JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The black cloud over the so called low number 1903's existed because of a perfect storm of improving ammunition and the associated higher pressures and the imperfect system of heat treating that relied on eyeballing temperatures. What they found was that the difference in color of the red hot receiver between a sunny and cloudy day could be the difference between a perfectly he treated receiver and one that was possibly too brittle.
When the problem was discovered, they change systems and solve the issue. Springfield Armory does not have an exact serial number where this change took place. It was somewhere north of 800,000. Rock island armory actually have the exact number. I believe it was around 238,000, but I can't remember exactly. It is easy enough to look up. Chances are any low number rifle is likely safe to shoot, but there is just no way to tell if the rifle is a ticking bomb. So most people choose not to shoot them, shoot low pressure reloads in them, or just hang them on the wall. The CMP does not allow them in any competitions (low number rifles that is)...
I guess I never really considered it a black cloud, more simply growing pains. But I get where you're coming from with the black cloud comment.
I still love them. In fact I think the most beautiful rifles are the very early models with the sarif font writing on them. I only wish it was safe to shoot.
Thank you guys so much
You clearly know your milsurp weapons.

There was a bunch of wonderful lessons about the value of rifles this weekend at the Redmond show. Lots of original configuration 1903's to be had. All ran in the same ballpark price ($700-$1000).

But the fun is when you start pricing the modified and sporter rifles. I had one on my table priced at $475. I saw one with a more original look, but with a bent bolt and Redfield Olympic sights. Priced (reasonably so, based on parts value) at $750 or so. I even saw a 1922m2 .22 trainer Springfield. But it had a changed rear sight, and was priced close to an unmodified M2 at just shy of $1400.

None of the rifles sold. I didn't even see an original change hands. They aren't hot on the market. I could have traded mine off, but I didn't want the other guy's trade bait. I think the values were correct, just didn't have the right buyers...

I would consider this a fairly well executed, tasteful sporter...

It's going back up in the classifieds though. I just haven't warmed to the ackley yet.

IMG_0606.JPG IMG_0608.JPG IMG_0612.JPG IMG_0613.JPG

Last Edited:
A couple of you already know that i'm fairly new to the 1903, and, whilst i'm (sadly) yet to use my 03a3, i already love it :)

A couple of you already know that i'm fairly new to the 1903, and, whilst i'm (sadly) yet to use my 03a3, i already love it :)
Just wait till you get some lead down range, Will really cement that rifle firmly in your heart! Never met a Springer shooter that didn't fall smartly in love the first time the trigger gets squeezed!

Thats a good looking sporter MountainBear!
I think these things come and go.
After the shows, Band of Brothers and the Pacific, the interest in M1's and 03's shot up.

A well done sporter be it a basic cut down with an issue barrel and sights to a full blown custom job are all excellent rifles for what they are.
The trouble with sporters are two fold.
One is you need to find a buyer who likes what was done.
And number two is all the "Rifle Purists" who b!tch and moan over a sporter be it one from 50 odd years ago or one that came from a wrecked rifle last month.

As for the as issued rifles that are still around , well they are wonderful rifles and great historic pieces.
But with people not remembering or really knowing about : The Punitive Expedition of 1916 , WWI and the M1 rifle and M1 Carbine overshadowing the 03 during WWII , I feel that the 03 kinda gets lost at most gun shows.
Not to forget to mention all the bad press the 03A3 got about stamped parts and rough finish during the late 40's -1960's from gun writers.*

*Note to all , I am not trash talking the 03A3. I have one and enjoy it immensely.
As to the stamped parts and "rough finish" , well in my opinion the 03A3 is a better put together and better finished rifle than many sporting rifles being made today.
Gun writers from the 40's -1960s be dammed.
Andy

Last Edited:
So I hate to see a good thread and section languish. So here's today's entry. I have been working on this 03a4 project for several months. It is not an original a4 receiver, but it is an original scope base and rings, as well as an original (albeit a replacement) keystone a4 stock.
I finally got a barrel screwed on that headspaced this morning, so I have the rest mocked up for your viewing pleasure.
Still to be done is reworking the bolt to a4 bent profile to clear the scope. The scope isn't a weaver 330, which would be correct, but rather a weaver K3, as it was a gift from a friend. If I plan to compete with it, I'll need to get either a k2.5 for these rings or some 7/8" rings and a weaver 330 tube. The handguard is on its way.
Then I'll need to match up and likely re-oil the wood and let @Velzey park and blue the rifle. Then proceed to shoot the piss out of it.

IMG_1152.JPG IMG_1153.JPG

I have two more projects in the works. I have a short 03a3 in the works, but the barrels are sucking the life out of me. Need to chuck one up in the lathe and spin the bugger back to proper.

Then I have a high number 1903 receiver I just had welded up. I still can't make up my mind between a complete restoration or a 1921 carbine repro. So many choices.

I have two more projects in the works. I have a short 03a3 in the works, but the barrels are sucking the life out of me. Need to chuck one up in the lathe and spin the bugger back to proper.

Then I have a high number 1903 receiver I just had welded up. I still can't make up my mind between a complete restoration or a 1921 carbine repro. So many choices.
You know me and my weakness for carbines.. so there is my vote!
Andy

This is a nice mix of correct/original parts and new/incorrect parts. I look forward to finishing it, building a load, and shooting the piss out of it.
I don't know if I'll ever compete with it. In fact the only competition is usually which rifle gets to go to the range with me!

Just a interesting bit of 03 trivia.
In Brophy's book The Springfield 1903 Rifles, he mentions seeing some 03's in a Vietnamese Army Ordnance Depot.
He also has a picture of homemade copies of the bolt and trigger guard and other small internals made by the Vietnamese and Chinese.
Makes me wonder if any 03's are out there still soldiering on ...
Andy

During The second Go around in the sand box, there was a very large cash of small arms that we got to view, I would guess there were several hundreds of 03's in amoungst the rest of the arms they had, and they all looked well used, but serviceable still!!! We also heard of several in A-Stan that were found!

Does not surprise me. Those people seem to still have every firearm that's been in their possession. At least that's the story I get from friends who participated in that dust-up...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top