JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hi Everyone,

I did something very stupid today at TC-IDPA. Here's what I did, why I did it, and the lesson to learn from it.

I was only -1 coming into the fourth stage. I shot that stage -0 in pretty sure, and at the end, the safety officer had me clear the pistol. I was super happy. I ejected the bullet that was in the chamber and stupidly tried to catch it in the air. I inadvertently passed my weak hand in front of the muzzle. DQ.

Why did I do that? The reason is that I let my emotion interfere with my firing line safety awareness.

What is the lesson to be learned? Whether you're super happy that you shot well, or super angry that you shot poorly, the time for that is after you clear the firing line. You have to stay on-point and aware until your weapon is holstered and you're cleared off the firing line. The SO was right to DQ me from the match. I'll never let that happen again!

I hate dumping my live round on the ground at the end so instead, try this approach instead of trying to catch it, you may already know it:

With your offhand hold the slide in a cupping manner that allows you to put pressure on the slide to rack it but also leaves space for the cartridge to be caught by the gap in the hand. Hold the pistol horizontal, even slightly canted counterclockwise to encourage the cartridge to be ejected into the offhand palm cup, once the cartridge has been ejected into the palm cup you can slide the offhand back on the slide to visually show clear to the RO. The cartridge never hits the dirt, the cartridge never flies through the air and your hands at no point ever potentially get flagged because the offhand remains no further forward than the slide at the chamber.

Something like that
was my first and last match

Last match because frustrated or just no time to partake in another One?

Not knowing what the details were, in all the IDPA, USPSA, and outlaw matches have shot the last almost 10 years, I don't think I have ever heard a range/match brief or new shooters brief cover what to do when a shooter needed to use the Porta potty. Not much room in them to take your stuff off, sounds like what you did would pass the "reasonable man" theory. Especially being "safed" prior...

Hope you are able to shoot another one soon, they are great camaraderie events and have met some fantastic people over the years. Cheers!

I've shot both disciplines and there has to be a direct statement of the exact rule that was broken. The shooter also has the right to appeal the decision to the proper parties before standing down.

I've never been DQd but I have had some SO/ROs make a wrong decision on equipment, stage instructions, etc. Therefore, I always keep a copy of the rulebook with me. A good example was at an IDPA shoot, early in the advent of striker pistols other than Glock... my Ruger SR9c has a manual safety on it, which because of arthritis, and it's placement and small size, I cannot reach... the RO insisted that I activate the safety at the line getting ready to shoot the stage. He said that if the handgun has a safety, it must be used... that's not what the rules say. I bowed out of line, went to my range bag, and showed him the section of the rulebook that states it's optional.

Now, don't get me wrong, I think leaving a pistol laying unsecured is a bad idea, and always take mine in the potty room with me, but I wonder because I've never seen a "laying outside the schlitter" rule. Could be some kind of general safety infraction gotcha, IDK. They could get you on the firearm not being on your person outside of a safety area, but my point is... they should have said so. Portland matches are especially hard on new guys IMO. Safety first and all, but let's not blow up and lose our heads!!!

I'll tell on myself. This wasn't at a match and I wasn't DQd or anything, but I did beat myself up pretty bad for such a serious safety violation.

I was shooting out in the hills with a friend, someone not familiar with guns or shooting. We were getting ready to shoot the M1 Garand. I showed him how to load it and it was ready to fire as we were standing there talking. The conversation carried on and before I realized it I was showing him something about the gas system or some such, and the rifle butt was on the ground and we were looking at the muzzle.

Suddenly I realized that I had not made it safe, that there was a round chambered and it was not even on safety. I made it safe, explained what I had done, and profusely apologized. I still feel bad about that one. Thoughtless mistakes like that should never happen.

Agree. Thoughtless mistakes are made by the best and experienced people, I've made my share of them over the years. Learning from those mistakes made is the key. And of course, how and what you do afterwards is just as important.

As I age, 65 now, and as I have added more meds to my life, I have noticed my mind is not as clear as it used to be. Hence, I worry more about making mistakes. I guess that is a proper response since the only thing I can do is try to focus on safety and what I am doing while handling firearms. Not to start an old battle, but one of the reasons I switched to Glock is because I worried I would forget to put the safety back on when holstering a hot pistol. That's not usually a problem during matches since a good SO will tell you to do it prior to holstering if running a hot range... in a cold range the SO will tell you to drop the mag and unload the chamber. Some folks will not shoot with us here since we run a hot range. But the director figures it's good training because CC people walk around loaded anyway. o_O

Yeah, I'll admit to loosing a round or two just before I am on the target in action shooting as I stage the Glock trigger (never used to with my Para trigger job and my SR9c does not stage). The rules are becoming stricter and now any AD is a DQ. But mine are so close they can't tell if it's an AD or a miss. Used to be an AD had to be some distance of feet in front of the shooter or over the berm, but now I believe the IDPA rules say any AD... as usual, I could be wrong.

USPSA match
Had to pea
Safed handgun
Put gunbelt on bench
Went to portapotty
Returned.
Guys said "Your DQ'd"

Never leave your gun behind
Well, ok... but what rule did you violate?

I'm curious too. I wasn't there and I don't know the pertinent details, but I wonder if it was a 5.2.1 violation?
"Except when within the boundaries of a safety area, or when under the supervision and direct command of a Range Officer, competitors must carry their handguns unloaded in a gun case, gun bag or in a holster securely attached to a belt on their person (see Rule 10.5.1). A competitor who, while not at a safety area or under RO supervision, removes their holster or their equipment belt with their handgun still in the holster, shall be considered to be in violation of Rule 5.2.1 and subject to disqualification from the match." (Emphasis added.) Feb_2014_Handgun_Rules.pdf

I'm curious too. I wasn't there and I don't know the pertinent details, but I wonder if it was a 5.2.1 violation?
"Except when within the boundaries of a safety area, or when under the supervision and direct command of a Range Officer, competitors must carry their handguns unloaded in a gun case, gun bag or in a holster securely attached to a belt on their person (see Rule 10.5.1). A competitor who, while not at a safety area or under RO supervision, removes their holster or their equipment belt with their handgun still in the holster, shall be considered to be in violation of Rule 5.2.1 and subject to disqualification from the match." (Emphasis added.) Feb_2014_Handgun_Rules.pdf

Ah, I think you are right. Thanx for the info.

The upshot for me is that I don't understand the fanatical application of these types of rules. I call those folks "range nazis". While I'm certainly concerned and thinking about safety, IMO this should have only brought a stern warning. Do it again and we'll DQ you. (In fact, I would have stood there near the abandoned weapon and when he came out said "I secured your firearm for you."

Goodness sakes, people are NOT being shot at matches, unless shot by themselves. Therefore, why the strictness? A solution hunting for a problem. Rules for the sake of the appearance of safety. How many people are still holstering their handguns at their car instead of at the safety area? I'd venture it's a lot. Is it resulting in shootings, NO.

I have personally had loaded firearms pointed in my direction during a match, completely blowing away the 180deg rule... now THAT'S a safety violation.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top