JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As my collection grows (7 long guns now), I am finding it more of a pain shuffling everything around to get what I want into cases to take to the range. I currently have 3 of the cheapo hard cases that you can get at bi-mart, and I am also using them for storage in my secret hidey spot. Every time we go out, I have to pull all the cases out, pull all the guns out, and try to cram them into as few cases as I can.
So what do you do?
I've also been thinking about getting some instrument cases but where can I buy a cheap instrument case (short of buying an instrument with it just to sell the instrument and keep the case):confused:
I also just purchased a sterling SMG and don't have a place to put it (it's too goofy shaped to fit in the flat cases).
I'm thinking about getting some duffel bags and partitioning them out with foam so I have a bit more flexibility, and so I can be a bit more subtle transporting them from the house to the car. Has anyone tried this? Pictures?

At home, if not in my immediate control, all firearms are locked in one of 3 safes (not cheap cabinets). When I go somewhere and want to take gun/s other than my carry gun, I usually just put them in the back of my Forester. Sometimes in a cheap plastic rifle or double pistol case from Bi-Mart, or I have all of the cases the pistols came in. Sometimes, with long guns, I may wrap them in an old blanket or large towel.

You mention instrument cases. I'm not sure what kind of instrument cases you mean, but a couple years ago I discovered that my Bushmaster MX-15 fits nicely into what is known as a guitar "gig bag." In that bag, I can walk or ride down the street in the city of Portland, armed with an AR-15 + my carry gun and to the casual observer, including police officers, I look like a guy with a guitar. I chose the model for an electric guitar, which has a lower profile, and made a lining out of Fred Meyer foam rubber padding, to prevent "printing" of the rifle. The "gig bag" has external pockets which hold two 30 round magazines each, and shoulder straps to carry like a back pack. The "gig bag" cost $14.00 a couple of years ago, on the Internet, and the foam was about $5.00 or so. I also discovered that my Mini-14 with folding stock fits nicely as well.

HopeChange002.jpg

Mine are stored in silicone socks in the safe. If I'm going to the range they just stay in the socks. If they will be rattling around some then I go with soft cases. None of my neighbors are bothered by the sound of gunfire or the sight of guns.

Thanks for the ideas.. I'm mostly concerned with keeping my neighbors oblivious (I really don't trust them). Also my jeep doesn't have a back seat or carpet, so I don't really want to just toss guns back there.
As far as socks go, I thought I had heard they were not a good idea for long term.. That they trap moisture against the metal or something. Anyone know about that first hand?

Thanks for the ideas.. I'm mostly concerned with keeping my neighbors oblivious (I really don't trust them). Also my jeep doesn't have a back seat or carpet, so I don't really want to just toss guns back there.
As far as socks go, I thought I had heard they were not a good idea for long term.. That they trap moisture against the metal or something. Anyone know about that first hand?

The silicone treated socks are great.They don't hold moisture

I use "Bore Stores".They are silocone treated fleece socks.Way thicker than the little ones you get around here.Cabella's caries some sizes.

I live in an RV,so a safe isn't in the picture.I have made storage for the guns and have a safe heater by them, too.
And they live in the Bore Stores.

But I had three of them at my sister's for 3 years.Under a bed,in the bore stores.And no rust at all.
Now these are OLD guns.One is a 1900's 410,a 50+yo mdl 94 and a perfect '70 Ithaca.

As far as the neighbors seeing the guns,carry them in some coats or blankets,when you go to the car.
I used to put a coat with a hood on my guns,so it looked like I was taking a coat out of the truck.

Wonder what they thought when I took the same coat out of the truck 4 times?

Moisture is most often caused by soft sided, padded rifle cases. I had one rifle rusted several years ago in one of those and haven't used one since. I have some Cabela's rifle socks and they don't retain moisture because they are very porous.

I just use a range bag for transporting handguns or short guns (should fit your sterling with the stock folded). They are subtle enough that most non-shooters wouldn't give it a second glance, provided it doesn't have some big well-known gunmaker logo written across it.
Midway is having a sale on them now (link on the homepage). I got one of their bags, it's nicely padded and holds several handgun cases and the PLR-16, along with ammo, mags, hearing protection, etc.

Here is the easiest way :D:D:D

ZOMG-1.jpg

I like the diet coke chest rig. Might have to try that :s0112:

I picked up a hard sided 'electronics' case from Harbor Freight for like $18. It comes with pre cut 1/2" foam squares. I punched them out in the shape of my guns and has a nice area for mags, snap caps etc. I can get 4 full size handguns in it easily.

i don't own cases for any of my guns.. they get cleared, tucked under my arm, and tossed into the back. i do have a spot for my 10.5 in my giant "range box," but it generally gets even more banged up in there than the other guns do sliding around my back seat, with tools and ammo cans crashing into it.

if you own some antique wood rifles or otherwise collector grade guns, pelican cases are the only way to go. but if not, cases are for wimps.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top