? I.E. for what purpose?

First thing that comes to my mind is SHTF - since I am a prepper. Self-defense is a subset of that - think of prepper guns as self-defense plus hunting.

So, going down that road, 3-4 per person; a self-defense handgun, a self-defense rifle and a .22 rimfire of some sort - preferably, a shotgun in addition to the rest.

Now add onto that, "stash" or backup guns; what happens if for whatever reason you are deprived of your primary weapons? It would be nice to know you have other guns "stashed" somewhere as a backup. So 3 more guns as a backup - per person.

Now add onto that - what about family and neighbors? How about a handgun and rifle for each of those?

How about special purpose guns? A gun for deer, a gun for elk, guns for bear (I have a gun for black bear, one for brown bears and one for polar bears).

It adds up.

To bring this back to reality, most of that is just excuses for owning more guns - right.

So maybe 3-4 guns per person in the household should be enough.

Brace yourself.

There are those with almost unlimited amount of money to buy guns and whatever else they want.
They have never even contemplated the question ''Too much''.

Now that is one extreme. There are all points in-between.
Money is the limiting factor. But isn't that true of all things?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top