JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have to laugh at articles like this. Using Mexico, with 4 times the gun related deaths that the US has, for a model for US gun control? What are these people smoking?

Anyway, it's not gun deaths that matter, it is violent deaths. If a country has no guns, it does not imply people aren't hacked to death with machetes, as in Africa.

Here is a map with the rate of violent deaths:
VIOLENCE DEATH RATE BY COUNTRY (http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/cause-of-death/violence/by-country/)

Note, Mexico has a violent death rate 5 times that of the US. And unless you routinely deal drugs in the violent US black market (created by government prohibition), your personal exposure is much, much lower.

I literally laughed out loud when I saw the countries listed in the article that people had "lived in" and now had such a great and epic understanding of what needed to be done to keep us safe from ourselves.

First and foremost, Sweden? Seriously? What a hardship. 4th in gun ownership world wide too, your argument is invalid.

Japan?? Japanese people, whole groups of them, take vacations to Hawaii JUST to shoot. There is an entire industry built around foreign shooters there. What did that even teach you?

My favorite is the dude (ex-pat by the way...you gave up your right to participate in this conversation sparky) who became a contract soldier in Israel, saying how unsafe it is in the states, we shouldn't have guns, only military and its different because to the majority of Israelis that carry guns, its not a hobby its a "grim reality".

I have lived in 3 countries besides America, and been to around 15-20 others for ranges of days to weeks. every single one had its issues. Some were horrible. I learned a lot about life, a lot about people and I learned a lot about myself.

One of the things I learned was that good or bad, America is my country. It has its problems, it has a lot of problems. So does every single other place out there. Every one.

So kick rocks back to your summer internships and ex-pat mercenary work and be about your business.

One of the things I learned was that good or bad, America is my country. It has its problems, it has a lot of problems. So does every single other place out there. Every one.

Hear, hear! I spent a year in Paris, loved the place, but America was my home and I was happy to return.

I spent time in Israel too. Commonplace to see civilians walking around, standing at bus stops, etc. holding M16's and the like. Using Israel as an argument for gun control? :rolleyes:

Even the gun laws here aren't great. They need to get rid of the NFA, and the 1986 ban on automatics. Then we should take Israel as an example then arm the people who should have guns and train them.

I've lived in 5 different countries. Been to...some 40 others. I've seen my share of nice places and back woods crap holes. I have spent more than my fare share of time abroad. And it hasn't changed my perspective on guns one freaking bit. Free men own guns. Subjects do not. Don't like America because of guns? Then don't come back!

My only experience living in areas with strict gun control (outside of the U.S), would be South Korea. I already think gun laws here are too restrictive, no way would I go back there. You might be able to get a rifle, if you jump through a bunch of hoops, but you know what you aren't bringing home with you? The gun. Except for hunting season, IICR.

I have to laugh at articles like this. Using Mexico, with 4 times the gun related deaths that the US has, for a model for US gun control? What are these people smoking?

Anyway, it's not gun deaths that matter, it is violent deaths. If a country has no guns, it does not imply people aren't hacked to death with machetes, as in Africa.

Here is a map with the rate of violent deaths:
VIOLENCE DEATH RATE BY COUNTRY (http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/cause-of-death/violence/by-country/)

Note, Mexico has a violent death rate 5 times that of the US. And unless you routinely deal drugs in the violent US black market (created by government prohibition), your personal exposure is much, much lower.

They always conveniently limit their comparisons to the US to "1st world" countries or "developed" countries. When you look at our closest neighbors we are doing pretty well. In fact, I'd say a large part of our problems come from our neighbors to the south:

WesternHemisphereGuns.jpg

No, that chart plays into "gun banner logic". It's not firearms related deaths that matter - a country with no guns at all could have ruinous amounts of homicide. It's violent deaths that matter.

Too funny - having spent work time in Canada, Mexico and Europe, reading an article like the OP/spam reminds me of exactly why I'd never for a moment consider living anywhere but America, home of the free and the brave (well, some of us).

I loved France! Even liked the french people, really got down with the awesome wines and cheeses and "home cookin" that never really gets noticed!

We visited Cannes and Marsseille on the cruise. We visited an island of the coast of Cannes named Île Saint-Honorat and they grow grapes and olives on this island and make their own wine. I bought a bottle of white wine it it was very good. We hiked over the Fortified monastery of Abbey Lérins and climbed up on top and had a very nice view.

I miss the sidewalk cafes that they had in both Cannes and in Marsseille we took a bus an visited "Aix-en-Provence" and enjoyed outdoor cafe as well. Good espresso. :)

DSCN1091.JPG

Île Saint-Honorat - Wikipedia

Last Edited:

I can't find it now, but in the past week or so, I saw that he murder rate in Mexico is about 3rd on the planet. Behind places which are war zones. Not sure how you measure murder rate in an area like Syria.

Mexico Is World's Second Most Violent Country, Report Says

----

In the chart shared, VIOLENCE DEATH RATE BY COUNTRY

I wonder how many of the Violence related deaths would not occur if that act was in the USA, or other first world nation? El Salvador has how many ambulances/hospitals/short wait for care -vs- even Chicago or Baltimore? There is a lot of violence in nations that have the Queen - they just don't result in deaths. Number one item used for violence in Scotland? - Beer mug/stein.

It is a complex issue.

I was talking with a bunch of Eurotrash on a cruise once and they were talking out their azzes about us. One guy was like, "how do you sleep knowing someone could break into your home and shoot you?" I told him in America, we just kill them. He looked shocked. I showed him some point-blank 12 GA wounds for effect.

I asked if people call minorities terms like African-Dutcherians or Latin-Frenchtards or Asian-Krauts. They all said they dont believe in separation and hyphenations.

Just when I was about to compliment them on the assimilation and unity, one of the guys said, "we just refer to people of color as ni&&ers".

We need to model our gun control laws on Canada, Greenland, and Australia. They have the lowest rates and we need to get there no matter what. Let's start by disarming all the citizens! Said No one EVER.:rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top