JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
how do you guys check to make sure a gun is not stolen before you buy from a private seller. do you call the state police and have it ran . and if so do they ask for yours and the sellers info before they run it or what

I'm a police dispatcher & I have no problems running a gun for wants. I don't want to ask peoples names because i don't want others discouraged from calling in and checking for stolen status.

Obviously if it returns stolen we will want to recover it to the rightful owner and if there is suspect information, attempt to prosecute the theft.

to the dispatcher i think that is very good responce . i love common sense . i have called a police dept before and the officer insisted that i give my name and info . and i felt that he was invading my privacy . after all i was trying to be the honest person and make sure i wasnt buying a stolen firearm . my dad is a retired police officer and he told me that whenever someone called in to run a gun he always did it with no questions asked . for the same reasons already covered he also said if it came up hot then he would ask for the info on the gun many times they assisted. thank you for your responce

I phoned only once to ask and my local police said I'd have to buy the gun then bring it in before they checked on it. Guess they didn't have their quota of "receiving stolen goods" arrests for that month.

years ago(20yrs.) i bought a ruger blackhawk off of the local nickel ads.. then i became bored with it, took it to a local gun shop to trade it for something different,, low and behold, it came back stolen.. the sheriff showed up right away and wanted to know where i got it,, so i took the sheriff to the guys house,, he admitted that he sold it to me,, and come to find out,he had already sold several stolen guns and other items and had a long criminal history. the sheriff didnt do anything about it, told me it was a civil matter. so i was out the price of the gun .. took the guy to small claims court,,which cost me filing fees, had to hire a private dective (cost me more money) to find out where the guy banked at to garnish his account for the price of the gun.. all in all i was out twice what i paid for the gun, when it was all said and done. definately will never buy without a background check again.

So... how are ya all doing this? Are you just looking at the gun and saying to the guy; "Hey man, I'm going to call the local PD and have this gun checked real quick."

I'm thinking that if the gun was hot there would be a whole lotta red flags as soon as you said that...

-d

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads