JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Sorry for the n00b question, but I just recently bought my first firearm (Ruger SR9 stainless), so I'm a total rookie here! Just wondering how long you can leave rounds in the clip before you need to start worrying about the springs getting damaged?

Now feel free to nominate me for n00b of the month, lol!

Springs don't get damaged by being kept in compression or not. It the act of compressing and decompressing that wears them out (Work hardens the metal).

Oh and there Mags not clips. M1s use spring clips. No question is a dumb question, just one you don't know the answer to.

You can keep them loaded for as long as you wish. It is the loading and unloading that will cause the most wear to the magazine spring.

If your worried about the magazines, buy plenty of extras and/or the parts to rebuild them.

Wow, 3 fast replies, this forum doesn't dilly-dally around! Thanks, and very good info to know! Almost 39, and didn't know keeping a spring in compression didn't hurt it, but never to late to learn!

OK I'll ask a question I don't know. Was watching "Tales of the gun, the M-16" and they said in Vietnam the guys using M-16s only loaded 16 in a 20 round mag because of spring problems. What were they referring to?

OK I'll ask a question I don't know. Was watching "Tales of the gun, the M-16" and they said in Vietnam the guys using M-16s only loaded 16 in a 20 round mag because of spring problems. What were they referring to?

From what I just read, probably dirt and rust in the magazine and its spring, especially in a jungle situation like Vietnam.

Many if not most of the aluminum 20rd USGI mags will actually fit 21 rounds in them. Problem is if you stuff 21 rounds in they do not lock into place well on a closed bolt since there is no room left to compress. Second part is this situation creates lots of pressure against the feed lips which can cause feeding issues. I have a lot of these mags that I use with my target AR that I load 18rd into. Never had a problem.

In the majority of my magazines I choose to load 2 rounds less then they are rated for. I feel this creates a little less overall stress on things and they are easier to lock into the mag well.

Many if not most of the aluminum 20rd USGI mags will actually fit 21 rounds in them. Problem is if you stuff 21 rounds in they do not lock into place well on a closed bolt since there is no room left to compress. Second part is this situation creates lots of pressure against the feed lips which can cause feeding issues. I have a lot of these mags that I use with my target AR that I load 18rd into. Never had a problem.

In the majority of my magazines I choose to load 2 rounds less then they are rated for. I feel this creates a little less overall stress on things and they are easier to lock into the mag well.

I agree on both these statements. I can get 31 in my P MAGS.

I also load 2 rounds shy of max capacity on mags I keep loaded. I carry 3 mags for my 1911. 2 of them get 6 rounds and go on my belt the one going in the gun gets 7. Then when I cock it and lock it I have 6 in the mag, one in the pipe and am ready to go. I had some cheap mags for my P89 that I left loaded all the way and it killed them... Ive never had a problem with good mags but I still dont leave them topped off

Oh and there Mags not clips. M1s use spring clips. No question is a dumb question, just one you don't know the answer to.

Now when correcting someone,use the proper word. That would be "they're mags" not "there mags"
I'm glad I never make mistakes when posting.

Good advice. A lot of people do not understand this. Don't keep playing with your mags by repeatedly loading and unloading them. Keep a 'stress mag' around dedicated to this purpose if necessary.

Than I'm not supposed to shoot and reload the clips?
I new better then too click on this thread,sew confusing.

I purchased a new Colt Series 70 1911 back in 1976. The two mags that came with it have been loaded since then. I emptied both at a target last weekend and reloaded them afterwards. No worries.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top