JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just switched from a Lee Classic Turret to the Lee Auto Breech Lock Pro. I only reload 9mm and I'm using Lee dies. I'm using plated Xtreme 115 grain bullets.

As I am setting up and adjusting the case expanding die (with the Lee Auto Disk Powder and Lee Auto Disk Riser attached), the cases keep coming out over flared or expanded. As a result, the bullets will not seat but will slip all the way inside the case. I rotated the die counter-clockwise to decrease the flaring but it does not work!!??!! I've been trying to stop the over-flaring for a week now.

This is driving me insane, as I feel like I am missing that simple something that would correct all of this. I did not have this problem with the turret; and it's the same die. What am I missing? I don't even know if those of you reading this can understand or offer a solution, but this makes me throw all of these Lee products in the garbage and just spend the money I don't have and buy a Dillion. Of course I'm sure that machine also requires some adjustments. But stopping this Lee die from over-flaring should not be this difficult and should be doable.

Any of you veterans who may be able to help, I would appreciate it and thank you. Hopefully someone else has had this problem. I do feel like a complete idiot and am enormously frustrated. I didn't know where else to turn to. I guess I can call Lee tomorrow morning. Anyways, thanks for hearing me vent and thanks for your replies in advance.

so from what i understand, your powder through die also expands the case mouth as it activates the powder drop. i have the same type of setup using a hornady case activated powder drop but instead of using the 9mm powder through bushing that also flares the case i just use a regular bushing and use a regular expander die as my second stage.

in my press for pistol it goes: deprime/resize, new primer and expand, powder, powder comparator, and then bullet seater

Raise your expander/powder through die.

The issue is when the powder drop hits max lift, the case is still coming up.

Unscrew a full turn on the expander and see where it sits. Even if you use the same location on the turret head for difference presses, the distances will be different.

===

Edit:
I know exactly what is happening. I've ran cases up so far on accident that I've made them look like the damn liberty bell. Not sure how I managed to get the case out of the expander die but it came out. Azaleas were not as flared as some oops brass pieces.

Don't assume the expander die nut position from the TURRET setup will work in the ABLP press!!!
You have the powder thru the expander die screwed into the ABLP press way to far.
The die plate on the TURRET press is way thicker than the Auto Breech Lock Pro die plate.
So if you just removed the die from the TURRET press and screwed it into the ABLP press, all the way in until the nut touched, with that nut in same position as the turret press, IT'S screwed in WAY TOO far.
Die set-up instructions came with dies refer to them and start over with the powder thru the expander die, or download the instructions at the Lee website.

You'll need to have the riser screwed onto the top of the die as it provides a positive stop for the expander but don't need the powder measure.

Back the die way out, put an UNSIZED case in the shell plate and bring it up all the way under the backed off die.
Now with the shell plate/ram up and an UNSIZED (as fired) case under the expander die screw it in until you feel some resistance.

Because the case is NOT sized that 1st resistance is the case mouth touching the flare angle of the expander.
Drop the ram a little and screw in the die 1/4 turn, return the ram to the top again, then lower it enough to view/check the case mouth for a proper flare, but NOT index.

If you want more flare screw the die in another 1/8-1/4 turn and run the ram up again to re-flare the same case, and repeat as needed to get a flare you like.
Run that case back into the die to hold it in position while you hand tighten the nut to the breech lock bushing/die plate.
Test the flare again, with a sized case this time, and adjust accordingly.
whew,
good luck,
:D

Last Edited:
Thank you to all of you who replied!!!!! Especially Tilos with that detailed insight. I know this is not the sexiest, most interesting question but I was hoping for at least a reply or two and I got it.

I have not yet tried your suggestion yet; with work and family and frankly the frustration I've experienced, I'm gathering the energy to go back. Reloading has been my refuge from the world; I'm really looking forward to stopping this over-flaring so that I can get going in this wonderful hobby. Thank you all again.

Thank you to all of you who replied!!!!! Especially Tilos with that detailed insight. I know this is not the sexiest, most interesting question but I was hoping for at least a reply or two and I got it.

I have not yet tried your suggestion yet; with work and family and frankly the frustration I've experienced, I'm gathering the energy to go back. Reloading has been my refuge from the world; I'm really looking forward to stopping this over-flaring so that I can get going in this wonderful hobby. Thank you all again.
Sometimes walking away from it for awhile is the best solution.
works for me,

9mm guy:
any updateso_O

Haven't had the energy or chance due to work and family. But I will this weekend & report back.

By the way, I appreciate you & others checking on me. Living in the Portland area, I'm pretty isolated in terms of friends who are into firearms let alone reloading. This forum and website have been invaluable in terms of resource, fellowship, & mentorship. Having a problem in isolation is the worst. Thanks to this site, I don't feel that as much.

OK, overall bad news. I apologize in advance for the the venting that I'll be doing here.

In terms of stopping the over-flaring, nothing changed despite the great suggestions by the people on this forum. I started to think about how strange this was, especially since there were no issues with this same die before on my turret. To be clear so far, I had been just placing one casing in the shell plate underneath the expander die with the over-flared results. And so I started to think that maybe just doing the expander die in isloation was the problem. Why I don't know, I was out of answers and was ready to try anything at this point.

Therefore, I made the basic adjustment to the expander die, set up the rest of the dies, and just started reloading using all four dies. I have no idea why, but this seem to do the trick and the over-flaring seem to stop. Hallelujah, or so I thought.

The one thing I didn't say before is that I have my Lee Auto Breech Lock Pro set up using the Hornady Bullet Feeder die. This die seemed to work just fine before I had this over-flaring problem. But now since that problem's been corrected, the bullet feeder die decided not to work right after the over-flaring got corrected. This die just stopped feeding bullets. I tried taking it apart and putting it back together, I tried adjusting the die depth and tension,.... I tried so many things that I am beyond frustrated.

Honestly, I am so frustrated that I wish I can shoot and destroy all my reloading equipment with my shotgun and then throw them into a melting pit. I really don't know what the problem is. Please excuse my venting. I feel like just selling all my equipment and maybe getting a completely different brand. That's going to suck since I just bought this stuff and I'll be taking a huge financial loss. Arrrrgh!!!??!!!! So much for reloading saving myself and my family money. Maybe this is just my emotions talking. I'm really at a loss on what to think or do.

Despite my volcanic anger, I am grateful for all of you who read and posted replies. As I said, I wish I could buy all of you beers for trying to help me. It's scary to be an isolated beginner at this stuff and I am so thankful to all of you. Any comments or suggestions is welcome.

Ugh, sorry @9mm guy
When you regain composure, send us a photo of the case flaring. I'm curious how much it was happening.

You aren't alone. We've all been there at one point or another.

Ugh, sorry @9mm guy
When you regain composure, send us a photo of the case flaring. I'm curious how much it was happening.

You aren't alone. We've all been there at one point or another.

Thanks so much, I appreciate your words and post, really.

The over-flaring seem to have stopped when I started using all 4 dies. However, it is the Hornady Bullet Feeder die that's now stopped working. I will do another posting to see if people have had trouble with this damned thing.

I'm also going to see if Midway USA will send a replacement, presuming that the die doesn't work anymore. Otherwise, I think I may just started selling off the whole thing and maybe save up for a different brand of press. Anyways, thanks again. I'm calming down now. In the bigger scheme, there are worse things in life. I'll get over it. I'll hopefully look forward to some new equipment.

Haven't had the energy or chance due to work and family. But I will this weekend & report back.

By the way, I appreciate you & others checking on me. Living in the Portland area, I'm pretty isolated in terms of friends who are into firearms let alone reloading. This forum and website have been invaluable in terms of resource, fellowship, & mentorship. Having a problem in isolation is the worst. Thanks to this site, I don't feel that as much.

Your not the only island in a sea of 2A confused sheepeople in P town.

Reading through the thread great suggestions. Have you reached out to the manufacturer's directly for support as well? Hornady probably is happy to support their feeder system. They are on Central time so little easier to try to get a support call in the AM as long as one is not starting work at 6AM our time as that's when they open.

Good thoughts on Midway too, if that is where you bought your gear. I would be surprised if they did not have a few experienced support people that load themselves available to help out or as you say ship out a replacement part that is needed. However I would go manufacturer first.

I dont think its the brand of bullet feeder. I have to basically come up with a custom set up for every different projectile I run through mine on my press. Tricking the flip system, feed springs and getting the dropper to reset each time.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top