JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been wanting to try a gun purchase at one of the online retailers, but don't know how it works going through an ffl. I've heard Kieths charges a reasonable price to do the job, $20+ BGC if I heard right. I'm hesitant at this point to call Kieths knowing they may not answer the phone at all, and I also know Kieths isn't the best place to have chit-chat with, ESPECIALLY if you are not handing money to them at the time. I was looking at an on-line gun store and clicked the "Find an FFL in your area" and I didn't recognize even one of their pre approved FFLs from a 25 mile radius of my zip code. Oh, Hawkers Locker was on the list....Of only eight I think, and several of the addresses on their list seemed to be in residential areas.

I shop at Fisherman's on a fairly regular basis but they don't do FFL transfers any more due to the hassle.

I'm in NE PDX just south of the airport.

Suggestions?

Mike

I used Roger Meyer RM sports, he's listed on gunbroker and really close to you, 40th between Prescott and Skidmore. $25 plus $10 NICS and he handled it really professionally

Don't discount the little residential guys. There are a lot of guys who found their gun show hobby was getting out of hand and got an FFl to start working estate sales and such. Many offer fine paperwork services for mail order guns. I used the FFL search on gunbroker and was highly pleased. The "shop" was clearly just a guy's house.

Thanks for the input and recomendations guys. What I mostly wanted was how to go about it....Do I call the FFL and get their info and give it to, let's say Gun Broker.com for them to confirm a legal sale can take place with my choice of FFL? Do I make the deal and pay Gun Broker, and THEN call the FFL?

That's my confusion.

I used Roger Meyer RM sports, he's listed on gunbroker and really close to you, 40th between Prescott and Skidmore. $25 plus $10 NICS and he handled it really professionally

You're right, he's very close.

Simonpie, thanks for that, makes good sense. All the FFLs that came up on the search from the online gun store said "Un Rated", including the Roger Meyer RM Sports. You know how we value our ratings on NWFA, the unrated part gave me pause.

Normally you would call or visit the FFL explain that you are buying/ordering/receiving a firearm from dealer XYZ or person X and you would like them to handle the transfer. If your getting the firearm from a dealer then you will need their FAX number so you FFL can FAX his License to them. If your recieving from a private person you will need their name and address (be sure to tell the seller to include a photo copy of their Drivers Licenses in the package so the FFL knows who they are dealing with for their books).

Once this is done the seller ships the firearm. When it arrives the FFL will unpack it Log it into their book and contact you to pickup. At pickup you will go through the std. Background Check, pay the FFL for the transfer and the BGC. and leave a happy camper.

If there is a problem with the firearm (not what advertized, damaged, inoperable etc.) your going to be dealing directly with the seller the FFL on your end is only the records keeper in the deal.

I personally use WILD BILLS GUNS in Mollala they charge 20 bucks + 10 and are a pleasure to deal with.

Good luck hope I laid out the process for you as I have experianced it 5 times now.

BINGO Mark! That is what I was looking for. I wasn't sure if there was a time limit or something between the "I'll take one" from the online store, and when the FFL proves he's ligit. As Roger65 says RM sports is good people so I should just call him, his phone # was listed by....(Forgot the name of the online store now.) I had googled an EAA/Tangfolio.

Question: Once the the on-line retailer receives confirmation from my FFL does the retailer keep my FFL in their system so subsequent purchases go smoother? Dealing with an FFL that's about 20 blocks from me would be a good thing.

Anyway, thanks Mark!

Just to clarify, I'm not Roger Meyer. Just a coincidence we have the same first name. Anyways, I was a noob myself but Roger took the time to answer all of my questions, the same ones you had. I bought a G39 off Gunbroker and had it in my hands in about a week.

As far as the time limits go, on Gunbroker they say you have five days to contact each other (buyer and seller) and 14 days to get a copy of the FFL to seller. At the end of the auction Gunbroker provides a seller contact page, which you forward to your FFL. Then the FFL mails or faxes a copy of his license to the seller.That whole part took only two days in my case. Then you pay for the gun and the seller ships, typically priority mail if they are an FFL, and FeDex/UPS overnight if a private party. That takes two or three days if you paid by credit card, then you just go to the FFL's place and do the NICS and bring home your gun.

Last Edited:
I didn't think you were the RM Roger. LOL On your word though, I'll give the guy a call, and then put in for the gun I'm wanting.

Thanks for that explanation Roger.

Glad to be of what help I could. I have not bought through a Gun Broker or other on line auction site yet (not for not trying) or I would have added that. SO I too learned from Roger65's experiance. Thanks

Thanks to you as well Mark, I learned a few things from your post, especially about dealing with a private party. Buying a gun online can be intimidating, especially since you have an extra step (FFL) where something could go wrong or get lost. This was my first one and it went smoothly.

Thank you, Mike, for asking this question. I am getting ready to do the same thing. I have a very good friend who is a dealer/gunsmith in Vegas and just realized today that I will be driving through Vegas twice next month, so I'm going to do the same. Going to give him a ring tomorrow.

The whole thing sounds pretty easy and safe to me, sort of exciting too.......I find a site that i'll put myself in for a notification when the gun comes in. In a week or a month, get the e-mail that they've got it and proceed! It probably won't work quite that good but we'll see.

Going to the gun shops around PDX has become a MAJOR drag, need to swing by Kieths at opening, on a week day and spend 2 1/2 minutes, if I can get that, and see if they can help me.

Man, I wish this crap would end. I miss going to a gun show a couple times a year, and once a month or so dropping in to a local store to fondle and see what's new. THANKFULLY I still have components!

Another thing to note I left out of my first post. More then a few FFL's will not accept a firearm from a private party. Be sure you know this about your FFL prior to making the deal. And don't get bent when they call you to come pick it up and its been opened and handed around. They have to log it into their books before anything else can happen.

Now I have ordered a new firearm through a dealer and when I go to pick it up had full inspection rights and in fact sent a rifle back once for having a serious gouge taken out of the barrel in a very noticable place. The replacement came in with a couple fine scratches on the top of the receiver and the FFL almost wouldn't let me keep it he was so mad at the distributor for not making sure the replacement was perfect. Since I had planned on attaching a large rail to the top of the receiver it didn't matter to me.

The local guys want to do well by you. Your their bread and butter.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top