JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Unfortunately the outcome most don't want to think about or acknowledge when something as mundane as a sprained ankle or broken bone happens during a survival situation is often the most obvious, which is we die. We can't prepare for everything and even when we try to sometimes something as small as a rock we trip on can take our lives. It's a good thing to accept as a very real possibility in any survival situation. Death is often mundane in survival situations. Heat exhaustion, sickness, small injury, infection, hypothermia, etc. most will die from these things.

Wow, that's a fun problem... sounds like you need one or two of these AND a set of good crutches:
1627331627994.png

The way you stay safe on a secured ladder is always have three points of contact as you move up or down. Walking as you get in your 40s should be supported by a stick or cane.

I have an old friend in his 80s that fell in his front yard and couldn't get up. No phone so he couldn't call for help and nothing around to support him in his efforts to get up. He just laid there like a turtle on its back until someone found him.

With a cane or walking stick he may not of fell but he won't use one for psychological reasons. At least now he carries a phone all the time. :s0093:

The way you stay safe on a secured ladder is always have three points of contact as you move up or down. Walking as you get in your 40s should be supported by a stick or cane.

I have an old friend in his 80s that fell in his front yard and couldn't get up. No phone so he couldn't call for help and nothing around to support him in his efforts to get up. He just laid there like a turtle on its back until someone found him.

With a cane or walking stick he may not of fell but he won't use one for psychological reasons. At least now he carries a phone all the time. :s0093:
As silly as it may sound I gave my elderly family members small whistles. Fits on a key chain. It could easily save a life, low energy way to get attention in a fall down situation or others.

As far as prepping to deal with a situation like that after SHTF: immediate first aid for a sprained ankle, even a bad one, can make the recovery much faster and better. wrap it tight and stay off it. for a broken foot, unless you have access to a modern hospital and supply chains are still running, that's an amputation if you want to live.

Regardless of your access to medical care, either one of these injuries is a possible death sentence unless you have a community you can trust and rely on to take care of you until you recover.

Seems to me that in a long-term survival situation, an ounce of injury avoidance is worth a pound of medical care, and you can't even put a value on community.

I'm well into my 40's and I don't need a cane or a stick or any other assistance to walk. Or run. Which I do everyday at the gym after lifting weights.

I'm with you on the walking stick

I'm well into my 40's and I don't need a cane or a stick or any other assistance to walk. Or run. Which I do everyday at the gym after lifting weights.
Yep, good luck. Same thing can be said about a gun, you don't need one until you need one. Survival in my opinion has a lot to do with learning how to travel as times change. Time changes everything.

I was walking in tall grass and stepped in a hole causing me to fall ten years ago. Broke my left wrist and laid in the tall grass trying to recover for about an hour as traffic drove by. Pretty fit for 59 and exercising every day with walking part of the program. Accidents happen but from then on I carry a stock cane so I don't fall accidentally.

It's more than support, it's a defensive tool. :s0093:

I don't think there's any set age where it's a good idea to carry a stick for walking assistance. I find that having my hands free helps me protect myself and safely traverse obstacles more than carrying a walking stick or trekking pole with me when I am in the backcountry. I know people under 30 who can barely walk on flat pavement without assistance and people over 60 who are more mobile than I am over uneven terrain. Know your body, use your body regularly, and when you are using your body for movements you haven't used it for in a while, be careful and check your ego.

Yep, good luck. Same thing can be said about a gun, you don't need one until you need one. Survival in my opinion has a lot to do with learning how to travel as times change. Time changes everything.

I was walking in tall grass and stepped in a hole causing me to fall ten years ago. Broke my left wrist and laid in the tall grass trying to recover for about an hour as traffic drove by. Pretty fit for 59 and exercising every day with walking part of the program. Accidents happen but from then on I carry a stock cane so I don't fall accidentally.

It's more than support, it's a defensive tool. :s0093:
I don't need luck. I abstain from alcohol, I don't eat fast food. I hit the gym 5-6 days a week and currently bench press 40-50 pounds over my body weight (I'm 215).

I run at least 30 minutes on the treadmill at 7.5-9mph every day after weights. My age has NOTHING to do with my physical abilities and I would happily go up against dudes half my age.

As far as defensive tools, I have my gun, my knife, a flashlight and my fists. I'll take my chances.

I don't need luck. I abstain from alcohol, I don't eat fast food. I hit the gym 5-6 days a week and currently bench press 40-50 pounds over my body weight (I'm 215).

I run at least 30 minutes on the treadmill at 7.5-9mph every day after weights. My age has NOTHING to do with my physical abilities and I would happily go up against dudes half my age.

As far as defensive tools, I have my gun, my knife, a flashlight and my fists. I'll take my chances.
I truly hope you reach old age to the point you can understand. Until then, good luck and have fun as life is short. :)

With all due respect I don't believe anyone is questioning your impressive physical state or abilities for your age. This is a survival preparedness thread discussing those aspects. Being prepared with tools and a humble attitude for nature and how truly fragile our bodies are I believe is the nature of the points being made. I've seen very strong healthy men felled by very small and often avoidable causes. A strong man is still often the weakest mammal in a wild nature setting.

I don't think there's any set age where it's a good idea to carry a stick for walking assistance. I find that having my hands free helps me protect myself and safely traverse obstacles more than carrying a walking stick or trekking pole with me when I am in the backcountry. I know people under 30 who can barely walk on flat pavement without assistance and people over 60 who are more mobile than I am over uneven terrain. Know your body, use your body regularly, and when you are using your body for movements you haven't used it for in a while, be careful and check your ego.
Imagine you're out hiking rough terrain, you're alone and a you slip causing rocks to fall. A large rock pins your leg, it's heavy enough that even a very fit man would have difficulty lifting. You're bleeding too, perhaps a broken bone is exposed. I'd sure be happy to have a sturdy walking stick to gain leverage to roll that rock off my ankle or leg. Nature will always win against the man who thinks he doesn't need to adhere to even the smallest of dangers.

With all due respect I don't believe anyone is questioning your impressive physical state or abilities for your age. This is a survival preparedness thread discussing those aspects. Being prepared with tools and a humble attitude for nature and how truly fragile our bodies are I believe is the nature of the points being made. I've seen very strong healthy men felled by very small and often avoidable causes. A strong man is still often the weakest mammal in a wild nature setting.
At 69 I feel I have survived most of the things in life that could have killed me. Many times it was luck I guess but being prepared accounts for a great deal more to a longer life for me.

Having tools on hand for what comes along makes a difference and it's good to read that fellow travelers in life understand. Good luck and long life to you. :)

At 69 I feel I have survived most of the things in life that could have killed me. Many times it was luck I guess but being prepared accounts for a great deal more to a longer life for me.

Having tools on hand for what comes along makes a difference and it's good to read that fellow travelers in life understand. Good luck and long life to you. :)
Thank you, I'll always take as much luck as life will give me. But being prepared helps offset the bad luck! I'd much rather have the average man with a healthy respect for nature and a humble attitude towards survival than the peak fitness man that thinks nothing can stop them, as a traveling companion.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top