JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
In the Arming Our Neighbors thread, someone pointed out that giving a weaon to a neighbor would be in violation of 'the law'?

Which got me thinking.

The earliest gun I own is a Remington 512 Sportsmaster that was obsolete according to Remington when I received it. In fact, I was cleaning it this weekend and took off the butt plate and showed my wife where an 11 year old kid had written a "Property of"...... message on a torn off piece of notebook paper. It had been in the stock since 1977, when I wrote it and hid it there.

I bought my most recent gun within the past two years, from a retailer.

But if I cannot GIVE a gun to a neighbor during the tribulation, I wonder about inheritance?

I had always just assumed that I would split them with my brother when the time came.

Don't want anyone to think I have run out of ignorant questions just yet!

Thanks,

Chris

I think...therefore someone , more than likely me , is in trouble...

That immediate family may inherit a firearm without going thru a FFL dealer / BGC....under current Washington law...
But there is that pesky word "think" in this answer...:D
Andy

Add to Andy's post.......

As long as the person to receive the firearm is NOT known to be a prohibited person. So, assuming you know the RECORDS of your own son, daughter, wife (and I think the statute may allow for more people).......you could.

But.......

Don't forget about a possible CIVIL LIABILITY action. If that firearm is later used to ________.

Yup....imagine that you're the executor of an estate and are put into the position of distributing the estate. Do you take a chance on giving that firearm to that long lost relative who you might not REALLY KNOW all that well w/o an FFL involved and no BGC?

The above post is NOT legal advice. As always.....laws vary from state to state and things may/might change. So, it's best to to research the subject and/or seek the advice of your lawyer.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Kermit.jpg

Yup....imagine that you're the executor of an estate and are put into the position of distributing the estate. Do you take a chance on giving that firearm to that long lost relative who you might not REALLY KNOW all that well w/o an FFL involved and no BGC?

A 'long lost' relative? No, I'd personally do an FFL transfer just on principle no matter what the law says.

I was going to say that we're overthinking it a little bit, but if OP is in Washington they actually do have pistol registration.

According to popular theory, we are all descended from a small group of surviving hominids. Some time after the last mass extinction event.Therefore we all must be family.

but honestly, the system's so screwed up the authorities have no clue UNLESS YOU TELL THEM.

Last Edited:
I've specifically made a deal with a group of pirates to make them all vanish in a horrible boating accident. :eek::D
Why do you need pirates? As best I can tell, from reading this forum, us gun owners are experts at losing our guns in bodies of water with no need for assistance from pirates. In fact, every time I'm near a river, I keep a suspicious eye on it, lest it rise up behind my back and send a wave to wash over me and abscond with my gun. I'm even careful about mud puddles. I figure those slippery devils are just waiting for an opportunity to trip me up and glob all over my gun.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top