JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I want to sell a rifle but do not want to go through the feds. But what I don't want is to sell it to Joe Blow and then they sell it to Rick, who goes and robs a bank with it. My name was the last run on the serials and the police come talk to me. So... Just a signed bill of sale good enough? Check ID? Suggestions?? How do I propperly post it here?

It's not about the last name on the serial number, guns used in crimes are traced from the factory on down. Your gun will always end up being traced to you, the key is to have the record of who you sold it to. Hopefully it never comes to that, but that is your insurance and more than you are required to do by law. I know this from working in a gun shop, we did ATF traces all the time on guns that had been sold from the shop. We just sent them the info on the buyer and on they went.

Simple bill of sale will suffice, but even it isn't necessary. Gut instinct can go a long ways also, if the person seems sketchy, there is nothing wrong with refusing the sale.
Ive bought and sold my fair share through the boards over the years, 99% being positive transactions...but when the guy shows up in a car with out of state plates and two buddies, well, its time to pack up and say sorry....

also of note, you cannot legally sell a gun to someone in another state with out going through an ffl. So only people with valid OR driver's licenses can purchase a gun privately. I thought you could also call the OSP hotline and see if the guy was good to go and it was free. Not sure though. Any insurance you can get the better. CYA man, CYA.

the feds really dont need to know what we are doing with our firearms. none of their concern, they get a glimpse of what is going on with new gun sales. that is all they need to know:s0096:

you see ads here that require a CPL (WA) or a CWP (OR)and drivers license to be shown. That way you know the person has been OK's by the feds and that it's the correct person. But you still need to go through an FFL to do a cross border transfer, even on a long gun.
That's why I like a WA Arms Collectors membership, everyone that's a member has to have a CPL or background check run to be a member.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
ACSWW member

Meh, I just sell it. Check the driver's license to make sure no felony is happening. If it is a handgun in a non-.22lr caliber maybe make the buyer sign a receipt with the serial # to keep for your records if it concerns you, but it probably doesn't matter much. Seems rather doubtful to me that you would get vanned for having a gun used in a crime registered to you. If you do, any lawyer worth his salt could easily get you off.

Gut instinct can go a long ways also, if the person seems sketchy, there is nothing wrong with refusing the sale.

Good point. Normally when buying I go to the seller's house, but if I am selling I will ask them if they would like ME to bring it to their house - reason being I can see what sort I am selling to. The one and only sale I refused was to a guy who told me he would like to meet in a parking lot. That put me off to begin with but I told him the parking lot I wanted to meet in (daytime and very busy) and he described his vehicle which was a Chevy van and it appeared as though he was living in it. He wanted to buy the gun WAAAAY too quickly and I agreed but told him he would have to follow me to a local gun shop for the transaction to which he denied due to his anti-government rantings about gun rights etc. to which I said see ya.

Public places are always a good start, doesn't need to be a gun store by any means, sell the gun unloaded, carry your own gun if at all possible ( i rec only if you have a valid CHL) and like the others say you can really tell someones character right off, if it feels sketchy it probly is sketchy. And i was under the assumpsion that in oregon you had to do a bill of sale to sell a handgun, is this correct?

Meh, I just sell it. Check the driver's license to make sure no felony is happening. If it is a handgun in a non-.22lr caliber maybe make the buyer sign a receipt with the serial # to keep for your records if it concerns you, but it probably doesn't matter much. Seems rather doubtful to me that you would get vanned for having a gun used in a crime registered to you. If you do, any lawyer worth his salt could easily get you off.

does checking a driver's license keep a felony from happening. Felons can get drivers licenses, in fact they probably have several forged ones!!

And remember the case in TX that just happened: private seller at a gun show sold a gun to an illegal alien that had a valid TX drivers license, the buyer almost immediately handed the handgun to a friend. The seller is doing time for selling to an illegal alien and the straw purchase. The illegal aliens are still in the US and are free.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
SWWAC member

Once you sell it its not your problem any more. You have no responsibility for the actions of others. Check ID, ask if they are a felon who is not allowed to own firearms. If you feel like it ask to see a state concealed carry permit. Thats the end of the due diligence required by law and the extent that you can prevent others from doing crimes with the firearm they purchase from you.

Once you sell it its not your problem any more. You have no responsibility for the actions of others. Check ID, ask if they are a felon who is not allowed to own firearms. If you feel like it ask to see a state concealed carry permit. Thats the end of the due diligence required by law and the extent that you can prevent others from doing crimes with the firearm they purchase from you.

the seller checked the ID, illegal alien had a valid TX license and the seller had no way of knowing the buyer was going to give it to another person. He still got convicted of the crimes - selling to an illegal alien and a straw sale.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
SWWAC member

the seller checked the ID, illegal alien had a valid TX license and the seller had no way of knowing the buyer was going to give it to another person. He still got convicted of the crimes - selling to an illegal alien and a straw sale.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
SWWAC member

You would be mis-informed about that case. The illegal did not have a valid license, negotiated the price and refused to hand over ID. His buddy (who is here legally) handed over his license and purchased the gun. And promptly handed it to the illegal. Most of the sensational media stories were missing this.

Here's the Order from the United States Court for the Western District of Texas of Austin Division of Copeland's Motion to Suppress: <broken link removed>
It turns out Huerta is here legally. He purchased the firearm for Mr. Aviles, who was here illegally, after Aviles negotiated with Mr. Copeland for the price of the gun and showed interest. When asked for ID Aviles refused to show any, so Huerta showed his license so that he could purchase it for Avila. He handed the gun to Avila after purchasing it. It says nothing about Huerta or Aviles being charged. That would be under a different case. The charge is that he knowingly sold a gun to Aviles through Huerta.

If it is an issue for you then put in your add to bring 2 copies of your DL and CCP with you or don't bother.

This will weed out the flakes.

And then do a bill of sale on 1 of them for him and 1 for you
with signatures

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads