JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Do you save for your next firearm purchase in any specific way? Do you have to take any extreme measures to prevent yourself from blowing it or getting it confiscated by family members?

Since I have changed states and no longer have a dealer that does lay-a-way I have had to find a new method of sitting aside money for my firearms purchases. I have very little discipline when it comes to cash on hand. If I just put money aside I either end up grabbing it and putting it in my pocket for a night out and blowing it or I get that "do you have any cash" question from my other half and "poof" it is gone.

Recently I have just been stopping in at a local shop when I have an extra $50 or more on me and picking up a gift certificate. That way I am not tempted to spend it during the week and I can honestly answer "no" when asked if I have any spare cash. Once the certificates hit a certain dollar amount I start looking for what I want next.

I typically save for my next purchase by any alternate income sources:

Side jobs
Christmas $'s
Birthday $'s
Etc...

I attempt to find the needed "new aquistion" quickly, so the cash and checks don't get redirected to the general fund (which typically doesn't include firearms).

I am still a fan of Gunbroker's layaway plan...

I keep a portion of overtime money earned out of my check. I store it in a savings account that I can only get to if I drive to the credit union. No checks or debit cards tend to keep me in check from needlessly spending my next purchase money. :D

I get paid weekly, and pay my bills and expenses on a four-week-per-month schedule. Four months per year there are five pay checks. So that 'extra' check can buy 2-3 new handguns, or a long weekend in Las Vegas:D

Do you save for your next firearm purchase in any specific way? Do you have to take any extreme measures to prevent yourself from blowing it?...
$100 a month from the ole paycheck goes into the "Gun Fund." I usually take it out of the ATM when I get the chance then get back to the bank a day or two later, swap my twenties for a hundred dollar bill and put that into the safe-deposit box. I don't know if those are extreme measures, but by having large bills I find myself much less apt to spend it frivolously. It's not within easy reach - gotta plan to go get it, so there's not much in the way if impulse buys. It takes me time to save, so I'm kinda a tightwad and don't really like to blow it all. If I do run across something "I must have right now" I've got my credit card and can use that. I worked my keester off paying off all my debt, so that credit card rarely ever sees the light of day. Also figure I'm pretty well set; have been fortunate over the years and have gotten to own and play many different firearms - my want list is pretty short and concise. Have come to the realization that I am not a collector and do not want a collection. Have a few that I like and that's it. They are, after all, a liability as much as they are anything else and kinda expensive to insure. I am a bit of a stick-in-the-mud so I don't have any other vices that seek that money in the Gun Fund. The glass is half empty.

I have a separate savings account that I can't access with my ATM card.

A friend took to buying postal money orders and keeps them in his gun safe until he has enough for the next purchase. If he doesn't have something specific in mind he builds an AR up on the cheap and sells / trades it once he finds a must have item.

I don't save up, I just buy guns when I have money lol. However, being I have purchased almost all under $1,000 guns that I want, its time to start saving up for the big stuff, Full Auto MAC, 50BMG, FN57 pistol.

I ride my bicycle to work 8 mo out of the year and save my gas budget during that time. Gas prices as they are now it is about $60 every two weeks. 2 benefits, new gun and keeps my dunlop in check.

Well, once my house is sold, hopefully next month, I will have about $1600 free to do what I want with. Have never had that much "free" money ever, per month. Although, I think I need to put some of it way, in a savings plan or something. But, I do see my collection increasing, might have to buy a 4th safe.

Sell guns to buy more guns lol. I don't typically keep a gun very long after it seizes to be fun for me to shoot. Case in point, I went from Polymer to 1911 and havnt looked back. all my xd's are gone and I've got 3 1911's now lol. Well, that was before I lost them all in a freak boating accident.

I keep an envelope with cash in my gun safe. I also generally put a picture of the gun I want on the front of the envelope, which keeps me from blowing the cash on something else. Right now I am just starting out and have about $250 in my envelope. Next gun will be a shotgun for skeet/trap/5 stand shooting. Not sure what I am getting yet, but most likely a Browning Citori. Most likely used.

I ask my wife to take out whatever amount isn't needed for that pay period (usually 100-150 a check) and put it in an account that I don't have access to. Then, when I have enough for a specific weapon I want, all I have to do is strap her down and torture her until she relents and lets me have my money :s0112: She's kind of a tightwad with my money :D But then again that isn't a bad thing because I'm definitely not the saving type and she won't let me have a credit card :winkkiss:

Every quarter my company gives out gain sharing checks based on how the company is doing. If I don't have other pressing expenses, I usually use some of my gain sharing money for firearm or other "toy" purchases.

me and My wife recently had a little boy and i find that its made me watch how i spend my personal savings and I always end up with alot.. but i also dotn wanna spend it now lol.. tho I do have a few guns on layaway i needa pay off

Save? Hahahaha:s0114:

I do have a savings account, from which I can transfer funds to my checking account.
It's called annual motorcycle insurance fund.

But I also put money (when I seldom have any extra) in my safe, until I get enough for my purchase.

I can pay most of my bills with one paycheck, and I try to save most of the second one. When possible, I skim off the excess and pick something I've had my eye on. However, most of the time, I use my current collection as trade fodder towards something new.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top