JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A bit of a noob when it comes to guns, I am contemplating purchasing my first handgun sometime in the next few weeks. I am in the military, but have only used guns on the job and when out with friends, using their guns. I am "expert" with an M9, M14, and M16, but only really care for the M14 out of the three. One of my friends has quite a decent collection of revolvers, from the S&W .22 mag, S&W .357 mag, S&W .44 mag, and we are currently waiting arrival of his new addition, the S&W .50 mag. I am not big into revolvers, though. They are nice to go out and shoot, but I am looking for something for myself that I can use for armed security when I get out of the military.

The one that caught my eye up until this point has been the springfield xd series. With the addition of the Springfield XDm40, I believe this is going to be my choice. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Chuckles

The XD series is highly regarded. I don't have a lot of experience with it so I can't give you any advice on one though.

Greetings and welcome to our community! Enjoy your stay!

Weclome to NWFA!

What branch are you in? I'm presently in the Oregon National Guard...deploying this April.

If you're looking for advice regarding what to buy, I personally would recommend buying something that's on the prospective ban list, considering that it could double or triple in value if the legislation goes through.
Such items would include hi-cap mags, and any "assault weapon" or military-style "non-sporting" firearm. (somehow a bayonet lug makes bullets hurt more)

Just my two cents though, like I said, welcome to our forum :)

Thanks weebs. I have been researching online, and going to the gunshows and ranges in the area for a few months now, so I do believe I am going to get that XDm40. One of the biggest reasons I want to right now is due to the hi-cap mags, like ghanderson10 was saying. I don't see myself buying any assault weapons anytime soon, so meh on that for now. I think my second handgun will either be a Kimber or a Glock. I kind of want to do comparisons, and from what a lot of my friends are telling me, Kimber and Glock make some of the best weapons out there. Just from feeling them out in the stores and at the gunshows, and using them as eye candy, the Kimber 1911 series is definitely something I could see myself enjoying, while the Glock G36 is something I could see myself putting to good use in an armed security position.

By the way ghanderson10, I am a Gunner's Mate in the Navy. Love my job, and for the past six and a half years guns really have been my job, but still don't want to consider myself anything more than a noob until I have a decent collection. Up until this point I have lived on the ship so I have been unable to have a collection myself, unless you count magazines (the paper kind).

Chuckles

I own an XD-9. It is my most reliable firearm by far. It's also my carry gun of choice. I have put more than 3000 rounds through it without a sigle malfunction of ANY kind. Good price, great gun.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top