JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Had access to an Infrared thermometer yesterday while shooting my Ultra 9 on a couple of guns. Thunder Beast lists the maximum temperature of 800 degrees. I don't think I have ever been anywhere near that and don't intend to try.

So on my 11.5" barreled 223 AR I shot 10 rounds pretty quickly and got a reading of about 260 degrees. Stopped just long enough to check temps and then fired another 10 pretty quickly. Now up to 20 rounds pretty quickly and the temp is at 370 degrees. Pretty hot but still not even close to the limit. This is as far as I went with the AR since I had 20 round mag and had some others with me that were wanting to sight in guns.

Let the suppressor cool back to ambient while others were shooting then gave it another go on my Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 CM. Shot a 10 shot group fairly quickly. Not as fast as possible but still relatively quick. Slid the mirage cover back and got a 265 degrees reading.

I really had no idea how hot it was really getting. Nice to know that I am plenty safe. Anyone else checked their suppressor temps?

mine can get hot enough to cook bacon on it:D

never put an infrared thermometer on it but im sure it gets pretty hot when shooting 308 thru it repeatedly. my 45acp and 9mm barely heat it up

3A5E9F5C-B597-48A7-80D0-3882DC5FD8F8.png

Doesn't heat up at all!

If you have a cover on it, try the same thing without it. You might be surprised how much heat the cover makes the can retain.

Yes, I am sure you are right. I probably shot those 10 shots in 90-120 seconds so it wasn't like it would have had a lot of time to cool off between shots even without the cover. Either way, it really isn't getting hot enough to worry about. :)

Has anyone tried the mirage covers that direct the venting to the sides instead of straight up, while still discountahing dummy burns from grabbing it? Exoskeleton types?

How many rounds of 308 do you put through yours before letting it cool?
ive rapid fired 25 before reloaded and rapid fired another 25.

usually, i do not rapid fire my ar10. it was just one of those days. typically, i shoot a round, BS with my buddies, shoot another round, repeat.

ive rapid fired 25 before reloaded and rapid fired another 25.

usually, i do not rapid fire my ar10. it was just one of those days. typically, i shoot a round, BS with my buddies, shoot another round, repeat.

What brand suppressor, if you don't mind me asking. That is seems pretty good to me. I bet it was screaming hot after that. I am with you in that I really don't do a lot of rapid fire but it is interesting to do some experiments.

Depends on the platform: Suppressed lever-action? Not much, just a little warm. 10/22 with a can? Again, not much, even with a lot of shooting. Suppressed vz61? A bit after a bunch of shooting. The suppressed AR-15 SBR after numerous mag dumps? Super hot and could easily fry something up on it. Smoking a lot too. Had one cover, mind you one supposedly for "rapid fire", burst into flames and had to be dunked in water. :s0112:

Depends on the platform: Suppressed lever-action? Not much, just a little warm. 10/22 with a can? Again, not much, even with a lot of shooting. Suppressed vz61? A bit after a bunch of shooting. The suppressed AR-15 SBR after numerous mag dumps? Super hot and could easily fry something up on it. Smoking a lot too. Had one cover, mind you one supposedly for "rapid fire", burst into flames and had to be dunked in water. :s0112:
well, lighting things on fire(legally) makes it more awesome. 'MERICA!!

Not suppressor related, but I once put away an AR after doing some rapid fire with mag changes and pistol transitions and it melted the lining of the soft case.

I'm not sure why I am so interested in this but apparently I am.....

Bought a nice Fluk IR thermometer this week just for fun. Had another go with my 11.5" barreled 223 AR with the Ultra 9. This time I got a max reading of 610 degrees after 30 rounds as fast as I could get them into the berm. As I mentioned above, I rarely do mag dumps like this but I am doing it for science. o_O

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top