JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am trying to decide the best way to carry 1 or 2 extra magazines. I have the Sig P239 Which is only a 7+1. I was thinking about a single or duel magazine holder that goes on your belt, or maybe one that holds a flashlight and a magazine.... I dont like the idea of having them in my pockets, but its always a quick solution if need be... How do you guys Carry yours?

I carry a heavier, larger auto in Oregon's three season cool weather (with cover garments) in an OWB holster. Same for the mag carrier. On the belt. Almost any decent unit will do, although I prefer leather. I usually carry only one spare mag when I do. When I train (which I do and you should too), I practice from a strong side belt holster draw with belt mounted off-side reloads. So my muscle-memory is based on this particular configuration.

In hot weather, or whenever I feel I cannot adequate conceal, I carry a lighter smaller auto (or occasionally a revolver) in the pocket. The extra mag/speed strip goes in the opposing pocket in a lightweight pocket mag rig, such as the DeSantis.

I have a variety of leather mag carriers. Some are doubles and some are single mag carriers. Wearing them behind your offside hip keeps them out of the way yet quickly accessible. I carry one high cap mag when carrying a 9mm and two single stacks when carrying a 1911. My favorite double carrier is a Milt Sparks and single is a Galco. Pretty much every holster manufacturer makes them to the same quality as their holsters.

I only carry a PF-9, so the spare mag is pretty tiny. However, I've found that the little change pocket in my jeans fit the spare mag perfectly. The top sticks out enough to make it easy to grab, and just having my t-shirt untucked prevents anyone from seeing it.

Right hand pocket in a pocket mag carrier by desantis. Have one for both my PM9 and G26. Works really well with these shorter mags as the fill size grip mags tend to bother me in the pocket when sitting...

I carry my extra mag in a leather cell phone holster on my weak side (for me left side) belt. That disguises it. The holder has a velcro flap. I can't remember but I may have bought the holder at Wal Mart or Fred Meyer off a rack.

I carry my cell phone in my shirt pocket.

Places that actually specialize in cell phone sales and contracts usually have drawers full of those holsters which aren't in bubble packs and you can actually try them for mag fit.

For my P239, I use a leather, belt slide, open top single mag carrier on my weak side. It fits the mag well enough that I don't worry about loosing it.
I met a guy from Dallas at the Rickreall Gun Show a couple of years ago, gave him a spare mag, and he made it to fit.
He offered to make a holster as well but I already had a Galco Fletch and was happy with it.

Normally bullets facing rearward. That said, my Milt Sparks double carrier (purchased in the mid-80's) is built in such a fashion that one mag goes forward and the other rearward. To further confuse my motor skills, I also have a Wilderness horizontal mag carrier that allows for bullets up or down. I carry bullets down but I have never spent any time thinking about why. Interesting question that caused me to be reaching for spare mags and evaluating the way I naturally grasp them to bring them to the firearm. Twisting your hand as you grasp can produce different results. Competitors are probably laughing at that as a "gee, do ya think" comment, but if you don't practice high speed reloads from the mag carrier, you likely haven't given it enough thought.

When you grab the mag with your weak hand and and bring it up to the base of the gun, it needs to be oriented to go right in. Whatever that means for you in the mag carrier, that's how you place it. You don't want to have to turn the mag over or spin it around in your hand with your fingers imho.

I carry mine "butt up" and bullets forward. Test that for a second with no mag holster and you might like it. As you draw the mag, simply rotating your wrist upward (turning the palm of your hand from down to grasp the mag to up to load the gun) puts the mag right into place. It's a very natural move for me since the palm of my hand has to be down to grasp the mag initially, and up to push the mag into the gun.

...I carry mine "butt up" and bullets forward. Test that for a second with no mag holster and you might like it. As you draw the mag, simply rotating your wrist upward (turning the palm of your hand from down to grasp the mag to up to load the gun) puts the mag right into place. It's a very natural move for me since the palm of my hand has to be down to grasp the mag initially, and up to push the mag into the gun.

Yep, I like the feel better too now that I have played with it for the past few minutes. Sometimes a light just comes on! Thank you CW009 and Gunner. I'm just getting ready to leave the house and my spare mag is now with bullets facing forward! I'd rely on muscle memory but I can't remember anything these days anyway. :s0112:

5.11 Tactical pants have a nifty magazine pocket right where it should go.

Take a look at their website. They're pricy but go on sale pretty regularly.

1645203413122.jpeg

That is a very concealable, slim method. What would not work for me with this method is that I like to have my index finger, "indexed" at the tip of the top round in the mag right from the initial grab. It makes it easier for me to reload this way. Saying that, we all have different choices that work for us. Was in a class with AR's and found that how I stage my primary mag was different from others. Due to multiple shoulder dislocations the "wrong" way is far more natural for me.

To the OP, I carry weak side, bullets forward, usually one extra mag.

I am old and don't like belt carry anymore. Just wear a shirt over it, never get a bump on the doors as you go in and out and never have to think about gun and mags when you crap in a public toilet.

25 rounds in the carry style.

That is a very concealable, slim method. What would not work for me with this method is that I like to have my index finger, "indexed" at the tip of the top round in the mag right from the initial grab. It makes it easier for me to reload this way. Saying that, we all have different choices that work for us. Was in a class with AR's and found that how I stage my primary mag was different from others. Due to multiple shoulder dislocations the "wrong" way is far more natural for me.

To the OP, I carry weak side, bullets forward, usually one extra mag.
Understandable, I hope I don't have to reload mostly. I don't always carry the second mag either. My pistol is single stack and I've found this to be extremely comfortable.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top