Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

How do you have your match AR set up?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by finch6013, Aug 9, 2009.

1. finch6013

finch6013 Oregon City Active Member

Curious as to how some of us set up our AR's that use them for competition.
    What trigger?
    Vertical foregrip or no and why?
    forend style and why?
    buttstock?

I am currently running a mostly stock AR and have been doing quite well considering. But I am also thinking of changing some parts to hopefully gain some ground.
    Current thoughts are to add a timney or mcCormic trigger

2. NoAim

NoAim Hillsboro, OR Active Member

The question is, what kind of "match"?

For things like 3-gun and Practical Rifle I run what would be called a "Tactical" setup by USPSA (although I push it sometimes with the use of a bipod).

Generally I use a lightened factory trigger. I don't do VFGs very well and prefer the standard slim handguards. Sometimes I'll put on the bipod depending on what the courses will be that day. For buttstocks, I like the MagPul MOE or a fixed A1 length stock.

Otherwise, no frills.

My current setup is a CMMG 16" lightweight midlength with an ACOG on top. A short add-on rail to the underside of the standard handguards allows me to place a bipod or flashlight there. Fixed front sight, flip up rear, Cav Arms lower (or sometimes a standard with MOE stock), standard LPK, but modified to reduce trigger pull weight.

I've run with muzzle brakes before and they do help, but I debate whether to keep them on or not. I'll be trying out the FSC556 on my lightweight.

FYI, I used to run a full free floated, tons of rails, super accurate medium profile rifle and a dual optic setup. In the end, I decided I didn't like shooting the 10.5 pound .223, added complication of 3 sets of sights, etc. So, I went lightweight and haven't suffered in times or accuracy. I find shooting offhand and movement between positions to be easier.

Of course, if I'm feeling a bit more aggressive and still want the heavier rifle, I'll bring out the .308. :D

3. NoAim

NoAim Hillsboro, OR Active Member

Let me add something as well.

Most of your speed and accuracy come from you, not the gun, in a match situation. Case in point:

- A couple of matches ago, two competitors decided to use the "hillbilly assault repeater" (a.k.a. Marlin 336 lever gun in .30-30). One of the guys who usually places in the top 10-15, still came in the top 20 (of 50+) with a 6-round lever gun with open sights.

- In another match, the match winner beat out the other guys with race guns, optics, bipods, etc. with a plain jane A2 iron sighted gun.....at night.

- In our last match, using pre-1948 guns, half of the bolt guns beat half of the semi-autos.

So, get the gun to where you feel comfortable with it, and it's reliable. I find optics for me work really well for the long range targets. Otherwise, the best money spent is on ammo and time for practice. :)