Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

How do you carry your mags concealed ?

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by 9mmMike, Jan 6, 2010.

1. 9mmMike

9mmMike Gladstone, OR Member

So how do you all carry your mags when you want different levels of concealment?

When I'm carrying small and with a tuckable holster, I usually cary mags in a Desantis MagPacker pocket carrier.

When I cary larger Guns that I know I'll be wearing a cover garment, I carry in IWB or OWB belt mount mag carriers.

Speed strips when carrying revolvers, as I just find speed loaders too bulky and easy to self release in everyday activities.

2. el gringo loco

el gringo loco PDX Member

In my pocket, with my keys. My mag is always in my left front pocket. iphone always in the right front, knife clipped on right front, wallet in back right, etc. Anything I might need is always in the same place every time I reach for it (with the exception of slightly different tailoring on different pairs of pants).

A mag carrier might make a reload slightly quicker, but I figure anything that is close enough that I can't get behind hard cover for a reload, I'll be going to the knife soon enough anyway.

3. branchbuster

branchbuster Albany Active Member

I use a Glock 23, 13 rounds of 40 better be enough. I usually keep an extra mag in the car.

4. Intoodeep

Intoodeep Beaverton, OR Member

Right chest pocket of my coat, gun in the left.

5. Riot

Riot Benton County, Washington Well-Known Member

Usually I just throw it in my pocket...I lost my single mag holder somewhere....but my pocket works just as good.

6. reloadem

reloadem Monroe, OR Member

2 single stacks owb sob in a leather Don Hume. The single stack mags carry very well.

7. Ben B.

Ben B. Eugene Member

I carry extra ammo already packaged and ready inside a 2nd gun. I have zero concern about needing a reload as a civilian.

8. 9mmMike

9mmMike Gladstone, OR Member

Yea, it's not the reload I would be worried about so much as the possibility of a magazine failure....

9. madderg

madderg Salem oregon Member

I'm right handed and I carry my wallet in the left rear pocket, next to the wallet is a magazine bottoms up.

10. Ben B.

Ben B. Eugene Member

What do you mean by magazine failure? Like the bottom plate coming off and springs and bullets going everywhere? Or the spring breaking and nothing happening after the first shot? The recommended solution is to clear out the broken mag and reload and chamber, while in the midst of a fight?

In the small amount of training I've done, and the larger amount of competition, I've seen feed jams, ejection jams, dropped guns, guns lost in tussles, guns inaccessible with strong hand, but have not yet seen a broken magazine. I've seen magazines that get worn out or don't function in a gun, but don't understand what the "I carry a spare mag in case of magazine failure" is anticipating.

11. Riot

Riot Benton County, Washington Well-Known Member

A double feed...

12. reloadem

reloadem Monroe, OR Member

I carry 2 spares because they only hold 8 rounds each.

13. Reloader55

Reloader55 Eugene New Member

What I mean by "magazine failure" is a magazine related gun failure. If "tap, rack, bang" doesn't work, a quick mag change might. Life is not an IPSC stage.

Back to the original topic. I carry in a mag pouch or weak side rear pocket.

14. Katonic

Katonic Kistap WA New Member

If the magazine is not working and you don't have a spare to stuff in the gun to feed it ammo then you only have an expensive rock to throw at the bad guy. Like driving your car with no spare tire, It makes no sense at all. with a semi-auto every training i have ever been to has always stressed the need to have a second magazine carried with it. It has become so second nature that the companies usually sell the guns with 2 magazines.

15. bshnt2015

bshnt2015 CA & WA Member

Off duty, I still carry as wearing my duty belt, off side, muscle memory.

16. mortre

mortre Yelm, WA Active Member

normally in a belt double mag pouch. currently I don't carry any because my right (strong side) hand is shattered and pinned together =p

17. speelyei

speelyei Willamette Valley Active Member

black plastic bag from the store, plain brown wrapper in the mail.

18. juandelaselva

juandelaselva Boring Sandy Gresham Member

9mmMike (soon to be 40S&WMike):

I was excited to see this post, and was hoping the perfect double stack magazine holder/carry-method would already be in one of the responses...b/c I've been contemplating getting one, or two.

I do not know which one is best, but here's what I've used or am considering purchasing:

The Fobus paddle magazine holder (OWB) http://www.fobusholster.com/catalog/Magazine_Pouches-66-1.html works well, but is somewhat bulky... need to wear a vest or jacket... perferably a goose down one.

Gebhard SOlutions appears to be a fine produce, but I have not personally used them. http://www.gebhardsolutions.com/gebhard_solutions_kydex

I have seen single magazine carriers that are mounted horizontally a belt, but cannot locate a link to them now.

At any rate, if someone out there has found the perfect way to carry a double stack magazine (or two) on your person, please share. I am not a fan of placing a magazine in a pocket with ANYTHING else in the pocket. Or, for that matter, in an empty pocket. It is too easy for bits of pocket lint, hay, or other such small debris to enter into the magazine and impair its function. I have thought about making a heavy duty 'condom' out of a freezer zip lock... but it seems like a lot of work for something that would ultimately breakdown.

Apologies for the rambling-ness of this post.

- John

19. Ben B.

Ben B. Eugene Member

Agreed; more precisely, a pistol fight is not a range. I'd like to see a double feed/mag malfunction cleared by removing the mag, clearing the action, drawing fresh mag, chambering, and getting back online. That's minimum of 5 seconds on the clock for a surpise malfunction of that type, start to finish, with someone who is pretty good. Much longer for the average Joe Schmoe CHL.

In a real fight, that's a lifetime of screwing about with a broken gun.

For the pocket, I've used this type of pocket mag sheath:

http://sideguardholsters.com/holsters/Pocket_Holsters.htm

20. RallyJR

RallyJR Milwaukie, OR Member

I keep mine in that hole in the bottom of the gun...seems to work well. :laugh::laugh::thumbup: