JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My wife bought me a BFR 45/70 pistol for an anniversary present, it got held up for almost 2 months. After successfully buying several rifles and pistols over the last few years they put a hold on her over something from 1976 and refused to release until they got the original records. It's frustrating but it's just something you have to deal with these days.

I once waited 7 months for a delayed BGC at Keiths and finally went in and got my full refund back. I had to pay full price for the gun and then wait that long for them to figure it out!? Never Again!!

Triggerman

Why not just transfer on the 4th day as the law states? It's not putting your ffl in jeopardy. It's only going to keep me from purchasing anything from you again.

Releasing the gun after three days opens businesses up to liability. Look at the Charleston shooting. They released his gun after three days and he used it illegally. Even though they did nothing wrong under the law, it remains likely that they will still have to defend themselves civilly. Even if they are found not guilty/not liable, it's an expensive defense.

I no longer have a retail shop, I'm just a humble gunsmith again, but if a customer was delayed, they paid the $10 for the check and paid the rest when they cleared. Over the years, it cost me one sale. But as a small shop, I couldn't risk the liability. No offense, but my family's future means more to me than your gun. But I called OSP for my customers, I hounded them as much as I could and did the best I could by my customers.

I have never heard of a cancellation being an automatic ban. OSP doesn't know if the customer or the shop cancelled. I'm pretty sure they are blowing sunshine up your skirt, so to speak. Good luck Penguin!

Exactly why any ffl worth anything carries liability insurance. If a customer of mine had permits from 2 different states I would release the rifle. Obviously the sheriff and fbi checks have already been done. Other states use the permit as a green light to walk out the same day. I asked if I could at least take home my upper, no was the answer. Last time I checked you don't need an ffl to purchase an upper. It's just a bad shop. Located in the seediest part of town.

Unfortunately the Charleston shooting was due in part to the ncis issuing a delay instead for a straight denial.

I do carry insurance. I'm also under no illusions that insurance companies are in it for the money and would work very hard to figure out a way to be able to drop me if they thought they could. I understand what you're saying, but like I said, my family's future is worth more to me than your waiting...

Certainly a sad state of affairs with almost all areas of business as following the law shouldn't pose culpability issues. It's a shame and can all be blamed on lawyers. It's your fault the burglar fell through your skylight and broke his back scenario.

Never been delayed or know anyone that has, when we have rarely used a FFL its been 20 minutes or less except in 2012 when it took 2 hours. It why I tend not to use FFL for purchases. ;);););)

I have had luck with small independent FFL's but that was before the laws changed.
The last long delay I was put on, 38 days, the store cancelled and reinitiated the sale and BGC without my CPL and got the proceed 3 days later. I've been delayed 3 times in the last 2 yrs. The longest was the 38 days, the shortest being 2, which was exactly one week after buying two different firearms in the same week and getting instant proceeds on both purchases.
Doesn't make sense why a proceed or a delay is issued but in my situation and experience if I go on a buying spree in a short period of time it seems like I will end up getting a delay on one of those purchases.

The OSP is under no regulation to release your hold after a certain amount of time. If you have anything on your record that causes a red flag, they will delay. Doesn't matter how old or for what offense really. Their game plan is to stall u forever. I had a dismissed matter non felony and non domestic. Dismissed...... And I had a delay for 115 days. It came to an end because I drove to the courthouse to get the paperwork and fax the OSP myself.. Now I am clear for at least 4 years in their system. Find out why the delay and then do the footwork. I. Do not know which ffl will release in Oregon, but the Tropics Pawm shop on hwy 99 released mine without an okay from the Feds after 8 days or so. Good luck Ben

I have talked to the OSP three times since my delay May 20th.
The first two times it was with a guy named Jeff who was fairly pleasant, but noncommittal on how long it would take to clear up a 1980 class B misdemeanor in Utah.
The third call was returned by a women and she kept referring to a felony conviction that they were investigating and no matter what I said to her about that it wasn't a Felony, she was as impersonal as they come.
I am now in the process of having my records sent to me from Utah and when they arrive I will fax them to the OSP which they encourage you to do and get this delay cleared up.
The next step is to pay the $115.00 to Utah and have the Misdemeanor expunged from my record.

The first time this happened to me was over five years ago and it only took the OSP five days to clear it up and OK the transfer.
This time around I would think that their workload is greater and they're not in any hurry, plus Utah have not digitized their criminal records and past records are retrieved by hand by what I've been told.

What did the OSP say when you contacted them? Certainly the FFL gave you the number, didn't they?
I called a long time ago lost the number .it was for something in 94 (when I was in highschool!)in Wisconsin got in couple fights in high school no felonys . I could use that number again so I can find out what it was again lost the info and want to get this straight

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top