JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you stab someone in the eye hard enough that it goes into the brain it might have some value.
I don't have much faith in light little impact devices having seen many times what it takes to actually stop someone intent on doing harm.

A Sheriff's deputy I know, a one time cigar smoking buddy, (I don't smoke cigars any longer so I don't see him any longer) swore by wooden batons.

Said 'Asps' weren't nearly as effective...

The OSP trained us in arrest techniques. Handcuffs/etc. - also batons. They liked the wooden ones - a friend of mine gave me one. We trained with the plastic tubes that florescent light tubes came in - training with the wooden batons would cause too many injuries. Even with just a light plastic tube, properly used, it stung enough to make most people drop their training knife (rubber IIRC).

The technique was to not swing your arm, but use your wrist and the tip of the baton. It was very effective IMO and IME (in practice). You hold the baton in front of you and instead of swinging it, you twist your wrist and strike with the tip of the baton - striking a joint, the wrist, elbow, shoulder or knee. Even with the plastic tubes, it hurts - with a wood or metal baton - I imagine a lot more.

One of the benefits is speed. Another is you can hold the baton such that you can block blows. When used properly, you are less likely to cause broken bones. Finally, you don't wind up on the front page like this:

jombj6RM_EM24_bKRLWGpXzhnErCXwLeJGgq29dsjb0.jpg

Notice how open he is to a counter attack?

Does this look like he is defending himself or is he being aggressive and attacking the other person?

The OSP trained us in arrest techniques. Handcuffs/etc. - also batons. They liked the wooden ones - a friend of mine gave me one. We trained with the plastic tubes that florescent light tubes came in - training with the wooden batons would cause too many injuries. Even with just a light plastic tube, properly used, it stung enough to make most people drop their training knife (rubber IIRC).

The technique was to not swing your arm, but use your wrist and the tip of the baton. It was very effective IMO and IME (in practice). You hold the baton in front of you and instead of swinging it, you twist your wrist and strike with the tip of the baton - striking a joint, the wrist, elbow, shoulder or knee. Even with the plastic tubes, it hurts - with a wood or metal baton - I imagine a lot more.

One of the benefits is speed. Another is you can hold the baton such that you can block blows. When used properly, you are less likely to cause broken bones. Finally, you don't wind up on the front page like this:

View attachment 708758

Notice how open he is to a counter attack?

Does this look like he is defending himself or is he being aggressive and attacking the other person?
Dude looks like he's a walking war-crime. He's got at least 6" in height on...her? we'll go with her. She does not appear to be armed, or in any way threatening to him. Maybe she's got 10lbs of C4 hiding under her shirt for all we know. He's ready to club her like a baby seal, and yep, he's way open to counter, and were he facing someone with training, they could deflect the blow and counter easily. His legs are open to attack, and a trained person could readily take him to the ground and gain a dominant position. Of course the other shield & batt wielding cops may have something to say about that, but Clubby McWarcrime could be dead before his would-be victim IF he was facing a trained, semi athletic person, and not a 95lb shrieking woman with no muscle mass.

Thanks everyone! I kinda figured the stories online of it breaking bones amd such were BS, just based on common sense, but wasn't sure.

I am sure it will be effective on a medium sized dog if needed. o_O

Walking stick is hard to carry when running.

Why would a walking stick be hard to carry when running?
We used to run with M-14 rifles back in the day... :s0042:

:s0114:

I'm not a big fan, but I do use mine to sift through dirty laundry during searches.

Also for that 15mm socket that rolls to the dead center of your car.

I have one that I got for the exact same reason after a few dog incidents. It was just to much of a pain in the butt to carry. It also seems like the offending dog is either to small to use it on, or too big. Last incident I had - a huge German shepherd broke it's cheap chain collar and tried to attack my little aussie. I had to pick her up and ended up getting bit in the ear because she was so panicked. I was super pissed to say the least.

A sjambok is lightweight, will inflict when used, but is light enough to probably not break bones.

It cannot be used as a walking stick though - it bends too easily. It also cannot be used like a walking stick where you poke at something - again, it bends too easily. It is like a short whip. It is used in Africa and Asia for dealing with animals and in riot control.

A heavy stiff baton can break bones - especially if you whale away on some, more so if you hit them between the joints.

I went through a 3-day course with John G Peters back in the 90's (I think.....) while in the Coast Guard on defensive tactics which primarily was the use of the ASP. We trained with foam rubber ones and when striking in the right spots, (like @The Heretic mentioned) it hurt quite a bit, so getting hit with steel is going to leave a mark. They are easy to carry while collapsed without sticking out like a sore thumb and can be expanded in a second or less. I think it's a great form of non-lethal protection (just don't aim for the head or it becomes lethal force). I keep mine in my truck door pocket at all times.

The point of the ASP is that's it's concealable or compact enough to collapse and fit on your duty belt. Is it effective...yes, is a longer baton more effective yes, but much less concealable.

For dogs, just carry a small, plastic jar of peanut butter. Dogs, like many animals are singularly focused but easily distracted unless under direct command of a handler. They can react to force with greater force. Plus, it takes them forever to get that stuff off their tongues. :s0140:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top