JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My walking/self defense stick, a Blackthorne Shillelagh, straight from the ole country. Good for walking or thumpin'

257A6BD8-70EC-40EF-BFF2-070AC79814D0.jpeg

My walking/self defense stick, a Blackthorne Sheileigh, straight from the ole country. Good for walking or thumpin'

View attachment 999349
I got a similar kind I found on the beach in WA. It had yet to become brittle and hollow like most drift wood, but had that very nice thick heavy top end and narrowed pointed end, great for hiking and if need be could second as a medium/heavy club.

Imagine you're out hiking rough terrain, you're alone and a you slip causing rocks to fall. A large rock pins your leg, it's heavy enough that even a very fit man would have difficulty lifting. You're bleeding too, perhaps a broken bone is exposed. I'd sure be happy to have a sturdy walking stick to gain leverage to roll that rock off my ankle or leg. Nature will always win against the man who thinks he doesn't need to adhere to even the smallest of dangers.
Absolutely true, but nature has an an unlimited number of unforeseen circumstances that would be made safer by an unlimited number of different gear items or skills. In this scenario, I will imagine that I was able to hop over the falling rock by grabbing a nearby branch with both my hands free and awkwardly swinging over it, avoiding becoming pinned. That's the kind of thing I'm capable of; something I do all the time when I'm backpacking, hunting, or exploring. I use my hands far too much to have either of them occupied by a walking stick all the time, though I will often grab a stick for stability through specific sections or fords. This is a truth about myself and my body which I have spent thousands of hours learning. If I were a dungeons and dragons character, my best stat would be dexterity, not constitution.

I am not telling anyone not to bring a walking stick; I often recommend them to folks depending on who they are and how they move. What I am saying is that to me, a walking stick is slightly more of a liability than it is a protection. I always favor a tailor-made approach unique to each person. We should all know our strengths and weaknesses so we can bring the gear that accents our strengths and protects our weaknesses. There will come a point where my dexterity and reaction time are not better protection than a walking stick would be, but that point is still ahead of me.

Absolutely true, but nature has an an unlimited number of unforeseen circumstances that would be made safer by an unlimited number of different gear items or skills. In this scenario, I will imagine that I was able to hop over the falling rock by grabbing a nearby branch with both my hands free and awkwardly swinging over it, avoiding becoming pinned. That's the kind of thing I'm capable of; something I do all the time when I'm backpacking, hunting, or exploring. I use my hands far too much to have either of them occupied by a walking stick all the time, though I will often grab a stick for stability through specific sections or fords. This is a truth about myself and my body which I have spent thousands of hours learning. If I were a dungeons and dragons character, my best stat would be dexterity, not constitution.

I am not telling anyone not to bring a walking stick; I often recommend them to folks depending on who they are and how they move. What I am saying is that to me, a walking stick is slightly more of a liability than it is a protection. I always favor a tailor-made approach unique to each person. We should all know our strengths and weaknesses so we can bring the gear that accents our strengths and protects our weaknesses. There will come a point where my dexterity and reaction time are not better protection than a walking stick would be, but that point is still ahead of me.
In a way you are right. A tool is no good unless you understand and know how to use it. Give some people a stick and they will trip over it and hurt themselves or poke an eye out.

Preparing to survive you learn to use tools at hand but unfortunately Darwin plays a part in survival too. :s0093:

Imagine the folks that train constantly to use a bow in a survival situation, then they fall and break a wrist.o_O

In a way you are right. A tool is no good unless you understand and know how to use it. Give some people a stick and they will trip over it and hurt themselves or poke an eye out.

Preparing to survive you learn to use tools at hand but unfortunately Darwin plays a part in survival too.
Yup, that "check your ego" thing I was talking about a while ago is very important. :rolleyes:

Know yourself, know your limits, don't push those limits if you're in a remote location, and don't draw arbitrary boxes everyone must fit into as soon as they turn 40.

Imagine the folks that train constantly to use a bow in a survival situation, then they fall and break a wrist.o_O
That's why I say everyone over 28 years old should carry two rigid wrist braces, it's just common sense.

Yup, that "check your ego" thing I was talking about a while ago is very important. :rolleyes:

Know yourself, know your limits, don't push those limits if you're in a remote location, and don't draw arbitrary boxes everyone must fit into as soon as they turn 40.

That's why I say everyone over 28 years old should carry two rigid wrist braces, it's just common sense.
It's why I don't argue on the net. If you have to argue a point its obvious the person you argue with can't see the difference. I look at folks today in their 40s and it's obvious to me that they should be using a stick to walk.

The difference in opinion seems to come from people looking at themselves in their 40s and they don't need a stick.

I tend to think about others because if it gets to real survival it will be those with you that make a difference otherwise what are you surviving for?..

Anyway I am done again with the conversation and good luck to you in the times to come. :)

Too much talking for me, rather be reading and thinking.

My only objection is to the arbitrary age line. I know plenty of folks under 40 who could benefit from a stick, plenty of folks over 40 who wouldn't.

I know folks who carry a gun, bear spray, and an air horn with them anytime they're out past pavement, and some who rarely carry any of those things. There is no single right way to be an outdoorsman. The best thing you can do to protect your body from dumb injuries is to use it for more things more often so you're ready when you need to rely on it. You don't have to hit the gym every day or run half marathons on a treadmill, but if you can't remember the last time you held a crouching position for a few minutes, crawled on your belly, or did a somersault, you might be better off with a stability related tool.

I found one of these at a gun show a couple years ago, and been using it for a cane. They call it a Ten Shin. Made by Cold Steel and designed by Steven Seagal himself… I might be half crippled, but as long as I got this baby the other half is a deadly ninja just like Steve.

:D 10DDA3C1-45F3-4459-9D20-3031FEB7200B.jpeg

Only problem with the Ten Shin is it LOOKS a little too much like a weapon and in our snowflake society now I don't want a Karen going nuts at Grocery Outlet over it.

William Forstchen "One Minute After" series… these should be required reading.
Yes, I read that series, too. Very good!

Thanks for the heads up on the other possibilities.

Good luck on your recovery. I'm kinda in the same boat. Docs say it will be 18-24 months before I will walk normal, and even that's not a guarantee.

Imagine you're out hiking rough terrain, you're alone and a you slip causing rocks to fall. A large rock pins your leg, it's heavy enough that even a very fit man would have difficulty lifting. You're bleeding too, perhaps a broken bone is exposed. I'd sure be happy to have a sturdy walking stick to gain leverage to roll that rock off my ankle or leg. Nature will always win against the man who thinks he doesn't need to adhere to even the smallest of dangers.
Alone, difficult terrain... I'll take my PLB first, then maybe the walking stick.

Only problem with the Ten Shin is it LOOKS a little too much like a weapon and in our snowflake society now I don't want a Karen going nuts at Grocery Outlet over it.
I've been leaning on mine, shopping all over town for a couple years, and nobody seems to have a problem with it at all. Maybe the greater Kelso,Longview Karen's are more tolerant. If they only knew what I had tucked in my vest pocket:D

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top