JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It's interesting that the new "hipster" method for coffee brewing is pour over. Now, pour over coffee isn't anything new, but it got me to thinking about the many ways of brewing up coffee.

Personally, I like my coffee black. We make ours using an old 9 cup Comet (made in the USA) stove top percolator, once done my wife and I each have cup and the rest goes into a thermos for later. I found the drip makers weren't very hot, tend to over-flow sometimes, couldn't really clean them too well, and cost waaay too much for what you got. Plus the coffee wasn't all that great.

I also like the Bialetti stove top espresso maker. It's not regular coffee the way I prefer it, but my wife likes an espresso with the milk thing, so I just have a really strong cup of coffee. She thinks I'm nuts to drink an 8 ounce cup of it black, but hey to me it's just a really strong cup of coffee.

This isn't a "my method is better than your method" thread. Just a "how do you make yours" kind of thread.

So, how do you brew?

Mike

ps I am on the hunt for a made in the USA, vintage electric percolator that's in really great condition. Just sayin' :D

Worked for Starbucks momentarily back in college days. For what it was worth it taught me to like using a French press. There are tasty oils that get filtered out using other methods.

As for how I drink it. Black. On occasion with half and half. Never really took to sugar in my coffee.

When out in the woods an instant Starbucks packet is my savior. Again black.

French press, I have three depending on the amount desired and in case one breaks.
I grind the beans fresh using a ceramic burr grinder.

At one time the owner of Starbucks used a press; don't know if he still does.

IMAG1142_zpsff372bba.jpg

Old skool Pyrex percolator.....:cool:

When I just do a few cups, I use a french press.

I use a Bunn and have for years, takes only a few minutes and then it goes in a carafe/thermos. No fu fu (starbucks) coffee here just plain ol coffee made just the way it should be , strong. Usually 6-8 pots a day all the way up to bed time.

Just a heads up to you all: Get another French press for your loose tea; it is wonderful. Republic of Tea is OK, but Upton is far better.

And don't mix the French presses for coffee and tea, OK?

I like to use a French Press with Black Tiger blend from Jim&Patty's.
The recipe I used in the Army was:
15 gallons of boiling water
1 three pound can of coffee

Bring water to a boil in a 15 gal steel pot on top of an M2 burner unit. Shut down the unit
Open the can of coffee and dump entire contents into the hot water, replace lid, let sit for five minutes. Stir the mixture and wait for the grounds to sink.

Get out of the way because the lifers will stampede you when the mess tent opens.

When home I use a stainless steel Faberware stovetop percolator. Deployed, I have a stainless steel insulated french press that has been with me on 6 out of my 9 deployments. The thing is built like a tank and I don't have to worry about any glass breaking with it. It's a 34oz press and I use 4 big spoonfuls of coffee for it. Not sure exactly how much it is, but it fills the void at the bottom between that and the press part. Makes a nice strong cup of coffee. And just plain black coffee for me.

I had a little hand grinder that broke last week so now have beans and no way to grind them, lol. Friend of mine thankfully sent me a couple bags of starbucks ground coffee so I'm good for now, lol.

Bodum French press for leisurely, drip for in a hurry. Always fresh ground. I prefer my coffee room tempreture, brewed the morning before. :confused: Just a touch of Splenda,(I'm diabetic).
We also own an old one gal. aluminum percolator.

Interesting to see a number of percolator fans here. I happen to like perc coffee myself, I just only tend to do it when we go camping. Something about the taste of perc coffee I've always liked.

Husband: "Honey, can you get up and make us a pot of coffee this morning?"

Wife: "No, get out of bed lazybones, that's a man's job."

Husband: "My job? Says who?"

Wife: "Silly, it's in the bible!"

Husband: "No way! But here's the deal... If you can show me where the bible says the man makes coffee, I'll get up and do it!"

Wifey rolled over, reached into a drawer in the nightstand, produced the family bible, riffled through a few pages and smugly laid it open in his lap. And there it was... "Hebrews."

Husband: "Honey, can you get up and make us a pot of coffee this morning?"

Wife: "No, get out of bed lazybones, that's a man's job."

Husband: "My job? Says who?"

Wife: "Silly, it's in the bible!"

Husband: "No way! But here's the deal... If you can show me where the bible says the man makes coffee, I'll get up and do it!"

Wifey rolled over, reached into a drawer in the nightstand, produced the family bible, riffled through a few pages and smugly laid it open in his lap. And there it was... "Hebrews."

Honestly, I prefer to make it myself. My wife makes it far too weak - one of those 1 scoop for an entire pot types.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top