JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It might seem like a silly question but I'm genuinely curious... how do you open carry in the winter if you are wearing six layers of clothing? Do you have to strap a holster on over your heavy coat or parka? Does the gun have to be visible at all times to be considered open carry? Would covering it with a jacket (without having a CHL) get you into hot water?

I'm not planning to actually do this, I was just wondering how it might work.

Thanks!

Amy

Open carry in the winter is a pain in the butt!! If you have it on your waist you need to keep your coat tucked in behind your pistol, It's not easy!!!

The instant your coat covers your pistol it is "concealed".

if the gun is covered at all its considered concealed, so with out a CHL you could get into some bad doo doo... like everyone else will tell you, your better to get your CHL and then Open Carry. and if you happen to cover it up then who cares.. as for the winter... its a tough call.. if your like most women i know.. you dont have much of an option for a place to OC on your person, since you have about 300 different jackets ok:p

The way it was explained to me by the Portland city attorney was "it's not considered concealed as long as some part of it is visible in a cusory walk around person".

It seems to me I went looking for the offical statute that uses those terms and couldn't find it. I believe this has been defined in case law but again I can't cite a source other than 'as I was told by the city attorney'.

Maybe this would be a good time to use a drop leg :)

I OWB carry but it does get covered by a coat in our winter.
I agree that it is easiest to just get the Concealed permit and you are covered.
I really don't like my gun to dangle out in our wet stuff any more than necessary.
Dave:)

In the winter if I put on a coat then I am concealed. I have both a CPL and CHL for each state. I generally just go about my normal life and not worry about how I dress anymore. If I take the coat or jacket off then it will be open again.

Fortunately we live in a fairly mild climate and wearing a long sleeve shirt and/or sweater usually suffices.

I have kept my eyes open for an owb for my xd for thus very reason. Going to start some oc'ing this winter.

Since I can conceal carry it don't matter how I wear it or what is covering it.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top