JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just for discussion purposes, how long of a barrel do you think is necessary?

I've seen really long barrels to just the minimum.

Does a longer barrel mean more velocity or stabilization? Or does it cause any drag after a certain length? Is a 10" barrel all that is needed to burn the powder?

Anyone know the "Bees knees" length for 22lr?

Most of mine are 16" barrels.

My marlin 60 will take the wings off a fly at 25yards bone stock.

My Henery will take the head off a grouse at 75yards.

As far as velocity I really don't know much about it.

Most Bench shooter figure that SV is going to need 18-20" of barrel. Much of it depends on what Ammunition you are using. The Primer Only stuff is pretty much done in about 10-12", but it takes the 10" to get the most out of it.

I don't have any barrels longer than 18" on my 22s anymore. I have had 22 and 24 " barrels, and to me, the 18s seem more accurate. I also don't know about velocities, but I didn't notice any better groups with the longer barrels, so away they went, easier to store and carry the shorters.

IIRC...most say that the powder is burnt up by 16". Course some ammo is of higher velocity vs. "standard velocity." Probably using a different or maybe slightly more powder. So (in other words), the 16" figure isn't written in stone.

Aloha, Mark

Likely always be contentious subject because brands, powders, loads, clumped powder, primer condition, bore diameter etc will alter results of any barrel length burn test. This leave you with the math, which the multitude of variables will still leave you wanting in my mind.
I have a Stevens pistol, single shot 10 incher that compares favorably to a couple bolt rifles I have but if giving an opine would go with 14 inch as bare minimum just to ride the controversy fence.

I would think it would all depend a lot on what powder the manufacturers are using. Suspect most are loading to get the most out of 16 now since so many .22's come that way. I have no doubt though it would change from one brand and type to another. All in what powder they choose to use.

I would say 16"-24 depending on your preference and choice of ammo. That's what's my .22lr rifles have . With the CZ 22.5" American being my favorite for hunting. The longer barrels seem a little quieter to me.

On a side note I thought this was interesting.

I would say 16"-24 depending on your preference and choice of ammo. That's what's my .22lr rifles have . With the CZ 22.5" American being my favorite for hunting. The longer barrels seem a little quieter to me.

On a side note I thought this was interesting.

That video was interesting. I was surprised at the results. Those Velocitors are what I have the Wife carry in her carry .22.

Not clear what the OP is asking - accuracy, maximum velocity or something else? Anywho, Anschutz (who may know a bit about .22lr accuracy) uses barrels largely in the 25" to 27" range.

Interestingly enough, it looks like 9"-11" gets you pretty close to maximum velocity, with marginal gains from there.

Barrel length mainly affects velocity, unless your sight radius is tied to your barrel length.

My 4.5" barrel is fairly accurate, and as a bonus keeps the velocity subsonic, even with most high velocity ammo.

I should mount a scope on it and shoot for groups one of these days.

That was kind of what I figured, but I keep seeing companies making longer barrel rifles. Part of me just was wondering why? 22" barrel on a 22lr just seems silly.

That was kind of what I figured, but I keep seeing companies making longer barrel rifles. Part of me just was wondering why? 22" barrel on a 22lr just seems silly.

If a 22" barrel shoots something like mini-mags better than your 16" then it doesn't seem so silly. And with walnut stock and only 5.9 lbs on my CZ.

Heres some Mini-mag mag targets from a 16'' built 10/22 and a 22.5' CZ 452 American. i was testing 30 year old Minimags vs a newer batch.

Custom 10/22 I think the old minimags won.

IMG_1985.JPG
IMG_1984.JPG IMG_1989.JPG IMG_1986.JPG

Heres the CZ 452 with the old minimags
IMG_1995.JPG IMG_1996.JPG

when is the last time you saw stingers for $1.95
IMG_1990.JPG

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class