JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is what im buying next. And unlike a baton which is called a weapon by everyone, this stick is not and yet is a far better weapon and is travel/TSA-friendly (with a normal scan with the rest of your stuff). See the vid, you think this can defend from a perp or will ever bow or break?

Now THAT looks like a weapon!!! :eek:

91walkz.jpg

The one I looked at had the probes on the end, but also a bunch of contacts along the sides of the wand. The idea was to not need to be very accurate with a miscreant doggie, just brush them with it I never bought one, but still think it's a good idea. Problem is now that the wife doesn't have enough free hands while walking. She uses a 6' walking stick after she broke her ankle a few years back and wants her other hand free.
Yeah when I bought the one I have they were making some like that. At the time it was supposed to keep some dobad from trying to grab the thing away from you.
If they could put on of these on the end of a cane would probably be great for keeping dogs away :D

The one I have is made out of the same stuff but has the traditional curved head. You just use a hack saw to cut it to the correct length for you. Damn stuff they make them out of is just impossible to break.

I use a cane with an L shaped head when my foot, leg, knee, or back is bothering me. I'm tempted to get one of these with the solid brass head:

Y8K7dWiRKCwOdezgW87fRnyWroQ8X0QbWZ_2Kkbin&usqp=CAU.jpg

A $17 stockman's cane from Coastal Hdwe is perfect. It's long enough to cut down as req'd and solid enough to jab or strike.
A crook cane is legal (you can even get a prescription, just in case) which is not a trivial consideration.
Pushing somebody back with a cane is a lot lower on the continuum of force than a strike or deploying a piece.
There are a number of good videos showing techniques for using the cane for SD.
If it really does get down and nasty a full power blow from a cane is a formidable strike, and may be just what you need to gain time to draw your sidearm. The crook can be used to take out a knee or a neck.
If you really do need a walking aid that collapsing baton won't help.

I have a sword cane, but it is illegal to carry almost everywhere.

My walking cane is the aluminum tube kind with an L shaped crook. Better than nothing, but mostly for walking. I have it in the car for those times my knees/ankles or back goes out unexpectedly - especially if I have car problems or I need to walk any distance. It is light and collapsible, so if I had to walk home or somewhere after car problems, I could just carry it strapped to my GHB.

I have a heavy CS poly type walking stick that looks/feels like it is unbreakable.

Watched a lot of this channel, and what he says makes sense. Does not all relate to your dog prevention scenario, but food for thought. Here is an alternative to an expanding baton if a walking stick is not feasible.

PS - My sympathy to any LE ... wow ... just wow one of the other hazards of the job I didnt want to know!

Watched a lot of this channel, and what he says makes sense. Does not all relate to your dog prevention scenario, but food for thought. Here is an alternative to an expanding baton if a walking stick is not feasible.

PS - My sympathy to any LE ... wow ... just wow one of the other hazards of the job I didnt want to know!

Meh, a whip might be just the ticket for an aggresive dog honestly. It was mentioned above as well.

I like Shambok's.

I have one and think not only is it a good self defense CQC weapon it would make a terrific decorator item 'bettererin' anything ikea can come up with...

So after a recent dog incident in the neighborhood, I purchased a 26" expandable baton as an alternative to using a gun and to supplement the liberal use of pepper spray.

It was totally a impulse buy, but now that I have it and have been beating on the heavy bag with it, I am really impressed and pretty curious about other uses for it, specifically to carry as a replacement for a firearm in a non permissive or non legal environment like work or California.

So my understanding of its various uses is as follows:

Level 0: create space by pushing away with tip of the baton, or even hammer fisted blow with the butt.

Level 1: strikes to broad meaty areas like the thigh and gut for pain compliance (this doesn't really apply to me)

Level 2: strikes to joints and arms, knees etc will cause possible permenant damage and hopefully take someone out of the fight.

Level 3: strikes to neck or head might be fatal and should be considered lethal force.

Is this accurate or just legal training CYA stuff? If all I have is a baton, and I am trying to defend myself from someone using lethal force such a knife or gun, will a strike to the head actually knock them out or kill them?

Would a strike to their forearm break bone or just hurt?

NOT asking for legal advice, just wondering how effective these things are if needed.

As with most things, the effectiveness of the tool is dependent upon the training of the user. In my Academy training, our defensive tactics instructor (56 years old, glasses, about 25 lbs overweight) chose the youngest, tallest and toughest appearing Action Man clone as his demo victim and then spent 5 minutes herding him around the gym with a rolled up newspaper, finally ending the demonstration by toppling the 'perp', with the newspaper, and cuffing him. That's right, a rolled up newspaper. One gets proficient at these activities by practice, practice and practice... not by watching videos and reading magazines, As with anything worthwhile you need to spend the time and the money it takes to learn.

I use a good heavy steal backed leather gun belt, with heavy riveted buckle and hardware, works like a sap, but is 100% legal. gives you more reach, and can also be used to block incoming strikes! You can buy these, but I made my own, so I could get more weight near the tag end! :cool:
I also use a good heavy dog leash, nobody can say a word about that, especially when I'm walking one of my goofy monsters! You do not want to get hit with ether, they will break skin easy!

I use a good heavy steal backed leather gun belt, with heavy riveted buckle and hardware, works like a sap, but is 100% legal. gives you more reach, and can also be used to block incoming strikes! You can buy these, but I made my own, so I could get more weight near the tag end! :cool:

Doesn't you pistol fall on the ground when you whip out your belt?

Canes are good if you know how to use it and utilize the hook. I took a guy down once by threating the face and immediately going to his lead leg with a hard shot and then hooking and pulling his leg forward and upward.

Speaking of batons...

One of my students was in the Guard back East and found a bunch of these in a dumpster when some warehouse was being cleaned out. He gave me a few of them, obviously they had been around for a while. The hexagon ones are interesting though a little unwieldy. Just sharing since they seem a little unusual.

Q.

Batons.png

Should have included this in my original post. Was given the opportunity to qualify with a collapsible baton, said no thank you. Carried the PR 24 from about 1985 until retirement in 2006 and then 4 more years working as a retired state annuitant for Calif Exposition and State Fair Police.

I've trained with Philippine fighting sticks (Escrima) and often wondered how well two asp batons would translate to escrima strike techniques. I don't know that they would be good for disarms or joint locks, but I would think that for dual striking and defense they'd be great (if not too heavy).
As for lethality, I would say most certainly that a head strike would be fatal, or damned close to it. The ball at the end amplifies the force at the point of impact, particularly if the wielder knows how to snap their wrist when striking.

For you PR-24 fans, this is a good deal:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads