JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I had to share this. I see folks here ask how long canned foods will last. In the case of this lard, an amazing 64 years. LOL! Don't try this with most foods or you'll probably die, certainly acidic foods they say can get botulism. A reminder of our fathers generosity in that they fed the survivors of our worst enemy after some of the worst bubblegum nastiest most devastating fighting anyone has ever seen ever.

Link:
BBC News - German pensioner eats 64-year-old US lard
German pensioner eats 64-year-old US lard
German with open tin of lard, 1 Feb 12 Mr Feldmeier kept the lard with some cans of noodles and milk for emergencies

A German pensioner who received a tin of American lard 64 years ago in an aid package has only just tasted it, after discovering that it is still edible.

"I just didn't want to throw it away," said Hans Feldmeier, 87.
_58253223_lardafp.jpg
Food safety experts in Rostock, his home town on Germany's Baltic coast, said the pig fat was still safe to eat.

Mr Feldmeier was a student in 1948 when the US was running a huge aid programme to rebuild war-ravaged Germany. He kept the tin of lard for emergencies.

A retired pharmacist, he decided to get the lard tested because of the debate about expiry dates and food safety.

A food expert, Frerk Feldhusen, said the lard was rather gritty and tasteless and hard to dissolve, though quite edible. Mr Feldmeier provided some black bread to go with it.

The red, white and blue tin of Swift's Bland Lard bore no expiry date.

Mr Feldhusen said the test result might make some consumers think twice before discarding food immediately after the expiry date.

I can't get past the idea the guy ate LARD on bread like it was butter or something. LARD thats like not as refined as Crisco right. Oh wait Oreos are Crisco and Sugar. Never mind.

Crisco is all vegetable oil Hydrogenation to make it solid. Very handy stuff if you want to make a pie at fishing camp take some Butter Flavored Crisco. No Refrigeration easy to measure.
I can't get past the idea the guy ate LARD on bread like it was butter or something. LARD thats like not as refined as Crisco right. Oh wait Oreos are Crisco and Sugar. Never mind.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top