JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
have keith's send it to Cocktailer whom will mark 21d should you run into a delay again. Yeah, you have to pay for another transfer and background check but at least you're moving forward.

I hear about all the "horror stories" of undue delays and denials, for weird and obscure reasons (like PBP's sister). Back in the early 90's I caught a guy red-handed attempting to break into my house so I properly assaulted him and wound up breaking his back (I guess almost snapped in half), and fractured a vertebrae in his neck, as well as inflicting other contusions and such.

Three months later the PDX po-po rolls up to my house with a warrant for my arrest for "1st degree assault and menacing". Apparently the ADA needed something to do, and pressed charges even though the guy I thrashed didn't want anything to do with it. Long story short, the Judge dismissed the case and I was only out one night in a smelly downtown jail, some sleepless nights worrying, and $250 for a VERY charitable lawyer... STILL chaps my arse to this day, however.

Fortunately, I have never had an issue with a NICS for any FFL purchase (or security clearances), and I've purchased everything from four AR lowers at a time, to pistols, rifles, and shotguns.

What IS weird though, is I DID have to get some confusion cleared up with ODFW to get a hunting license once, as they had one of my daughter's SSN crossed into my info and it flagged me at the retail terminal... WTH?!

Last Edited:
Once it is over 3 days, it is the dealers choice. As far as application of this principle it varies from FFL to FFL.

NCIS will ussualy give a delay date (more so on the website than over the phone, and not always), this is the date most dealers will release it by, even in the event the NCIS/OSP call back was not given.

Many dealers will also have an in house policy for release: per example: "if delayed with no call back for two weeks, we will call you to pick it up", but again, this can vary.

I finally got ahold of Keith's today. I am going to go get a refund tomorrow. My sister just passed her TWIC background check six months ago so I know her record is clean. TWIC does not even allow gross misdemeanors on your record to work the ports...much less felonies. It is a shame some gunshops help organizations like the OSP deny gun ownership to legal gun owners via redtape.
What did OSP tell her when she called them?

I've never been delayed, but having worked at a place that does the "hold until proceed" process I spend extra time searching for a gun store that transfers on day 3 regardless. I won't spend a dime elsewhere. It's costs me 5% more at most, and I don't have to deal with stories like these.

I'd go in, get the refund, and tell them to do what they have to. It won't turn to a Deny like stated, it simply gets cancelled. They don't want to pay out it all.

Got around to calling them again today. Was told OSP gave themselves another month. I was also told again that if I cancelled the sale it would go down as a denial and she would not be able to legally buy a gun again.

I was also told again that if I cancelled the sale it would go down as a denial and she would not be able to legally buy a gun again.

I do not believe the legal pretence is present for them to make this descision.

You can't "cancel a back gorund check during delay", the monies would just need to be refunded, and you loose the NCIS fee at the most. Then the NCIS follows its course out, the gun shop goes its way, and you go yours.

They would not have the means to report you as a "cancelee" (?), to curb future purchases based on that alone. The NCIS would determine, once the back ground was instigated, if you passed or not, ...with a or without a refund.
You would loose your NCIS fee since no matter the outcome you were processed.

But maybe I am missing something...

Got around to calling them again today. Was told OSP gave themselves another month. I was also told again that if I cancelled the sale it would go down as a denial and she would not be able to legally buy a gun again.

Insanity. Guess I'm never doing business with Keith's again. Good luck to you PP.

The only way I see cancelling the purchase ever preventing you from purchasing another firearm is when you purchase one at Keith's. The store has no legal standing to prevent you from purchasing a firearm anywhere else if you can already legally purchase one.

Denial's aren't all that bad anyways. There is an appeals process that will probably net you a pin number to avoid this stuff. Also NCIS hands out one time use waivers for people who do get WRONGFULLY denied for their next purchase within X number of days ( I think it's 90 days). A denial is NOT a permanent answer, more of a "you need to call the FBI/OSP and find out what/why".

The Money Market Pawn shop won't transfer to me even after the 3 day hold per my delay. I had the gun shipped there after I purchases from the gun broker. They received it on Nov. 6, 2015.

I have been delayed before, went to Tropics Pawn Shop in the couve, they released the pistol to me after 14 business days. Evidently Washington state adds 10 days more to a delayed response on top of the 3.

The Money Market place said if they don't get a response back, I can have my rifle on January 13, 2016. That's right folks, that would make it 68 days. I have a permit in Oregon and Washington State. This system is completely broken. I have a drawer full of guns, I guess I just don't understand the logic.

The ffl should just check the box and let me be on my merry way. Just a heads up to anyone who wants to purchase a firearm or do a transfer there.

I know I can get a ncis upin but I'm patient enough to just wait the normal 3 day or 14 day in Washington state time period, but this Ffl just sucks bubblegum. Don't go there!
The Tropics Pawn shop told me that most delayed responses never even come back with an answer, it just goes dead.

I just had one delayed at Tropics and it was for only a day, so I don't know where their getting that. The OP was talking about OR anyway.

Yeah, I'm in no hurry, ideally I'd like to have my rifle. I call them every day and ask them if they are going to release it based upon my 2 consealed permits and every day I get a no response. If it goes the 80+ days, I've bought real estate faster, my permits even came in faster. Pathetic.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top