JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I am trying to figure out how I can carry my gun at work. With business dress it is impossible for me to conceal my handgun. I work in an office and was thinking about getting a case that I could leave in my bag. I am around my desk for the majority of the day. I sometimes have to go to court in Portland and was reviewing the Portland gun laws. I noted that part of the section states:

A. It is unlawful for any person to knowingly possess or carry a firearm, in or upon a public place, including while in a vehicle in a public place, recklessly having failed to remove all the ammunition from the firearm.

B. It is unlawful for any person to knowingly possess or carry a firearm and that firearm’s clip or magazine, in or upon a public place, including while in a vehicle in a public place, recklessly having failed to remove all the ammunition from the clip or magazine.

So I am exempt since I have my CHL but when I lock my gun is in my safe in the my truck does it have to be unloaded? I would think that I could leave the gun loaded. I know that it is virtually impossible that someone would discover the gun while I was not in the vehicle. However, when I was younger my girlfriend was dropping me off at my vehicle and I found two cops in it. They told me that an alarm in a building had gone off and that I had left my passenger door unlocked. They had rifled thru my truck and would have found a gun if I had one in there at the time.

I wear my .45 under a suit if I have to wear a suit. IWB and tuck the shirt in.

At work it's IWB with a casual shirt out. Just ordered 3 "Long Tail T's" from Duluth Trading, they're 3" longer than a normal T. They're on sale today for $11.99

I always had mine in my backpack.
or depending were i was sometimes on my person.
I was a moble diesel tech. I was sometimes in the middle of nowhere by myself.
I once had a mt lion come within 50' of me east of lakeview OR. (In the middle of nowhere ) That struck a nerve and my gun was very close from then on..

Ankle holster, deep cover concealment holster, belly band, etc. I don't think it is ever impossible!

If you can't carry on you then there are many options, fake notebook computer cases for guns, hollowed books, etc.

Thanks for the replies. I am thinking about carrying in my work bag since it is always with me. On casual days I can wear IWB but when I am in business casual I can't seem to keep my gun from printing, the main issue being the handle. Might be a good excuse to get another gun.

I wear my .45 under a suit if I have to wear a suit. IWB and tuck the shirt in.

At work it's IWB with a casual shirt out. Just ordered 3 "Long Tail T's" from Duluth Trading, they're 3" longer than a normal T. They're on sale today for $11.99

+1 For the IWB or a SOB holster work for me. Those are my choices for when the weather gets hot.

As for the Portland gun laws, having a CHL makes you exempt, as far as i know, except while in court, unless you meet the qualifications listed below.

Oregon Statutes - Chapter 166 - Offenses Against Public Order; Firearms and Other Weapons; Racketeering - Section 166.173 - Authority of city or county to regulate possession of loaded firearms in public places.

(1) A city or county may adopt ordinances to regulate, restrict or prohibit the possession of loaded firearms in public places as defined in ORS 161.015.

(2) Ordinances adopted under subsection (1) of this section do not apply to or affect:

(a) A law enforcement officer in the performance of official duty.

(b) A member of the military in the performance of official duty.

(c) A person licensed to carry a concealed handgun.

(d) A person authorized to possess a loaded firearm while in or on a public building or court facility under ORS 166.370. [1995 s.s. c.1 §4; 1999 c.782 §8]

166.370¹

Possession of firearm or dangerous weapon in public building or court facility
• exceptions
• discharging firearm at school

(1) Any person who intentionally possesses a loaded or unloaded firearm or any other instrument used as a dangerous weapon, while in or on a public building, shall upon conviction be guilty of a Class C felony.

(2)(a) Except as otherwise provided in paragraph (b) of this subsection, a person who intentionally possesses:

(A) A firearm in a court facility is guilty, upon conviction, of a Class C felony. A person who intentionally possesses a firearm in a court facility shall surrender the firearm to a law enforcement officer.

(B) A weapon, other than a firearm, in a court facility may be required to surrender the weapon to a law enforcement officer or to immediately remove it from the court facility. A person who fails to comply with this subparagraph is guilty, upon conviction, of a Class C felony.

(b) The presiding judge of a judicial district may enter an order permitting the possession of specified weapons in a court facility.

(3) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to:

(a) A sheriff, police officer, other duly appointed peace officers or a corrections officer while acting within the scope of employment.

(b) A person summoned by a peace officer to assist in making an arrest or preserving the peace, while the summoned person is engaged in assisting the officer.

(c) An active or reserve member of the military forces of this state or the United States, when engaged in the performance of duty.

(d) A person who is licensed under ORS 166.291 (Issuance of concealed handgun license) and 166.292 (Procedure for issuing) to carry a concealed handgun.

(e) A person who is authorized by the officer or agency that controls the public building to possess a firearm or dangerous weapon in that public building.

(f) An employee of the United States Department of Agriculture, acting within the scope of employment, who possesses a firearm in the course of the lawful taking of wildlife.

(g) Possession of a firearm on school property if the firearm:

(A) Is possessed by a person who is not otherwise prohibited from possessing the firearm; and

(B) Is unloaded and locked in a motor vehicle.

(4) The exceptions listed in subsection (3)(b) to (g) of this section constitute affirmative defenses to a charge of violating subsection (1) of this section.

(5)(a) Any person who knowingly, or with reckless disregard for the safety of another, discharges or attempts to discharge a firearm at a place that the person knows is a school shall upon conviction be guilty of a Class C felony.

(b) Paragraph (a) of this subsection does not apply to the discharge of a firearm:

(A) As part of a program approved by a school in the school by an individual who is participating in the program;

(B) By a law enforcement officer acting in the officers official capacity; or

(C) By an employee of the United States Department of Agriculture, acting within the scope of employment, in the course of the lawful taking of wildlife.

(6) Any weapon carried in violation of this section is subject to the forfeiture provisions of ORS 166.279 (Forfeiture of deadly weapons).

(7) Notwithstanding the fact that a persons conduct in a single criminal episode constitutes a violation of both subsections (1) and (5) of this section, the district attorney may charge the person with only one of the offenses.

(8) As used in this section, dangerous weapon means a dangerous weapon as that term is defined in ORS 161.015 (General definitions). [1969 c.705 §§2,4; 1977 c.207 §2; 1979 c.398 §2; 1989 c.839 §22; 1989 c.982 §5; 1991 c.67 §39; 1993 c.625 §1; 1999 c.782 §7; 1999 c.1040 §4; 2001 c.666 §§24,36; 2003 c.614 §6; 2009 c.556 §6]

M67

I am not officially allowed to have a gun on the premises, but I have to traverse a not so good part of town to get to work (I take the bus). So I do take my gun with me to work but I remove it (and my two extra mags) and put them in my backpack. Fortunately I have a door that closes to my office and I keep it closed most of the time anyway. So I just go in, close the door and take my coat off and then pull my lunch out of my backpack and then put my mags in and then my gun and holster (I use Remoras for both my gun and mags and they are easy to pull out of my waistband) into the backpack, zip it up and put it in my location I store it for the day.

When leaving, I make sure the door is closed, I go pull my backpack out, put in my gun/holster and then my 2 mags in Remora mag holster and then put my lunch bag back in the backpack, put on my coat and leave.

In my not so humble opinion my right to protect myself supercedes company policy

It really all comes down to how risk adverse you are and how badly you need your job. Are you gambling man? Are you willing to lose your job over carrying? If so, more power to you! If not, company policy trumps.

My line of work - telecom cabling/systems - makes carrying unsafe at most times when doing my job. Anyone that has worked on a limited energy cabling job knows that the cable, ceiling grid, ladder rungs, strings, etc are all looking to snag onto anything it can. Sometimes there are options. Working/eating - yes - is as high a priority as carrying.

I work as a property preservation contractor dealing in foreclosed homes. It is not uncommon that I come across a house with unhappy homeowners, and or the occasional homeless guy that broke in.

No company policy so I OC. My truck is also my office so I keep a Mossberg 500 under the fold down seat.

I'm retired now, but as a business owner, I allowed myself to OC. Also, to the OP...Portland can take their little rant and shove it as far as you or I am concerned. We got a little permission slip from a bigger Nanny.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top