JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well, I got lucky with my first drill rifle, so I decided to tempt fate and order another. Not as luck this time. The welds are huge on this one. The stock, on first inspection, looked cracked. Turns out, it was cracked clean in half. I will still end up with a receiver out of it, as well as a nice Smith Corona bottom metal. But this one will take some magic to ever shoot again...

866148F7-EC2F-4DE4-A55B-CA556661D563.jpeg 850D377F-8EA3-4C1B-A2F2-47063D146F5F.jpeg 4B8B05C6-12C2-4F10-8360-344C914DC307.jpeg E5267384-FE6E-40E1-B536-1DA0B455641D.jpeg 199E2BFB-B352-4AEA-94F2-A88B59A4B48F.jpeg 0C08470E-EDB5-40B9-B087-AC55A947ECB5.jpeg

Model 1903 Archives | Dupage Trading Company

These are 03a3 rifles that were declared obsolete by the .gov and sent out for use as drill rifles by various organizations like ROTC, VFW, etc. In order to render them unusable, a rod was welded into the barrel, the barrel welded to the receiver, the bolt face welded over, and the cut-off welded in the off position to keep the bolt in the gun. As you can imagine, these guns were beat to crap. The amount of weld varies, as does the quality of the other remaining parts. Dupage offers a $200 option with fewer missing parts and better stocks. The $100 rifles are pretty much a crap shoot as to what you're going to get. My first was a pretty easy reactivation. This one, not so much.

The stock is scrap, there were more missing parts, and it looks like the welder was getting paid by the rod that day...

Sorry for the poor picture quality. I've been working on this rifle for several years. Some have seen it and I've shared progress pictures in the past. This is my "Tanker" 03a3. I put it together out of salvaged and sporterized parts, a cut down barrel, and a shortened stock.

I've not been machining much since I closed my gunsmith shop and have been dreading cutting the keyway for the front sight in this barrel. Mis-cut and the front sight is crooked. Add to that some other barrel issues, and it's been sitting almost done for a year.

Got a wild hair today and pulled it out. I pulled the barrel off the receiver, remachined the front 4", fixed the extractor groove, and reinstalled. Then I decided it was time to machine the keyway. Ate one cutter, but had two thankfully. Measured about a dozen times, and voila! The tanker is done, with a non-canted front sight (I guess I don't qualify to work at Century Arms).

Well, almost, have to swap out a bad trigger tomorrow. Worked until 11:00 tonight and just ran out of steam.

But here it is, for your viewing pleasure and in hopes of keeping this thread alive. The keyway cut had to be right at .099" and top dead center to work. The Tanker is next to an uncut Smith Corona for comparison...

1C1C403D-52BF-4225-8BB8-4CABBDBDC76C.jpeg 6BB3A5F8-2A1C-4187-9910-10D7770CCD2C.jpeg

Maybe instead of a "tanker", it needs a saddle ring to become an 03A3 Cavalry Carbine :)

That one is already in the works. There was an experimental cavalry carbine built at Springfield Armory. It is referred to as the 1921 Ames carbine. I had all the parts for that one and found the stock I was planning on using had a split in the wrist. So it's back on hold.

DFCD4B6D-F78B-48F6-A01E-3B85DE49B548.jpeg

1903 Springfield, cut down for air service. Shortened stock with no rear sling accommodation.

I know C&Rsenal also did a video on it, in fact I think Ian and Othias May have collaborated.

Building one of those is a large undertaking. The original magazines are $400-$600. Plus a new stock would need to be made with no cutout for the rear sling swivel. Maybe someday...

Picked up a correct an unsanded SC 03a3 stock in trade today. Needs some oil (like lots), and then I'll take the scant stock off the Smith Corona and put it on the rebuild 1903 with the WWII barrel.

The only major thing left for the SC to be correct will be the bolt body and a few small parts. Everything else is now back to SC parts...

Pictures up later.

Last Edited:
The Smith Corona is back to 95% Smith Corona. I still need to replace the bolt body, extractor, follower, cut-off, and perhaps the rear sight (that's a low priority, so I haven't checked for a while).
The last coat of oil went on the stock several days ago, and I finally had time to put it all back together. The stock and all the hardware are now original Smith Corona parts, although the stock has an Ogden Arsenal rebuild mark. I replaced the safety and striker assembly with SC part as well.
This gun will never be original again, but I am determined to put it back to correct.

7AC19D69-90EB-4723-BBAE-F676B4202E41.jpeg F0E0A85B-3DF9-401F-A31B-A8294664965D.jpeg

The slings are becoming obscenely priced these days. My assumption is that a green web sling would likely be more appropriate. I'll keep an eye out at the gunshows, at least the few left that I actually attend...

Mountainbear,

Beautiful work! I love seeing you build and save these rifles from an under appreciated existance as sporters or drill rifles.

I too have a weakness for 1903's and 03a3's. I feel a strange force compelling me to save every sporterized one that I can.

I have two 1903's and two 03a3's. Only one 03a3 is in as issued original Remington factory shape. I bought it from a WW2 Marine in the 1990's. He advertised it in the trifties section of the Oregonian. He said he stayed in the Marines into the 1950's and a he requsitioned 25, 03a3's for his guys to drill with, he said he was allowed to buy and keep his when he left the Marines in about 1958.

I had the find of a decade on Friday last week when I located two unsporterised take off stocks with all of the hardware, both for $40. One is a Remington 03a3 stock complete with the original front and rear sight included. The other is a 1903 stock. Bot stocks have all of their factory cartouches. The 03 stock has a rearsenal cartouch as well.

The man who had them is 65 years old. He said his dad bought 8 - 10, 1903's from the NRA and sporterized them all for family members. He said the guns he made for the kids were cut down military wood but the ones he made for his wife and he had custom wood. The seller said he remebers being about 5 years old while his dad was hand checkering stocks at the kitchen table.

He said he could these two stocks stuck up in the basement floor joists after his father passed away recently.

Photos of the stocks to follow. I have rifles that these will go on, to make them complete.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top