JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
22 rimfire best barrel length for accuracy? At what point does the longer barrel dwell time of the relatively
slow moving 22 round detrimental to accuracy. In a rifle? In a pistol I will say 5.5 inch barrel is optimum
for a 22 target pistol with dot sight. A longer sight radius is an advantage for iron sights but is negated
by a dot sight. I have owned 2 different 6 7/8 inch Bull barrel Ruger target pistols and numerous
5.5 inch bull barrel Rugers. The 5.5 inch are slightly more accurate after you put a dot sight on them.
Ever notice how many 22 target pistols come with 5.5 inch barrels? Ruger 22/45, Ruger Mark II, III, IV.
S&W Model 41 performance center, S&W 22 Victory, Browning Buck Mark....o_O

A lot of the rifle's barrel length may be tied into the looks , balance , purpose of , and handling of the rifle....but barrel length may not have to be necessarily overly long to get good performance.
And as always personal preference , plays a large role here....

A rifle for the bench , may have a fuller stock and a long heavy barrel...but a hunting rifle or casual plinking rifle , will be better suited to a easier to carry , quicker to the shoulder stock profile and a lighter , trimmer barrel.

I like a barrel that is 20 -24 inches on my .22 rifles....
I have had both longer and shorter barrels and have even carried target rifles like :
Remington's 513 and 521 and Mossberg's 144US as hunting rifles.
What I use now for hunting and casual plinking are mostly single shot bolt action ,22 rifles like my Remington 33 , Cooley 75 , Stevens 15 or my Marlin 781 tube fed bolt action...
These are have barrels in the 22-28 inch range.
Andy

Tough to make comparisons about barrel lengths with so many variables like barrel maker, condition, the shooter and the ammo etc...
I've shot fine barreled target guns with barrel lengths from 5.5" to 32", and they will all perform differently according to variables. My 18" Green Mountain barreled 77/22 shoots the best, presently, but I once had a WWII bring back Scheutzen with a 32" re-lined barrel in 22LR, set triggers, target sights and shot like a dream. Wish I still had that gun.... :( Traded it for a '71 Ironhead when I was 28. Fine rifle... but good trade. Wonder where I put pictures of those......

Balance. I like a 22 that feels like a full grown rifle. I had a Ruger 77/22 Target that felt like a rifle, not a toy. I now have a CZ455 and wish it was more barrel heavy.

With a scope the American comes in at 7-7.5lbs. And with a great balance the weight is perfect to me. i had the 452 Varmint with a 21'' heavy barrel but used the American more in the field. And accuracy is very close between the two models.

IMG_1953.JPG

Last Edited:
That was kind of what I figured, but I keep seeing companies making longer barrel rifles. Part of me just was wondering why? 22" barrel on a 22lr just seems silly.

I would have to guess sight radius. For those who want to use irons. Wife has a 10/22 in stainless with a .22" barrel that was a special run for Wally decade + back. It was the first gun she ever just bought on her own unknown to me. She was there shopping one day, saw it, asked to hold it and loved it. Seems over done to me but she enjoyed it for a long time. Now that she has a Takedown with the 16 " I have not seen her take it to the range any more. Think it will be a safe queen from here on out now. Before she bought the Takedown I almost bought an extra 16" barrel for it just for me.

Just for discussion purposes, how long of a barrel do you think is necessary?

I've seen really long barrels to just the minimum.

Does a longer barrel mean more velocity or stabilization? Or does it cause any drag after a certain length? Is a 10" barrel all that is needed to burn the powder?

Anyone know the "Bees knees" length for 22lr?

Imo the right barrel length is the one you can shoot well. Personally I could care less if there is a velocity difference between a 14" barrel and a 22" barrel. The longer sight radius of the 22" may help me shoot it more accurately however.

I had a ruger 10/22 Lipsey's with a 22" stainless barrel and that thing could drive tacks with iron sights. Not because it was more accurate or because the bullet had more velocity but because I could shoot it more accurately than smaller length 10/22s (due to balance and sight radius).

Does a longer barrel mean more velocity or stabilization? Or does it cause any drag after a certain length? Is a 10" barrel all that is needed to burn the powder?

I believe 12" is ideal

I think a longer barrel can help stabilize some bullets better that might not group as well with a shorter one. If you look at the targets posted on page one the longer barrel shot tighter groups with 36 grain high velocity than the 16" barrel. And the 16" Volquartsen will shoot one ragged hole at 50 yards with ammo it likes. Just something I have noticed. Also the 40 grain standard velocity ammo is the most accurate in my 22s reguardless of barrel length.

I think a longer barrel can help stabilize some bullets better that might not group as well with a shorter one. If you look at the targets posted on page one the longer barrel shot tighter groups with 36 grain high velocity than the 16" barrel. And the 16" Volquartsen will shoot one ragged hole at 50 yards with ammo it likes. Just something I have noticed. Also the 40 grain standard velocity ammo is the most accurate in my 22s reguardless of barrel length.

Re the Volquartsen, that is pretty cool! That kinda reminds me of airgun shooting where the effect of the barrel on the pellet is extremely magnified (due to light weight pellet, diabolo shape, lower velocities, etc.). I have a few match-grade airgun Lothar-Walther barrels that have different rifling lands/grooves, twist rates, and choked muzzle end compared to standard barrels. For airguns a short L-W 11' barrel will outperform (in terms of accuracy) a stock barrel (non match grade I mean) of any longer length, all other factors being equal (f.e. bench rested, 20yd target, pellet that the barrel likes, etc.).

If you're talking accuracy as your standard, just look at the experts.
Anschutz 54.30: 660mm
Walther KK500: 690mm
Bleiker Challenger: 650mm

There you have it. Your best barrel length is about 650-690mm.

If you're talking accuracy as your standard, just look at the experts.
Anschutz 54.30: 660mm
Walther KK500: 690mm
Bleiker Challenger: 650mm

There you have it. Your best barrel length is about 650-690mm.
Translation for us Yankees!

I'm downsizing the big stuff. Doctors orders. No more heavy recoil firearms. This might only leave me the .22rf fun guns. At some downsized point a non expensive occasional use chronograph would be nice. :)

The short barrel suppressed heavily modified Ruger 10-22 garden monster, (dinky ones) has several short barrels. Right now the Green Mountain Ruger Charger 8" HB SS 1x9 twist Bentz chamber is employed.

Seems to stabilize the heavy long Aquila SSS 60 grain RN lead bullets just fine. Other ammo will not chamber with this barrel including CCI Stingers. The Elite Iron Echo 6" can works very well. Pop. pop, pop; etc..

All Oregon State Laws, US Code Laws, NFA Laws And BATFE Rules And Regulations Apply. Your gun laws may vary greatly. Stay safe. Stay Legal. That is all. Also have fun. :)

Last Edited:

18-20" for a scoped rifle, long as possible for open sights for the longer sight radius.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top