JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You're asleep, you hear a bump. Your adrenaline kicks in as you wake up, you reach for your gun, you get up ready to defend life and limb... then you discharge your weapon "accidentally" because you were still half asleep.

Seen it happen before, will happen again. Most the time there wasn't even a threat. Give yourself 2 steps to gain your surroundings before hand touches steel.

You're asleep, you hear a bump. You wake up to see two guys standing over your bed where you and your wife are sleeping. You get up to take a couple of steps to get your gun and the next thing you know you're sitting on a cloud playing a harp.

Actually, I have special lighting, two dogs, and an alarm system etc. and that scenario isn't likely to happen to me, so that and your comments are probably the way to go. :s0155:

You're asleep, you hear a bump. Your adrenaline kicks in as you wake up, you reach for your gun, you get up ready to defend life and limb... then you discharge your weapon "accidentally" because you were still half asleep.

Seen it happen before, will happen again. Most the time there wasn't even a threat. Give yourself 2 steps to gain your surroundings before hand touches steel.

+ makes it a little more difficult to sleepshoot

I ware my "Tactical" PJs so i'm always ready for any situation

For the record, the sleeping naked part, although true, is just made to be funny. I sleep with my Glock 19 with 15 115gr JHP in the magazine and 1 in the chamber ready to go in between the 2 layers of mattress. I also keep my 870 under the bed with 6 rounds 00 in the magazine and 1 in the chamber ready to go.

Luckily for me, I don't have to worry about that. I have a Glock, so my hand never touches steel, it just touches polymer :p
You're asleep, you hear a bump. You wake up to see two guys standing over your bed where you and your wife are sleeping. You get up to take a couple of steps to get your gun and the next thing you know you're sitting on a cloud playing a harp.

Actually, I have special lighting, two dogs, and an alarm system etc. and that scenario isn't likely to happen to me, so that and your comments are probably the way to go. :s0155:

Exactly, what do you do when that worst case scenario happens, where they don't break down the door or break a window, but they pick the lock or cut the window, enter silently and are in your room without warning until you hear them too close? Having to reach and load your gun is too many steps in that scenario, just having to grab wherever it is even with it ready to fire might not even be enough time. But in a situation where milliseconds count, I won't trust my gun being seconds away from use.

If I do have time for that, I'm grabbing my shotgun from under the bed and handing my handgun off to my wife while she calls 911.

A man's got to know his limitations. :s0131:

I lock my door at night, I suppose I would kill anybody that went through the locked door.:s0155:

The creepy young Jerry Garcia look alike would be very disturbing.

The hot blonde with the H&K UMP is pleasant to look at.

I would rather fight Jerry instead of the blonde as I would not be as distracted fighting Jerry.

I lock my door at night, I suppose I would kill anybody that went through the locked door.:s0155:

The creepy young Jerry Garcia look alike would be very disturbing.

The hot blonde with the H&K UMP is pleasant to look at.

I would rather fight Jerry instead of the blonde as I would not be as distracted fighting Jerry.

I wouldnt go so far as to say "hot" blond...Maybe an exwife blond, you know the "not a keeper" type? lol She is average at best. 6/10.

I keep my FS2000 on one nightstand and the other has a SPAS 12 and KRISS Super V with light and laser pointed at my locked door and my dog is right outside. Oh I forgot to add my heavy body armor I can throw on in under 30 seconds. A bad guy coming in with a handgun would lose all day long and twice on Sunday.:s0155:

But again this is Oregon...Not Compton, Oakland, Watts, Detroit, etc...

I envy you crosse, I have been using a fan to drown out the snoring of my wife's Boston terrier for years!

twice a month, the trash guy and the recycling guy pick up an hour from each other at 6am and 7am. those days I have a pair of earplugs and my shooting muffs just in case...blocks out more than just a bump in the night, annoying beeping in the morning.

but i have a tiny maltesse dog...darn right yappiest dog that ever lived. but will wake up and cause a commotion at the slightest tremor on the perimeter of the house. I have a P220ST in a wilderness safe packer and a winchester 1300 pump near my bed.

If you don't have time to take 2 steps to grab a gun, you're already screwed ;)

I have a ritual that I prepare most nights before going to bed. I put these Items at the ready. the one pic is what I have in the little black bag for a grab & go situation. Mind you, there are no kids in the house, just me & the wife. I would like to see other peoples set ups, comments, or advise on what to bed down with, when things go bump in the night.

That looks like the Compton, CA setup. :s0131:

Room setup is simple: Maglight on the nightstand, Browning hi-power in the top drawer (decocked with one in the chamber). In the home office, adjacent to the front door, there's a loaded Ruger 10/22 stashed in the 4" space between a bookcase and the wall.

Almost forgot - we also have a shepherd that sleeps at the foot of the bed.

A year ago, the doorbell rang at 3am. We live at the end of a very long secluded driveway. That was no mistaken visitor ... probably some tweaker wanting to see if someone was home. Luckily, I wasn't on the road travelling. By the time I got to the door with my rifle clearly in sight, and the dog growling and hyper alert ... the threat had dispersed. From that night forward, the wife had no issues with loaded firearms in the home.

Before I got a CCL, twenty years ago, I had a Colt's Trooper (4", .357Mag) with tritium sights and a German Shepard with or near me when I went to bed.
For the past twenty years, since I got a CCL, I have a Galco Belt bag with a Walther PPK (.380) with tritium sights, wallet, keys, Minimag flashlight, Victorinox knife and several Siberian Huskies with or near me.

Mossburg 500 at my bedside. Magazine loaded, chamber empty, safety off. I used to sleep with my M&P 40 in holster loaded but found myself waking up to noises (slightest noise wakes me up) and my gun is in my hand (still holstered) before I was really awake. I have kids and couldn't forgive myself if I shot them just because I wasn't awake yet. I need a couple of seconds to make sure that I'm awake!!!

I use 2 motion detecting signal devices. that have 2 separate tones,, so i know where the motion location is ,,and sometimes use 4 seismic detectors, with 4 different signal codes, for location. next 2 the bed i either have the m-4 or the 1911.( hidden,but easily accessable.)
if anything is moving out there ,i know its there before it gets to the house.. once in awhile it ends up being a critter. but i dont mind the occasional false alarm...its not that i'm paranoid,or looking for a confrontation, its just sometimes of interest to know what or who is moving on the property, and either just observe or choose not to.,it makes it easier for me to sleep.as i have a pretty rough time sleeping normally.( I had a home invasion about 15 years ago that pretty much changed the way i think about things, but thats another story all together.)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top