JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm curious how a well cared for pump shotgun is supposed to feel, particularly the forend. I've felt quite a few in gun shops and such, and the only way I can really describe them is 'sloppy'. If you wiggle them they wiggle side to side and don't seem 'tight' like I would imagine they should be. If they aren't supposed to be sloppy, how can you tighten them up?

That is how they work. That slight slop is what makes them sooooo reliable.

Just go out and see what one fits you the best and buy it. My wife bought me a Chicom copy of the Ithaca M37 (for X-mas a few years ago) and it is "sloppy" in the fore end but the barrel to reciever fit has no play at all and it is the most accurate pump I have ever fired!

I was happy when she bought it for me, and even more happy when I found out it was only $134.00 and shoots slugs open sighted into 2.5 inches total group size and less for 5 shots!

I tried a Nighthawk Custom re-work of a Remington 870, and it did not have the characteristic rattle/slop that every other pump has (in my experience). It was smooth, and ran as if on the proverbial rails.

I tried a Nighthawk Custom re-work of a Remington 870, and it did not have the characteristic rattle/slop that every other pump has (in my experience). It was smooth, and ran as if on the proverbial rails.

I'm wondering what it takes to take that slop out of the pump action.

If you stick to those with double barred forearms like Rem. 870, it
takes most of it out. Pretty hard to stay away from imports as all the
old time Gun Manufs. now pretty much import lines of their shotguns.
Notall, but some imports have generous tolerances. The three pumps
I own without the rattle and slop are older ones. A Win. Mod. 12, Rem.
Wingmaster Mag. 870, and a Ithaca Mod 37 Delux Featherlite. A Stevens
520 Trench is a little rattley.