JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A NOOB question, but important one, I think.

How do you provide security for yourself in a privately arranged firearm sale? Do you ask for the seller's driver license or concealed permit? Bring somebody along? I just feel a little itchy with the idea of cash on me meeting with a guy (or gal) I don't know that has at least one gun on him/her. Where do you meet? Can't be too public or people might freak yelling about the guys with guns....

I'd like to know how people do this. TIA

Meet in a public place that has good lighting if at night. I ask for there ID and CWP to insure they can legally own the firearms and I fill out a bill of sale that can be found at <broken link removed>. I have never had an issue before. Good luck.

Meet in a public place that has good lighting if at night. I ask for there ID and CWP to insure they can legally own the firearms and I fill out a bill of sale that can be found at <broken link removed>. I have never had an issue before. Good luck.

That's a pretty complete answer. Thanks. I think I'll let my wife know where I'll be as well in case of the rare instance of a bad outcome.

Meet in public parking lot, ask for ID to confirm same state residence, ask for CCW if you wish and complete a bill of sale. The BOS is not necessary but covers you if it is ever used unlawfully. If the person looks shady or refuses to show ID or do BOS just walk or drive away. Just be sure you state in your ad that you will require ID and BOS and that will weed most flakes out.

Bill Of Sale For Firearms.
Buyer certifies that they are not restricted or forbidden by law to own a firearm and buyer states that he/she:
&#8226; Has NEVER been convicted in any court of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding 1 year.
&#8226; Is NOT a fugitive from justice.
&#8226; Is NOT an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance.
&#8226; Has NEVER been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to a mental institution.
&#8226; Is NOT an alien illegally or unlawfully in the United states or an alien admitted to the United states under a nonimmigrant visa.
&#8226; Has NOT been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions.
&#8226; Having been a citizen of the United states, has NEVER renounced his or her citizenship.
&#8226; Is NOT subject to a court order that restrains the person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner or child of such intimate partner.
&#8226; Has NOT been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence
&#8226; CAN lawfully receive, possess, ship, or transport a firearm.
&#8226; Is NOT a person who is under indictment or information for a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding 1 year.
I truthfully state that I AM NOT a person who cannot legally buy, receive, and posses firearms and/or ammunition.
Full Name _________________________________________ Signature _______________________________________
Firearm(s) sold
Make: __________________ Model:_____________ Caliber: ____________ S/N: _______________ Cost: ___________
Make: __________________ Model:_____________ Caliber: ____________ S/N: _______________ Cost: ___________
Buyer Seller
(NAME)
(ADDRESS)
(DL)
(CWL)
(Contact #)
I understand the firearm is sold AS-IS and no warranty has been implied or given. Firearm should be inspected by a
competent gunsmith prior to using. Seller not responsible for any damages incurred or caused by the use of this firearm.
Sale Conditions: _____________________________________________________________________________________
Buyer Signature:_________________________________ Seller Signature:_____________________________________

I think some of the answers are coming from the perspective of the seller. As a buyer, as has been said, meet in public. I also like to make sure they have a good feedback on here, but a lack of feedback doesn't stop me.

Trust your gut.
Remember that you do not have to buy!
If it doesn't feel right do not make the deal.
Despite all of the talk about flakey sellers, and flakey buyers,
you are the person who will be left holding the bag in the end.
It is up to you the buyer to decide if you think the contents of that bag are suspect.
Again, Trust Your Gut.

Good advice and a crackup lol thrown in! Great information on the Bill of Sale links guys. Thanks.

Baada you mention the feedback score is checked. I did a forum search and checked the FAQ section. Can't seem to find out how you get or give feedback, or the criteria. Can you or someone enlighten me?

Good advice and a crackup lol thrown in! Great information on the Bill of Sale links guys. Thanks.

Baada you mention the feedback score is checked. I did a forum search and checked the FAQ section. Can't seem to find out how you get or give feedback, or the criteria. Can you or someone enlighten me?

Click on the user's name and visit their profile. All feedback links - to read and leave are located there ;-)

As public as possible.

Yes carry yourself during the transaction.

Always do a bill of sale to protect your backside more than anything...

And for peace of mind - driver's license AND concealed carry permit.

If it feels at all shady - go through a local FFL and let them handle it...

Meet in public parking lot, ask for ID to confirm same state residence, ask for CCW if you wish and complete a bill of sale. The BOS is not necessary but covers you if it is ever used unlawfully. If the person looks shady or refuses to show ID or do BOS just walk or drive away. Just be sure you state in your ad that you will require ID and BOS and that will weed most flakes out.

Bill Of Sale For Firearms.
Buyer certifies that they are not restricted or forbidden by law to own a firearm and buyer states that he/she:
&#8226; Has NEVER been convicted in any court of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding 1 year.
&#8226; Is NOT a fugitive from justice.
&#8226; Is NOT an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance.
&#8226; Has NEVER been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to a mental institution.
&#8226; Is NOT an alien illegally or unlawfully in the United states or an alien admitted to the United states under a nonimmigrant visa.
&#8226; Has NOT been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions.
&#8226; Having been a citizen of the United states, has NEVER renounced his or her citizenship.
&#8226; Is NOT subject to a court order that restrains the person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner or child of such intimate partner.
&#8226; Has NOT been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence
&#8226; CAN lawfully receive, possess, ship, or transport a firearm.
&#8226; Is NOT a person who is under indictment or information for a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding 1 year.
I truthfully state that I AM NOT a person who cannot legally buy, receive, and posses firearms and/or ammunition.
Full Name _________________________________________ Signature _______________________________________
Firearm(s) sold
Buyer Seller
(NAME)
(ADDRESS)
(DL)
(CWL)
(Contact #)
I understand the firearm is sold AS-IS and no warranty has been implied or given. Firearm should be inspected by a
competent gunsmith prior to using. Seller not responsible for any damages incurred or caused by the use of this firearm.
Sale Conditions: _____________________________________________________________________________________
Buyer Signature:_________________________________ Seller Signature:_____________________________________

And here's that same form (pretty much) in .pdf format: http://r.dyna-biz.com/FIREARM BILL OF SALE.pdf that I have on one of my servers.

8 US Presidents have been NRA members. They are: Ulysses S. Grant,
Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, Dwight D. Eisenhower,
John F. Kennedy, Richard M. Nixon, Ronald Reagan and George Bush.

80 MILLION gun owners didn't shoot anyone today, a few criminals did!!

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Feedback Score" is low by 4, not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
Washington Arms Collector member

I won't buy a gun if the seller won't give me his name and address. It may be legally unnecessary, but I sure would like to have some info to give the police if it turns out my new gun was involved in some recent wrongdoing from the previous owner.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top