JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I rarely go shooting these days, in the last year I've donated far more 9mm than I've used just to train some new gun owners in the basics of handling and shooting.

Been spoiled over the years buying ammo with little markup (nice having connections) but limited budget in the days of cheap ammo, I could not stock up much....

In the name of finding ammo and diversifying, been changing to various calibers in case I find that deal on a certain caliber.

Also going to start switching from range recreation and try for precision shooting to conserve and still try and do it with cheap ammo (precision and cheap/inexpensive usually don't go together).

Last time I was at the range, I shot exactly 100rds, 7.62x39, testing a new AR upper, some new mags (duramags and unimags gen2), and seeing if the binary trigger would function properly (designated lower with binary trigger to float between platforms without having to change the trigger from lower to lower).

Well, it's reached the point where its now worth my time to reload. The days of getting a case of Portuguese .308 dropped on your porch for $125 are long past, as are the days of $7/50 9mm ammo. So now I grind out 9mm and 45 ACP once again.
The pendulum swings in both directions and now we are once again in the expensive and limited ammo zone.

none. I hardly ever shoot. But I have zillions of rounds. I only shoot when I have a new gun to sight in. Which currently I am 3 guns behind. I ts just time for me. Too much going on. But i have all the ammo when I get more time.

I dont know, I am more aware of what I have and can reload so I switch up calibers. I have been shooting my 500 mag more but now projectiles are sold out too.

I picked up a good 2000 empty 9mm cases to reload from places in the woods...seems like people still shoot a lot!?

Of course, that is where I live. BUT, remember that over here in UK/Europe there is NO ammunition shortage, except of US-made ammunition, and here in UK we have Eley .22cal made by the gazillion not far from me, and ALL the European and Scandinavian ammunition producers too.

Thank you for putting this up.

Do you think that the UK's .gov LIMITS on who much you can have/own at one time is one of the many reasons why you and other gun people do not have so called shortages?

Plus you have many ammunition producers overseas. I read the history about ELY on their website too. Interesting!

What have you heard about Canada lately when it comes to fake/real shortages?

Do they have any shortages going on right now in Canada?

NO problems with primers in Canada or overseas?

I do not remember what limits that a gun person has in Canada when it comes to RF and CF factory ammunition PLUS reloading supplies.

Limits meaning what they can BUY at one time, have in their home or on their ammo card.

Take care.

Cate

Thank you for putting this up.

Do you think that the UK's .gov LIMITS on who much you can have/own at one time is one of the many reasons why you and other gun people do not have so called shortages?

Plus you have many ammunition producers overseas. I read the history about ELY on their website too. Interesting!

What have you heard about Canada lately when it comes to fake/real shortages?

Do they have any shortages going on right now in Canada?

NO problems with primers in Canada or overseas?

I do not remember what limits that a gun person has in Canada when it comes to RF and CF factory ammunition PLUS reloading supplies.

Limits meaning what they can BUY at one time, have in their home or on their ammo card.

Take care.

Cate

Cate - the government doesn't impose the limits - it's entirely up to the county chief of police and what, in HIS/HER mind, is a reasonable amount for any person to have at any one time. Unlike many folks - even on this forum - I don't feel the NEED to hold 5000 rounds of anything, let alone reloads. Where on earth would I store it? Our house is probably about the size of a decent-sized closet where you live...anyhow, as I reload or cast everything I shoot - except .22RF, obviously - I've never felt the need nor ever had the space for multiple thousands of rounds of anything. No basements here in UK, y'see.

One American shooter of my acquaintance sent me a photo of one of his three gun rooms with two of the safe doors open. One of them, a six-foot tall Browning with a capstan door lock like a bank vault, held a thousand pre-loaded magazines of .223. The one beside it had so many Glock magazines - all pre-loaded - that he admitted that he didn't know how many he had, but it was likely about two-thousand or so. The rest of the room consisted of floor to ceiling stacks of cans of Russian stuff and a hundred or so guns to shoot it all in. He told me that there were also about forty handguns around his home, strategically-placed just in case.

He is obviously concerned about the way he perceives things are heading, even in Texas.

Hmmmmmmmmm.

As a club we buy our .22cal rimfire in 50,000 lots of mixed grades of Eley. At least four club members, two of whom shoot for Team GB, buy 10,000-round lots direct from RWS/Lapua/Eley after spending a day or so trialing it down the National shooting centre with their spiffy rifles.

Not heard anything about shortages in Canada, where there is no restriction on the amount of ammunition you can have. The limiting factor in Canada is the sheer cost of foreign-made ammunition, and, of course, that includes just about EVERY brand of ammunition - Canada no longer makes ammunition AFAIK.

Back here in UK I can have unlimited amounts of reloading supplies as far as bullets go.

My holdings for primers and powder or any kind, nitro or BP, are limited to 25kg - almost 55 pounds - surely enough for anybody who can get to a gun-store as easily as I can. I have four LGS within 40 minutes...

I have to agree with tac. Enough is enough already. I have rifles and pistols and ammo, but only enough to supply all my neighbors for a few weeks of pure anarchy. Even I have limits.

As far as MY shooting goes? I limit myself to .22 because they're easy to get. .45 ACP and 223/556 because I reload for them and some misc. .44-40 and .45 Colt because I've got an over abundance of reloading components. I do shoot 9mm, but not like I used to.

Cate - the government doesn't impose the limits - it's entirely up to the county chief of police and what, in HIS/HER mind, is a reasonable amount for any person to have at any one time. Unlike many folks - even on this forum - I don't feel the NEED to hold 5000 rounds of anything, let alone reloads. Where on earth would I store it? Our house is probably about the size of a decent-sized closet where you live...anyhow, as I reload or cast everything I shoot - except .22RF, obviously - I've never felt the need nor ever had the space for multiple thousands of rounds of anything. No basements here in UK, y'see.

One American shooter of my acquaintance sent me a photo of one of his three gun rooms with two of the safe doors open. One of them, a six-foot tall Browning with a capstan door lock like a bank vault, held a thousand pre-loaded magazines of .223. The one beside it had so many Glock magazines - all pre-loaded - that he admitted that he didn't know how many he had, but it was likely about two-thousand or so. The rest of the room consisted of floor to ceiling stacks of cans of Russian stuff and a hundred or so guns to shoot it all in. He told me that there were also about forty handguns around his home, strategically-placed just in case.

He is obviously concerned about the way he perceives things are heading, even in Texas.

Hmmmmmmmmm.

As a club we buy our .22cal rimfire in 50,000 lots of mixed grades of Eley. At least four club members, two of whom shoot for Team GB, buy 10,000-round lots direct from RWS/Lapua/Eley after spending a day or so trialing it down the National shooting centre with their spiffy rifles.

Not heard anything about shortages in Canada, where there is no restriction on the amount of ammunition you can have. The limiting factor in Canada is the sheer cost of foreign-made ammunition, and, of course, that includes just about EVERY brand of ammunition - Canada no longer makes ammunition AFAIK.

Back here in UK I can have unlimited amounts of reloading supplies as far as bullets go.

My holdings for primers and powder or any kind, nitro or BP, are limited to 25kg - almost 55 pounds - surely enough for anybody who can get to a gun-store as easily as I can. I have four LGS within 40 minutes...

Thanks for the information regarding NO shortages in the U.K. and elsewhere.

Sorry for my late reply to you.

I am doing more spring cleaning and cleaning out a file cabinet. I have been busy shredding paper too!

Take care!

Cate

Thanks for the information regarding NO shortages in the U.K. and elsewhere.

Sorry for my late reply to you.

I am doing more spring cleaning and cleaning out a file cabinet. I have been busy shredding paper too!

Take care!

Cate

It is my firm belief that as long as you have people who are quite happy to walk into a gunstore and buy every round they can see, you will have a shortage of ammunition.

Bragging about how much of whatever you 'stocked up on' today quite frankly bores me fa*tless. I know a guy in TX who has stocked up on magazines filled with ammunition, and still has way over a hundred CASES of the stuff in his basement, floor to ceiling.

How does a safe filled with a thousand ready-filled magazines of .223, and another safe filled with maybe two thousand Glock mags - all similarly filled - grab you? His brother, he notes, has even more.

Imagine walking into your local Fred Myers and buying up every single brand and type of deodorant or breakfast cereal, leaving none on the shelves.

Wouldn't you call that thoughtless and selfish?

Call me a wet blanket, but I sure would.

Last Edited:
It is my firm belief that as long as you have people who are quite happy to walk into a gunstore and buy every round they can see, you will have a shortage of ammunition.

Bragging about how much of whatever you 'stocked up on' today quite frankly bores me fa*tless. I know a guy in TX who has stocked up on magazines filled with ammunition, and still has way over a hundred CASES of the stuff in his basement, floor to ceiling.

How does a safe filled with a thousand ready-filled magazines of .223, and another safe filled with maybe two thousand Glock mags - all similarly filled - grab you? His brother, he notes, has even more.

Imagine walking into your local Fred Myers and buying up every single brand and type of deodorant or breakfast cereal, leaving none on the shelves.

Wouldn't you call that thoughtless and selfish?

Call me a wet blanket, but I sure would.

Hello,

Yes, I would call it thoughtless and selfish.

Especially when people buy stuff and they don't USE IT, share it with a family member or friend, and don't even PLAN on using it from the gitgo!

The Texas man sounds like he has a fire hazard IN his home to me too.

Crikey, is he planning on WW3?! CIVIL WAR here in the states?!

I used to shoot 10,000 rounds (More or less a bit.) of CF and RF ammunition a year.
Then I went to all RF rounds due to my physical issues.

I planned my budget (Retirement.) and kept 10,000 rounds of RF on hand since I was a HIGH volume shooter. (FEDERAL brand most of the time - 500 to 525/550 BULK boxes and, later on, smaller FEDERAL boxes of 22lr - 325 round boxes.)

We had shooting events out here at our range and I/we GAVE RF ammunition to our friends to shoot. Plus we helped out people when they could not afford much ammo too. Gifts.

When I built up those now FORMER rounds ^^^ of RF ammo when I went completely to ONLY shooting and owning RF firearms, I/we bought ammo a BIT at a time.

When we went for groceries at one specific store (We shopped and STILL shop for groceries at a FEW different stores.) - we bought 1 and sometimes 2 boxes of ammunition at a time. There were NO fake/real shortages going on and TONS (LOL) of ammunition was on hand there and all over the place - gun stores.

THIS was NOT when the so called fake/real shortages were going on around various election times, mass murders and other shootings, riots, the virus crapola, etc.

I never ordered ammo by a case. My late husband did not for sure and my MT husband never did either.

I did not do this when I lived back east - very rural or when I lived in the mountains out here.

I am NOT knocking people who do this. To each their own. But I do think people can go OVERBOARD in some things. They probably thought this about MY former book collection over the years back east too. LOL

My MT husband did not order reloading supplies by a case. He bought LOCALLY - he supported LOCAL businesses 99.9% in the PAST and 100% now.

He did buy some products from 1 MT company, 1 ID company and from a nationwide company in the past.

He does not order from the nationwide company any longer or the MT company. They got too big for their britches and more. LACK of customer service too! He does not need or want any item from the ID company now.

Those ORDERED items were in smaller amounts not by the 'case' or cases SIZE WISE when he used them in the past. A bunch of people who competed with him NO longer use them too. My husband does not compete any longer too. He is NO longer a HIGH volume shooter but he DOES SHOOT on a regular basis - CF and RF firearms.

When we sold (And gifted.) firearms and other GUN related stuff over the years... we usually took a full in store credit too. So we got some factory ammo, some reloading supplies, fishing gear, books, clothing, a knife or two, etc. It depended on which store or FFL man that we used for the FULL in store credit for the sale of our goods too. Store policy and rate of commission.

When I got OUT of being a high volume shooter, I scaled WAY BACK - two different ways when it came to having LESS RF on hand for myself. I fluctuated on my BARE minimum levels on and off over the years even when I SCALED WAY BACK in my shooting too.

My MT husband did the same thing for his RF stock AGAIN since HE is going to more 22lr HP instead of 22lr RN, he kept his BIT - small amount of 45acp and 30-30 Win FACTORY ammo, and he scaled BACK on ALL of his reloading stock too.

Downsizing and firearm consolidation. Sold and gifted MANY items over the years from a to z! Before and AFTER retirement - he made some big changes over the years.

I am a person who believes in USE IT or LOSE IT! My late husband and my MT husband believed/believe in the USE IT or LOSE IT way of thinking too.

USE it or LOSE it! KISS method = my late husband's old military saying - keep it simple stupid. I use that for saying for MYSELF a lot too. LOL

Keep a small amount of factory ammo on hand, in MY case now RF ammo in 22lr and 22wmr, - a bare minimum level that I will not go below.

Right now, I have 1,000 rounds of 22lr and 1,000 rounds of 22wmr for myself. But the way I am shooting FAR LESS - I could go to 250 to 500 rounds EACH in 22lr and in 22wmr - bare minimum level for myself and GIVE the extra ammo to my husband. I have gone back and forth over this level over the years too.

I never did reload too.

My husband does reload (Early 70's.) but when he reloads now, he reloads 20 or 50 or sometimes 100 rounds (100 rounds = rarely.) PER CALIBER of whatever he needs at the time.

When he used to compete BEFORE his crazy - high stress 24/7 work schedule changed and before his retirement, he used to RELOAD A LOT at one time because he SHOT A LOT and often during one week. BUT he stopped doing that a LONG, long time ago.

When he had to MOVE THAT FORMER RELOADED AMMO many years ago AND all of that other stuff - products ALL ALONE it just about KILLED HIM and he was in good shape!

He had a LOT of ammo and gun related STUFF to store all over again at that TIME and he eventually shot it all up but he will NEVER EVER AGAIN have to do that again.
He can do that IF he lives alone or builds his own house! LOL

Seriously, he does NOT want to do that again AND it was a HECK of a lot to move under VERY STRESSFUL CIRCUMSTANCES and he had a LOT more firearms and firearm calibers at the time.

OMG!

Can you imagine men and women having to MOVE all of that HEAVY STUFF from a to z in an emergency situation - man made or weather related - fire, flood, earthquake or whatever?!

What a MESS! NO thank you!

I will NOT do that - 10,000 was my Former Limit due to my RF ammo budget and SLOW but sure AND planned buying process - retirement and being a former widow.

My husband will NOT do that ever again.

He plans AHEAD as I do but he does not go OVERBOARD with some supplies.

When he gets OUT of something - firearm caliber or ANY OTHER ITEM, he passes it on - someone else can USE IT or SHARE IT with a family member or friend.

He is going through some reloading books and other classic and modern GUN related books that he may (?) PASS on now too.

I am still doing some more spring cleaning and he is too. Donations, etc.

Take care.

Blessings to you and your wife.

Cate

Last Edited:
Shoot the carry mostly with the 22lr slide. Mostly the (2) 22 rifles. Don't shoot anything in CF rifles except surplus. No reoading now, no primers. Factory is all at minimums (enough to hunt for a few years) so that is all on hold. Have even slowed up on 22lr now. Was hoping Remington coming back online would help, no joy yet though.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top