JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Can magazines be kept loaded for long term storage and security or do they have to be cleared so the magazine springs do not fail? Should loaded magazines be swapped out once a year. I'm thinking of keeping my XD loaded in the house for the foreseeable future but am concerned the springs could fail. Any thoughts on this issue? Thanks.

The springs wear out because of repeated compression and release, not generally from just static compression.
I've read stories of WW2 1911 magazines that were fully loaded and stored till 1990 and functioned 100% when tried.

I think most modern mags are safe to leave loaded. I suspect it does more damage to constantly load and unload than to just leave them loaded.

Old/early mags did not have as good of springs and are a different story.

Certain Mags for certain firearms have been known to have springs that go bad after time weather loaded a lot of stored loaded! FN/FAL were/are known for springs going soft! I have replaced all my FAL mag springs with new HD replacements, AND keep "Kits" for them! I would say that most new mags care probably fine, no real need to worry!

A long long time. My dad's now my Ruger MkI has been kept loaded for over 30 years and had the snot shot out of it and the original mag spring still functions well. Never replaced an AR mag spring yet. But will when they need it.:)

I have a Remington Model 51 380 that has not had an empty mag since at least 1944* and still preforms as intended.
*With a couple brief exceptions, plus range time.
I've got a 1908 Colt that has been full-stoked (mag and cocked) for a very long time. same dang springs from the git go
frickin laser beam

The only mags I leave loaded are the ones for self defense firearms and I just have a couple. I am not one of those stacks of loaded mag guys. For my house gun I have two loaded mags (which is 58 rounds). If I cannot stop a threat to my home with 58 rounds of 5.56x45 I got a lot bigger problem than another magazine will solve.

I have replacement spring kits and wear parts for the 1911s and ARs. I will probably never use them. So now I need to order the same for the p226. You can never be too prepared.:)

STOP THE SHOW!!!!!
A GLOCK 20 magazine will last almost 2 years.
I bought into the mindset that loading and unloading the mags is what made the springs weak. So all my mags were loaded to the top. Then I moved over here and did some shooting. Some of the mag springs had gone soft and would not feed.
I had used every mag at one time or another and had worked perfectly.
So ford me,I'll rotate my mags more so on a regular basis.
YMMV

STOP THE SHOW!!!!!
A GLOCK 20 magazine will last almost 2 years.
I bought into the mindset that loading and unloading the mags is what made the springs weak. So all my mags were loaded to the top. Then I moved over here and did some shooting. Some of the mag springs had gone soft and would not feed.
I had used every mag at one time or another and had worked perfectly.
So ford me,I'll rotate my mags more so on a regular basis.
YMMV

Mabey when they say perfection its a limited time only. And on the mag's. First time I've heard that.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top