JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We tried that... FAIL!!! $25 is cheap for months of being able to shower.
I guess if you can use it repeatedly that makes sense.
Plus you won't have to worry about ripping any hair off after the fact. ;)
I never had any issue with a grocery bag when I broke my arm... but I could also hold that above the spray.

What?

My wife got a clear rubber thingy that goes over the cast and seals around the leg above the knee, thereby not getting the cast wet. Got it at the Tri-City Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Clinic. $25... they are also available online.

Is there some other reason they don't want you to shower?

View attachment 549637
I'll look into that... they gave me a no rinse soap stuff to use for a while but a shower would be nice.

47E0BF52-0C8F-45E9-B16A-467B50923C06.png
Been there, done that. If you lose the ability to walk contact ExoSym in Gig Harbor. Google it, it changed my life.

Nope. A large chunk of my paycheck goes to MY health insurance, with a max out of pocket LESS than my HSA balance, that I also dump money into. Not paying for someone else whonwas too cheap or lazy to do so .

I hope to get a spear shot at a dog tooth tuna on my trip. I hope I won't need rabies shots !

How do you prep for this? Sprained my right ankle then completely obliterated my left

First say "God, I am truly sorry for whatever the heck I did, and I promise to never do it again!" 1627109557063.png
Yeeowtch that X-Ray is ugly.
I hope you heal quickly

ETA Wow, I didn't look at how old this thread was before I replied:oops:
Anyway, OP, I hope you're out strutting your stuff again.

How do you prep for this? Sprained my right ankle then completely obliterated my left

First say "God, I am truly sorry for whatever the heck I did, and I promise to never do it again!" View attachment 997779
Yeeowtch that X-Ray is ugly.
I hope you heal quickly

ETA Wow, I didn't look at how old this thread was before I replied:oops:
Anyway, OP, I hope you're out strutting your stuff again.
Oh it's still causing me a lot of grief. I've had two surgeries so far and looking ant 1-2 more. The cartilage in my ankle is gone, and one of the screws broke of and has worked it's way down into the joint. I'm looking at either a fusion, or if I can find the right surgeon an ankle replacement. They say I'm too young for a replacement which I feel is BS. I'd rather have full use of my ankle while I'm young than when I'm too old to enjoy it. Fusion puts extra stress on all the foot joints and I can already feel them getting aggravated.

Huge wake up call!
A couple days ago I was walking to my car, stumbled on a step, and ended up spraining my right ankle then completely obliterated my left. Broke my fibula, and my tibia.. my foot was pointed backwards and the pain was like nothing I've ever felt... It was ugly!
Well just look at the X-ray... This was one for the books!

View attachment 542620
Ambulance was there in 10 minutes. They had me to the hospital, x rays were taken, And before I knew it I was waking up from antistesia with my foot pointed back in the right direction. All within 2 hours of initial injury.

I was taken to a nice quiet room where I was attended to by very sweet, and attractive nurses...by the next afternoon I had a plate and nine screws, all made out of titanium, holding everything together. I was sent home with all the medication I need to ease the pain, reduce the swelling, and minimize the chances of getting an infection, and instructions to stay off my leg, and keep it elevated for at least 2 months.
...so 2 months of being bedridden, and I can't even use my "good foot" to hop around on because it is sprained bad enough to keep me laid up for a few weeks on it's own. With any luck, I'll be walking again within a few months... albeit with a limp and limited range of motion in my left ankle.
In the meantime I am helpless. I can't get myself a sandwich.. I can't support my family. I can't even make it to the bathroom...

I just finished the latest book from A.Americans home series, and I am 3/4 of the way through James W. Rawles "Patriots"... So grid down situations are heavy on my mind..
Had this happened under those circumstances... Survival would have been impossible.

I don't know how to reset broken bones... I don't have a supply of titanium plates and screws. I can't even get out of bed for the next two months let alone provide for or protect my family.

#1 priority for prepping has to be health. Get into the best physical condition possible and maintain it. if I were 75 pounds lighter, I'd probably be fine. The extra weight, along with other existing medical issues made a common stumble absolutely disastrous even with the luxury of having first responders there within minutes to stabilize and transport me to highly skilled physicians that are fully supplied with state of the art equipment to repair the damage.

I just stumbled on a stair!

Lots to think about, and lots of time to think about it!
No, it would be possible in a prepping group. Surviving alone is near impossible. A group that has medical experts, carpenters, mechanics, trigger pullers, homesteaders, etc.

Yeesh! Nonetheless, I always say We live in an age of miracles. I hope some medical breakthrough that will benefit you happens soon. Best of luck on your recovery.

Oh it's still causing me a lot of grief. I've had two surgeries so far and looking ant 1-2 more. The cartilage in my ankle is gone, and one of the screws broke of and has worked it's way down into the joint. I'm looking at either a fusion, or if I can find the right surgeon an ankle replacement. They say I'm too young for a replacement which I feel is BS. I'd rather have full use of my ankle while I'm young than when I'm too old to enjoy it. Fusion puts extra stress on all the foot joints and I can already feel them getting aggravated.
Wow, that's a helluva ride my friend. I echo the hope that you get hooked up with the right orthopedic surgeon to resolve the issue once and for all. Sounds like you need a sports medicine guy, with progressive, modern techniques and willing to push the envelope.

Prayers that the right doctors will be put in Your path to bring you a full recovery.

@Mygrainman I didn't know that your ankle was still bothering you I thought you kind of healed up. Much respect brother I hope they find the right doctor such as nammac has said. My thoughts and prayers are going out to you brother

So glad I was able to afford mine. Only reason I am still able to work. Best wishes on a solution.

Things like this happen even in the best of times. I was just casually walking to my car. It was dark, the step was a little shallow, and my foot just slid down... sprain..the other one came down to catch myself and it slid with all my 300lbs and the momentum was enough to do do the damage.
I'm a big guy, but I also have excellent balance, I snowboarded a lot back in the day spending 90% of the time on the black and double black diamonds of Snowbird in Utah(Good Times!), and my last job was a scaffold rigger... both very dangerous, requiring lots of strength and balance.
Lesson here is prep for everything and never become complacent!
You really can't have too many medical supplies, and hopefully somebody in your network with medical training, but at the very least as much medical literature as you can get to DIY... and of course stay healthy to minimize risk.
You could survive the apocalypse... have everything you need to get by indefinitely, then do something like this on casual walk to feed the chickens...
Had not seen this thread til just now. So hope by now you are feeling better. The be prepared brings one thing to mind for me. Sick time. WA passed a law couple years ago that places that give sick time had to allow workers to use it anyway they wanted. Where I am the sick time you had to be off 3 days or more. Sick time did not kick in till the 3d day. Well word soon got around and many had a blast working 4 day weeks, taking long weekends and all. Some of them mock me that I do not. At my age having that 12 weeks is a nice comfort. If I have some misshap I know I have a pay check coming for months while I heal. The stress of injury is bad enough. Would hate to add to that no longer getting paid.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top