JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been wondering how long is ammo good for ?
I have varied ammo shot guns , to 22 and in between and allot of ammo I try and rotate my ammo as I use it but still have some several years old. I keep my ammo in a cedar and at about 70 degrees on average. Never too cold or hot. I get mixed information when I google it so wondered what you experts say ?

Thanks

I've shot 40 y/o ammo with no issues in the past. If properly stored the shelf life is decades easily. Look at some of the surplus ammo out there - I've shot 60's surplus eastern block ammo recently with no issues as well - who knows if the temp was controlled in the ammo warehouse over the years - It still shoots like it was supposed to.

I have ammo from World War 1 that still goes boom. I have shot 7.62 x54r from WW2 that was crusty and green in a SVT40. Had some .303 British that looked perfect but had hang fires. Most likely if you are storing it well, it shall be fine.

Wow ok well that is good news I really never thought about it until the last several years that I have quite a bit stored.

Thanks everyone appreciate the quick responses.

Ammo life can even be measured in "generations" rather than just "years". If the old ammo from my Grandfather's generation, with it's corrosive primers and primitive (compared to today) powders can last for almost a century, just think how long modern ammo could last.

Dry and moderate temps are all that's really required. Of course having ammo that got that old means there was a failure along the way. Someone didn't go shooting enough:cool: I try to do my part and not let any of my ammo get stale. It's a rotten job but I love it.

But seriously I just never really knew how long, I figures a few years like 5 or something. But never stock piled ammo before so never used old ammo. I have been around guns since the 60's but never even had cause to wonder.
LOL now I feel dumb seems like allot of people know ammo longevity. Learn something new everyday !

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top