JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

How many guns do you take to target shoot?

• Total voters
I usually bring 4 tops, 2 pistols and 2 rifles just because I don't like spending a whole evening tearing down and cleaning everything to the OCD levels that my brain requires.

Hear that, I have known people who were OCD and while I wish I was ( a little ) I don't wish it on anyone.

What I take to the range depends on what I'm doing. I always have my carry piece and a back up. Most of my shooting is done in State forest, and if I'm sighting in, breaking in, or shooting skeet I usually pay attention to just one gun. However, if I am practicing with my carry pieces (monthly) or doing some serious plinking (if there is such a thing) then all bets are off and I may have several guns to dirty up.
I do pull occasional weekend range duty at a club I belong to that allows the public, and the hours I spend there babysitting is usually with an assortment of rim fire target firearms. However, I always bring one gun that has a WOW factor, like a Anaconda 45LC or Browning Superpose, just for the general reaction. Most folks have never seen one, much less had an opportunity to shoot one. No, I'm a shootist, not a collector.

Someone once said "don't keep all your eggs in one basket", and unlike some of you L.O.L., (weapons stock pile?) guys, I only own 5 or 6 or is it now.???..... anyway my point is!,
It would be ironic and sad if your car got stolen/broken into while you're stopping at WAL-MART to pick up some more ammo for the many THOUSANDS of dollars of weapons that you no longer have because your car has just been robbed!
Same thing for shooting in the woods. Don't take everything you own.

Someone once said "don't keep all your eggs in one basket", and unlike some of you L.O.L., (weapons stock pile?) guys, I only own 5 or 6 or is it now.???..... anyway my point is!,
It would be ironic and sad if your car got stolen/broken into while you're stopping at WAL-MART to pick up some more ammo for the many THOUSANDS of dollars of weapons that you no longer have because your car has just been robbed!

I go straight out to shoot, keep my vehicle in sight while out shooting and go straight home. No stops, even if it would save time and gas, for the exact reason as stated above. If I can't lock it down, I don't leave it unattended.

I go straight out to shoot, keep my vehicle in sight while out shooting and go straight home. No stops, even if it would save time and gas, for the exact reason as stated above. If I can't lock it down, I don't leave it unattended.
I usually never have my s____ together enough to not make a stop or two unfortunately. I do keep them out of sight and locked in the vehicle though, and I do get in and out quickly as possible.

It depends on what I'm shooting, handguns 6-7, rifles 4-6. I generally stick to either or but I always shoot my carry gun. The 200yd rifle range at ARPC has a few benches at one end with steel plates and closer in target stands. That's very convenient! I don't mind cleaning, I do a few per evening in front of the tube watching science and history shows!:rolleyes:

BTW, I picked up a folding wagon w/ tall wheels to haul all my stuff around the range. Got it at Sportmans, makes it easy for old people.

Last Edited:
Went to the range after work yesterday - 3 handguns (4 if you count the conversion barrel I also used in my Glock 35). Nice day to be out shooting.

Went to the range after work yesterday - 3 handguns (4 if you count the conversion barrel I also used in my Glock 35). Nice day to be out shooting.

Hard to beat the summer here in this area; I've lived all over the world.

I got out and patterned my new shotgun and put a lot of .22's thru my newest .22 rifle.

In all, I took 2 shotguns, 2 rifles and two pistols (one is my carry and the other my home defense gun).

6 was really not that bad but I'd like to whittle it down to 1 shotgun and 3-4 others. That should give me enough to clean without being to big of a chore.

I do actually enjoy the sitting alone time I get while cleaning guns.

I average around 2 an hour - obviously some are more involved them others, but the guns I shoot the most tend to also be the easier ones to clean lol;). Is that a chicken and egg scenario?

Was that the pretty 20 gauge SxS Joe? How'd it shoot? I've yet to get my new (to me) Remington 870 20 gauge out to the range - I should have brought it yesterday, but I forgot.

I don't mind cleaning my guns, and I have time early on the weekends before the family wakes up. But I do get bored with cleaning pretty quickly. I can manage about an hour before I want to do something else. That's one reason I like to shoot pistols - I can usually clean them quicker than a long gun.

sure wish i would have read this before i put them all in that leaky boat which didn't make it across the lake... :eek:

I usually take 2 pistols I am practicing with, and concentrate on those 2.

Then I take 2 others with the idea of shooting just 2-4 +/- mags each...just to stay familiar.

Unless it is a Glock, I shoot NEW pistols 1x and clean them (after the initial cleaning).

Then I might not clean them for a long time, to make certain they can run dirty. Once 350-500+ rounds are thru them w/o cleaning, I clean them every 200 rounds.

Glocks I clean "whenever". They are the AK of pistols.

I'm gearing up my AR practice too:D:D, so it goes every time:):)

If I am going out by myself I usually bring 3. A rifle, handgun, and my carry piece that stays on me the whole time. If I am going shooting with friends I usually bring out more so they can try new guns. The problem with my shooting place is that it is about a 200 yard walk uphill to get there so bring targets, guns, and ammo gets heavy fast.

2 weeks ago I took abut 10 for my city folk to shoot.Then my son came up from CA and it was about the same.
I live out in the tooolies and city folk come to shoot cause they can't at home.
We try to enlighten them on all the fun they are missing
Funny,I count the money I'm spending while shooting. When friends give me that smile,I could care less how much they shoot.
On average I take just a few to actually get something done like sight a gun in

Usually, I'm bringing between 2 and 4. Most of the time I'm working on something specific with each one. Either zeroing it, or working on adjustments for pushing out the distance.

Depends, I like shooting in the woods and when I go out there I try to take all of them and have a full day of practice and fun.
I only go to the range to sight in a firearm or test one out. So I usually only take what needs fine tuning

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top