JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi Everyone,

I did something very stupid today at TC-IDPA. Here's what I did, why I did it, and the lesson to learn from it.

I was only -1 coming into the fourth stage. I shot that stage -0 in pretty sure, and at the end, the safety officer had me clear the pistol. I was super happy. I ejected the bullet that was in the chamber and stupidly tried to catch it in the air. I inadvertently passed my weak hand in front of the muzzle. DQ.

Why did I do that? The reason is that I let my emotion interfere with my firing line safety awareness.

What is the lesson to be learned? Whether you're super happy that you shot well, or super angry that you shot poorly, the time for that is after you clear the firing line. You have to stay on-point and aware until your weapon is holstered and you're cleared off the firing line. The SO was right to DQ me from the match. I'll never let that happen again!

Always refreshing to see/read someone acknowldge and learn from their mistakes.

I did something stupid enough with my handgun last weekend that I had to tell my wife I was off my game and just needed to stay in my recliner for the rest of the weekend.

Thanks for sharing. While it sucks to get DQ'd, those rules are there to keep you and others safe. You've got the right attitude about it. Glad you learned a good lesson without any injuries. I've been called out a couple of times by RO's over the years, and while it never feels good, I know they're looking out for me.

I think most of us have been in the DQ arena before, and while it is embarrassing and anything but fun, what is important is that we learn from it and never repeat the mistake. And, as mentioned above, the ROs are watching out for the safety of every one.

What , you mean you you were held accountable and didnt go out burn cars and trash the streets. Oh wait the the others guys reaction when they are held accountable...................carry on.

All seriousness kudos to you and the safety dude for doing what needs doing.:s0151::s0151::s0151:

I'm glad that you made this thread. You made a mistake. We all do. I made a thread like this about 4 years ago regarding a mistake I made. Everyone walked away safe and no round went off, but if I had listened to what some suggested (even some that have posted in your thread here) I would have sold off my guns because it was said I was too dumb to own them. Yet here I am. I'm glad to see the responses here are more understanding.

I'm glad that you made this thread. You made a mistake. We all do. I made a thread like this about 4 years ago regarding a mistake I made. Everyone walked away safe and no round went off, but if I had listened to what some suggested (even some that have posted in your thread here) I would have sold off my guns because it was said I was too dumb to own them. Yet here I am. I'm glad to see the responses here are more understanding.

Yep... here you are. :rolleyes:

:D

I tried the whole "catch the round" trick the other day at another range. I was so focused on catching the round, I didn't realize I had flipped my muzzle over the berm. That would have been a DQ at Tri-County.

It looks cool, but not worth a DQ, or worse.

Last Edited:
Some of the simplest things we do with firearms even though we do it all the time.
I came close to a potential a month ago, my son and I were up at BLM, he had shot his Taurus 357
Mag. At the back of the truck as we were leaving I watched him unload his 357 and put it in the holster.
I then loaded some stuff in the back seat and on the way home my son asked if I could clean that revolver for him
I said sure. I got home and went to the shop and began the cleaning duties.
I took his revolver, and at once opened the cylinder just outta habit and it had all live rounds.
( he went back loaded it for the ride home you know just in cases).
I knew in my head what I saw him do, but it all goes back to no matter what someone else does you do it.
I do remember having a chill moment as I did what I should have but then realized it was loaded I was happy I did what I always do, but there was my mind going good thing I didn't break protocol and let my mind choose something else.
I remember later talking with my son and asked him had he unloaded it he then said yep and also what he did, he said that he knew Id check it. He was right but goes to show as well complacent mind set can be dangerous. I like this thread because no one got hurt but opened our minds to always stay on task.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews