JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Take hunter safety and get your license
Decide what you would like to hunt
Find a guide. Speaking from my first hunt which was for pigs back in California. The guide was well-respected, He had access to private lands,
The guide had a no pig, no pay guarantee and he would clean the pig and/or coach you through skinning and dressing out the animal
I paid a lot for those first pigs , possibly more than buying it at the store, BUT...
I learned some tracking skills, how to dress out the animal, what to look for when you're scouting.
Those skills helped me on later hunts. I am not Davy Crockett and most hunters can probably dress out an animal a lot faster than me but I can handle myself and my game.
Good luck with the hunt!:s0155:

If you really want to get in good with the forum locals, ask them for advice on which caliber or rifle is the best for hunting? For best results, don't give any specifics!
:s0114:

Not to worry. You can do it. Either alone, or by finding a local mentor/partner. All the previous advice is pretty spot on, especially the boots advice - don't skimp here, and wear them quite a bit before you go out walking in the woods. You can get by with a really beat up, cheap rifle with a crappy scope, as long as everything works reliably for bigger game. And an everyday Remmy 870 or Mossy 500 12 or 20 gauge will get you any small game just fine. Unless you like rocking the Calvin Kleins when you hunt. :)
But, maybe before you spend a few thou on gear, see if you like it first?
Good luck with your journey.

As somebody who doesn't hunt...
I would practice tracking, and viewing wildlife. I would research the target species behavior and attempt to view them in nature. I would practice shooting the type of gun necessary for my target species. Absorb as much media on the subject as possible.
Spend as much time practicing as possible. Talk to everyone you can and sort through their advice, you'll get some good and some bad. An "unsuccessful" hunt is just successful practice and a valuable lesson, at least fresh air and good fun.
That's how I learned to fish.

A lot of people suggest guide services, if that's your cup of tea.

As somebody who doesn't hunt...
I would practice tracking, and viewing wildlife. I would research the target species behavior and attempt to view them in nature. I would practice shooting the type of gun necessary for my target species. Absorb as much media on the subject as possible.
Spend as much time practicing as possible. Talk to everyone you can and sort through their advice, you'll get some good and some bad. An "unsuccessful" hunt is just successful practice and a valuable lesson, at least fresh air and good fun.
That's how I learned to fish.

Good advice!!!

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

OP.... I forgot about practice.... once you've read some articles, watched some vids, talked to a few hunters.... If interested in big game buy a .22lr rifle and start target shooting. Take some time to research what rifle and cartridge you want to shoot for big game, and what power scope is usually dependent on the type of countryside you will hunt. A variable is more common today and will give you more flexibility of use. 3x-9x are the most common, but 1x-6x or 2x-7x are popular on the west side for more closed in hunting like blacktails. A lot of people use a fixed power 4x.... it's considered old school, but some people don't like to mess with rings and knobs. Then there's the 6x-24x fans for long range shooting... I wouldn't recommend that for a beginner, you can't see much field of view at 6x and 24x is very shaky. IMO most shots on big game are less than 200yds, which is the limit I would recommend for a beginner.

Don't get hung up on cartridge/caliber. The old standards have the most utility for a beginner IMO. 30/30, .308, 30-06, 270, 7mm-08... medium cartridges. IMO magnums are not useful for a beginner and might even cause you to develop a flinch.

If interested in birds or wabbits, buy a shotgun, either a 12ga or a 20ga depending on how recoil tolerant you are and if you plan to ever hunt waterfowl then you need the 12ga. The 20ga is lighter but takes a better shot on most bird species because the amount of pellet charge it puts out is much smaller. Then go shoot some trap, skeet, sporting clays, or informal clay throwing. You really gotta have some practice shooting moving targets cuz most don't just sit on a log or a branch like Blue or Franklin grouse.

Last Edited:
A lot of good suggestions here - hunter safety course, ODFW how-to resources, MeatEater, etc. Even simply reading the big game hunting regs cover to cover is helpful.

But you will learn much more quickly learning from someone, or at least with others. If you can't tag along with one of the Cub Scout dads who hunts, the next best would be to enlist some of the other Cub Scout dads who would like to learn with you.

I'm in your neighborhood and would be happy to talk further, if you'd like. Send me a PM.

Deer leave tracks,,, get out to several clear cuts and find tracks,,, follow them develop a sense for what they are doing although their habits will change. Blacktail have relatively small home areas they stay to most of the year unless the deer are high in elevation.
Get out there and see what's going on and learn to "read" tracks. Good Luck

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads