JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

How many guns do you take to target shoot?

• Total voters
Reactions
I was wondering what some people consider normal as far as how many guns you take when you go out to the range to target shoot.

Do you take 1 or 2 and concentrate on them or are you like me and take 5-6 minimum and up too 12 some days ( if I'm going with some people.

My only complaint is cleaning them afterwards.

I always clean my carry pieces as soon as I get home but can't always get to all of the guns I take for a couple days - which drives me insane until it's done.

So, what do take?

I usually have very limited time at the range - 90 minutes or less most days. For that reason, I bring from 1-3 guns per visit. One is always my carry gun - which I practice with each time I go out. The others are whatever else I feel like focusing on that day - sometimes pistols, sometimes rifles. And you make a good point about cleaning - if I only bring 3, I only need to clean 3.

I love cleaning! It is my favorite part of the hobby. The smell of the chemicals, the complaints from my kids, the sure knowledge that I am giving myself a disease by breathing in and touching the aforementioned chemicals. Sometimes I go shooting just so I can have more guns to clean....NOT!!

Seriously cleaning is a total and complete pain and annoyance. I know what you mean about it eating away at you till you get it done.

Honestly, its to damn many and that bubblegum gets heavy. Last time, it was a single rifle bag with my AR, a double rifle bag with my SCAR and STG 44, the Weatherby, and my range bag with 3 handguns, Mags +ammo.

As far as cleaning, my handguns are super easy. SIGs and a H&K and I still aint cleaned my SCAR, that's a a dirty girl and I aint cleaning her till I have 1k through her.

I dont get to the range as much as I would like, I normally take my AR, and then a few pistols, normally my 45 and 9mm, both are sigs and I dont bother cleaning them till they have issues, 500 - 750 rounds down the pipe, and the ar... psh... run it like an ak..

I dont get to the range as much as I would like, I normally take my AR, and then a few pistols, normally my 45 and 9mm, both are sigs and I dont bother cleaning them till they have issues, 500 - 750 rounds down the pipe, and the ar... psh... run it like an ak..

Thats what I do brother, all my firearms are pretty much combat weapons. I no longer have anything I really need to baby anymore.

After trading in my M-14, I used to unload and clean at least six magazines, inspect the ammo and reload them. (I carried 18 mags and one in the gun, all 20 rounds then) break down the Bolt Carrier Group and all that daily when I had a M-16 and was doing nature walks in RVN, but later I took to flying over the place and I acquired one of the newer M-16A1's and some of the cool 30 round mags.. I just shot it and shot it and shot it, never cleaned it but I did add a little oil here and there.
Now I clean my guns for corrosion prevention now, not worried about functioning. If it is getting put up for who knows how long, then I'll clean it, happy or not.
I generally take two or three to shoot never more than four, but If I go with the Warden the deal is for me to clean hers too!

Its not that I don't carry, but I don't carry on a daily basis, even that being said I still don't both keeping them super squeaky clean.. there isn't much point, one day we lubed up my buddy's PPK and took it shooting, had a little to much in there.. and by to much i mean.. it was slightly wet looking.. wasn't dripping wasn't excessive by any means I applied it with my finger... and yep that gun jammed for the first 10 rounds till it sprayed a little lube off and got a little dirty.. then it ran like a dream all day long.. guns don't have to be perfectly clean to function flawlessly...

Its not that I don't carry, but I don't carry on a daily basis, even that being said I still don't both keeping them super squeaky clean.. there isn't much point, one day we lubed up my buddy's PPK and took it shooting, had a little to much in there.. and by to much i mean.. it was slightly wet looking.. wasn't dripping wasn't excessive by any means I applied it with my finger... and yep that gun jammed for the first 10 rounds till it sprayed a little lube off and got a little dirty.. then it ran like a dream all day long.. guns don't have to be perfectly clean to function flawlessly...
I'll say this.. Unless its a match grade 1911. they really don't like to run dirty.

I'll say this.. Unless its a match grade 1911. they really don't like to run dirty.

Sig 1911 Scorpion which come cerakoted from the factory, 500 rounds on this clean job at the moment, running the rand clp, every other time i take it shooting i just wipe off the gun inside and out and put alittle more rand clp on it..

might help I solely shoot hand loads and jacket bullets, which i have found to be much cleaner than anything factory.

before my Sig, I had a XD .45 4in and I regularly didn't clean that gun, had over 6k rounds through it before I sold it, it was regular for it to ride in my truck all summer and get about 500 - 1000 rounds through it before I cleaned it.. never mal-functioned if I fed it 230gr RN or HP, if i fed it 185gr HP, it didn't matter how clean it was.. it hated 185gr.

Maybe I've just not had enough experience with different firearms, but in the experience I do have - I've yet to see a properly cleaned gun malfunction for having been "clean".

Excess lube is not clean btw;).

I use a t-shirt to wipe off all surfaces after oiling to keep it from being "wet". Have started using a compressor more, because it gets all the nooks and cranny's as well.

I usually bring 4 tops, 2 pistols and 2 rifles just because I don't like spending a whole evening tearing down and cleaning everything to the OCD levels that my brain requires.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top