Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

How do you clean your Pistol?

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by Bunny, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Bunny

Bunny Portland, OR Well-Known Member

What's it made of? (steel, alloy, polymer, etc)

How old is it or how long have you had it?

When and how often do you clean it?

What cleaning products and tools do you use, and for what specific purpose?

How long can your gun go without being cleaned before it malfunctions?

Products and things to avoid?

2. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

After so many rounds (100) or if it is going to sit for a while.By 100 rounds I mean if I go out and shoot,and only shoot 20 rounds,and will be shooting again in a few days,I don't necessarily clean it.Some weeks I go a few days in a row.

After a smoken good shoot fest,I will dis assemble the gun and clean it with a q-tip.

I was hunting duck by salt water, so the shotgun got dis assembled after the weekend
    Trigger group out,slide off and all.

My Glocks usually waited 6 months to get cleaned,Kimber,every time.

Oh and G96 is my favorite solution to use on my guns.Doesn't stink too much and does a "bang up" job (sorry)
    And I never use WD40 for anything any more.

I don't have any Bore Snakes,but I think they are about as slick a tool as you could find.

3. spengo

spengo GLORIOUS CASCADIA Active Member

I clean about once every 500 rounds or once a month, whichever happens first. If I haven't been shooting it, I let it sit. I use CLP for cleaning and SLiP2000 lube. If a gun malfunctions with less than 500rds through it since the last cleaning there is something wrong. I will find the problem and fix it.

This goes for all firearms, steel, alloy, polymer, old, new, pistols, rifles, etc.

4. just dan

just dan PDX Active Member

What's it made of? (steel, alloy, polymer, etc)
    Steel... CZ75

How old is it or how long have you had it?
    made in 1988, had it 10 years

When and how often do you clean it?
    after firing surplus/steel case, or whenever it "looks" dirty

What cleaning products and tools do you use, and for what specific purpose?
    Gibbs brand lubricant, usually

How long can your gun go without being cleaned before it malfunctions?
    this gun- no idea. it's looked like it had a rough time in a swamp, and still fired perfectly

Products and things to avoid?
    Gibbs... it works really well so you'll start using it on everything...but it's expensive

5. Crispy

Crispy WA Member

-Glock
    -4ish years
    -I clean it after every "use"
    -GUNSLICK, brushes, swabs, Qtips
    -Dunno gone 700ish rnds before I cleaned it one time... no malfunctions
    -CLP (I hate the smell)

6. supergenius

supergenius 206 Active Member

G96 is awesome. I clean them every time I use them.

7. 74sporty

74sporty metro portland Active Member

baby eagle .45 in park'd steel, i put about 200 rounds of pmc ball ammo in the pipe through about 4 sessions, no malfunctions. i clean her after every shoot.

kimber in ss. i got that from a buddy. he put about a couple hundred rounds through. he never cleaned her. a year later i get her and shoot her with out cleaning her first. she stove pipes one or two (limp wrist?) but after i cleaned and oiled her she runs flawlessly. she too gets cleaned every time.

sig 9mm blued steel. same results. no malfunctions. cleaned every time.

springfield gi .45 in park'd steel. good looking gun, but it jammed almost everytime i took her out. only tried a couple of brands of ammo. pmc ball ammo was one. and winchester. both jammed and some flew in my face. it had a real short ejector.

im sure the quality of the manufacturing will allow me to go longer between cleanings, but i like tearing down stuff. it also builds good habit and you get good and fast at it. i use this solvent in a can deal. its like brake clean, but for guns... thats why its more expensive i guess. reckon brake clean would do the job. i hose it down with this stuff after i tear down the pistol to the barrel. wire brush all the black stuff on the slide. copper brush the barrel. jiggle the firing pin and squirt solvent in it. then i use this remington oil in a can to lube everything, barrel, slide, pin, all moving parts and even the finish. let the oil sit a bit and wipe it with a micro fiber towel... and i shoot only bi mart ammo

8. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin Pacific Northwest Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

How do I clean my pistols? Often...and usually sitting in front of the TV.

I clean every gun after I shoot it before putting it away. I also clean guns that have sat for more than a couple months without being shot. The vast majority of my guns are stainless steel.

9. Beefcake

Beefcake Portland Active Member

What? You're supposed to clean them?

10. 3 AE

3 AE Oregon Member

I don't. I have my wife clean them. I made a deal with her years ago. I do the cooking and she cleans the guns. It has worked out well for both of us. She hates to cook and I hate to clean.:thumbup:

11. Dadn96

Dadn96 Vancouver Member

All- Glock, CZ, Browning,Ruger,Kahr
    1 to 10 years
    Clean after every use
    disassemble scrub with Hoppes elite, tooth brush,let sit a hour or so scrub again, wash off with Gun Scrubber or like aresol (polymer safe)
    then use spray Rem oil on all metal parts be sure to get inside and around all parts (Gun scrubber takes off all lube) wipe off excess then relube moving parts- rails, Trigger, sear, ect with light film of Mobil 1 5-30w motor oil.
    have not done any long term non-clean test.
    Some spray cleaners are very harsh don't use brake cleaner, some will harm polymers
    petroleum based oil will evaporate over time and not as high temp stable.

12. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

I approve this message,because anyone who owns a ironhead,knows how mechanical things work.Otherwise you sit on the side of the road a lot.

13. 74sporty

74sporty metro portland Active Member

thanks mjbskwim. you tear down bikes and cars your whole life and tearin down a gun isn't so bad. i also like dadn96's idea of using motor oil. i hate buying overpriced gun lube. i got a bunch of mobil 1 synthetic in the garage that would work well on the slide. that stuff is suppose to bond to metals well and doesnt break down in high temps. but you never have to worry about your gun getting as hot as your pistons.

14. Dell_dude

Dell_dude Vancouver, WA Member

I *try* to give mine a cursory cleaning after every range trip (habit left over from the Army).

I'll run some patches through the bore. Field strip, qtip everything I can reach. Wipe down inside and out. Light oil and back together.

Deeper cleaning annually.

15. SKIPPER99

SKIPPER99 Peck, Id Member

since I shoot mostly tactical tupperware (GLOCK) I just field strip and throw in the dishwasher for a cycle then dip in oil. LOL