JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm getting ready to cut the vented ribbed barrel on my Remington 1100 12ga. I want a super nice, true cut. At work, we have a very expensive and big horizontal band saw with a hydraulic vise. I'm scared the vise will smash the barrel. How hard are they to smash/crush?

Fairly easily distorted. I would suggest a set of pine blocks, and the barrel wrapped with masking tape, IF you must use this method...

Paying a professional may be a better plan.

Try plugging that section of barrel with a hardwood dowel that fits very tight.
Use some thin brass shim stock to wrap around the dowel to get that perfect fit.

Bore a chunk of pine with a hole slightly smaller than the barrel OD, split the block and trim to fit the jaws of the vise. Sand the 'halves' until they fit the barrel snug without too much force. Now you have a support for the barrel that grips a larger surface area. If all you are doing is just cutting the barrel a firm support is all you need, not a crushing grip.

You may be better off just getting a new barrel instead. I would suggest that if you want to use the one you have and if you can remove the rib vent then a plummers pipe cutter is your best bet. The cut will be alot cleaner than a bandsaw.

plummers pipe cutter is your best bet.
No a bad idea either. Just go easy on the blade tension as you are turning the cutter to keep from rolling the end of the barrel inward. When finished a light chamfer on the inside end with some 320 wet or dry will clean any burr you may have.

No a bad idea either. Just go easy on the blade tension as you are turning the cutter to keep from rolling the end of the barrel inward. When finished a light chamfer on the inside end with some 320 wet or dry will clean any burr you may have.
Yeah, I was going to that with one I had but the barrel was tapered in the spot I wanted to cut so I just got lucky and found a shorter barrel at a gun show. I would highly recommend that you don't try to cut at the
taper of the barrel. You will just ruin it because the pipe cutter will "walk" as you turn it. You could recrown the barrel like RVtech suggest or even a dremel with some polishing stones and a very light touch.

You may be better off just getting a new barrel instead. I would suggest that if you want to use the one you have and if you can remove the rib vent then a plummers pipe cutter is your best bet. The cut will be alot cleaner than a bandsaw.

Good idea EXCEPT: the outside of the barrel is usually tapered so the pipe cutter will make a spiral cut.

super stong! I had a 28" 870 barrel I cut to 18". I tried to smash the nub in a vi. I have a harbor fce reight 8" vice. with all my weight, 190 lbs, I did nothing but surface nicks from the vice. I did take a 5lbs and did some good damage with that

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top